Options

50MB Broadband - £39 with phoneline from September 1st

This is for new and existing customers:

Now: £48 a month with phoneline.
Sept 1st: £39 a month with phoneline.

http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1307695&highlight=

Virgin Media's Next Generation Network Makes UK Broadband History

* UK's first high-speed network complete
* New 50Mb pricing now below GBP 30
* Virgin Media trials higher upstream speeds
* Launch of first Virgin Media branded laptop

LONDON, July 15, 2009 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Virgin Media (Nasdaq:VMED), the UK's only provider of fibre optic broadband services across the country, makes history this month with the completion of Britain's first next-generation broadband network. Having spent the last 18 months conducting significant upgrades using the latest DOCSIS 3.0 technology, Virgin Media has tripled its network capacity and is the first company to offer ultrafast speeds of up to 50Mb to over 12 million homes across the UK.

To celebrate the completion of the network roll-out, Virgin Media announced a new pricing structure for its 50Mb service. From 1st September Virgin Media will reduce the monthly cost of its 50Mb service for new and existing customers to GBP 28, when taken with a phone line, or GBP 38 if taken as a sole product, making the ultrafast service ultra-fantastic value. The 50Mb service continues to be free of traffic management.

Virgin Media will also start a new pilot to trial a range of upload speeds of up to 10Mb -- much faster than the download speeds of most ADSL connections. In addition to trialling the technical capabilities of the DOCSIS 3.0 network, the trial will explore the demand for higher upstream speeds for bandwidth hungry families, on services such as video conferencing, multiplayer gaming and home working.

This week the company will also launch the "Freedom" netbook, its first ever branded laptop. The bespoke laptop, available in black or Virgin red, has been optimised for 50Mb speeds and will be packaged with top of the line software. Both new and existing customers will be able to get the laptop at no additional charge when they take selected great value bundled packages.

Jon James, executive director of broadband at Virgin Media, said, "As the first company to bring broadband to the UK ten years ago, the completion of our next-generation network marks another pioneering moment for internet access in the UK. We are delighted with the performance and reliability of our 50Mb service, and with the customer feedback. Now the roll-out is days from being complete, we're ready to take 50Mb to the next stage of development and reinforce our leading position in the broadband market."

Virgin Media is currently piloting the real-world deployment of 200Mb speeds in Ashford, Kent.

Comments

• Options
    TechnixTechnix Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karl1986 wrote: »
    This is for new and existing customers:

Now: £48 a month with phoneline.
    Sept 1st: £39 a month with phoneline.

http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1307695&highlight=

Virgin Media's Next Generation Network Makes UK Broadband History

* UK's first high-speed network complete
    * New 50Mb pricing now below GBP 30
    * Virgin Media trials higher upstream speeds
    * Launch of first Virgin Media branded laptop

LONDON, July 15, 2009 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Virgin Media (Nasdaq:VMED), the UK's only provider of fibre optic broadband services across the country, makes history this month with the completion of Britain's first next-generation broadband network. Having spent the last 18 months conducting significant upgrades using the latest DOCSIS 3.0 technology, Virgin Media has tripled its network capacity and is the first company to offer ultrafast speeds of up to 50Mb to over 12 million homes across the UK.

To celebrate the completion of the network roll-out, Virgin Media announced a new pricing structure for its 50Mb service. From 1st September Virgin Media will reduce the monthly cost of its 50Mb service for new and existing customers to GBP 28, when taken with a phone line, or GBP 38 if taken as a sole product, making the ultrafast service ultra-fantastic value. The 50Mb service continues to be free of traffic management.

Virgin Media will also start a new pilot to trial a range of upload speeds of up to 10Mb -- much faster than the download speeds of most ADSL connections. In addition to trialling the technical capabilities of the DOCSIS 3.0 network, the trial will explore the demand for higher upstream speeds for bandwidth hungry families, on services such as video conferencing, multiplayer gaming and home working.

This week the company will also launch the "Freedom" netbook, its first ever branded laptop. The bespoke laptop, available in black or Virgin red, has been optimised for 50Mb speeds and will be packaged with top of the line software. Both new and existing customers will be able to get the laptop at no additional charge when they take selected great value bundled packages.

Jon James, executive director of broadband at Virgin Media, said, "As the first company to bring broadband to the UK ten years ago, the completion of our next-generation network marks another pioneering moment for internet access in the UK. We are delighted with the performance and reliability of our 50Mb service, and with the customer feedback. Now the roll-out is days from being complete, we're ready to take 50Mb to the next stage of development and reinforce our leading position in the broadband market."

Virgin Media is currently piloting the real-world deployment of 200Mb speeds in Ashford, Kent.

Even better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Technix wrote: »
    Even better.

That's a load of twaddle imo

At these prices you are going to have a lot more people moving on to 50meg. Therefore Virgin are going to have to put some sort of traffic management policy in place
  • Options
    BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    Lol - they can't win can they

XXL at £35 - 'It's too expensive, no-one will want it, why are Virgin bothering....'

XXL at £28 - 'Too many people will want it, they will have to introduce traffic management...'
  • Options
    Skylover4lifeSkylover4life Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BenMcr77 wrote: »

XXL at £35 - 'It's too expensive, no-one will want it, why are Virgin bothering....'

XXL at £28 - 'Too many people will want it, they will have to introduce traffic management...'

I have no issues with traffic management, even with them applied, alot of people will still get broadband faster than DSL. With me personally, I can get 2 maybe 3Mb DSL speed maximum, so 5Mb cap aint too bad! (dunno if they've changed it since), it's also great how these caps only last a few hours, and not the rest of the month!
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member

Will VIP customers be upgraded to 50Mb (from 20Mb), or will there be a Ultra 'You're Da Man' (:p) VIP pack which will include 50Mb?

Either way, this looks good. Could be time for me to consider buying a Wireless-N router and a USB dongle for the laptop.

First 4 HD channels and now this. All we need now is some free (on XL) ESPN goodness (please? or even the option for ESPN HD ;)) and this would complete a great month for VM.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skinner05 wrote: »
    That's a load of twaddle imo

At these prices you are going to have a lot more people moving on to 50meg. Therefore Virgin are going to have to put some sort of traffic management policy in place
    £36 (give or take a change in VAT) for 20meg, or £38 for 50meg - even if STM gets applied, it's still a good deal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Given that I'm already paying £39 for 20 Meg (even though I'm supposed to be paying £31, I'm getting bored phoning up about it), this sounds like a great price.

I couldn't quite justify it before, but they've come in just under my limit, so roll on September!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    What I am interested to find out is if VIP members will get the £28 pricing as we techincally have a Virgin Phone Line.. I think I will keep an eye on that. :D
  • Options
    JohnrJohnr Posts: 3,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there an installation charge from 10mb to 50mb? If so has anyone managed to get it waived by being a loyal customer (Since 2001!!!).
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on triple xl bundle,what put me of the 50mb package was not the extra tenner a month,it was the insalation charge £70-£75 ,i'm hoping that they can be more flexable at customer loyalty discount's for installation.Cheaper monthly is a really good deal as well,especialy in these finicially dificult times.
    Credit where Credit's due, finnally virgin are getting their act together whith realistic prices and improved t.v. service's (H.D.),long may it continue.
    And i'll just add,really good to see them trail greater upload time's,if they claim to be the best,they MUST give us much faster upload speed's,currant upload speed's embarresing to say the least.
    So tired of u.k. been the poor relative in europe in so many area's,well done virgin.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnr wrote: »
    Is there an installation charge from 10mb to 50mb? If so has anyone managed to get it waived by being a loyal customer (Since 2001!!!).
    The fee is £50 and loyalty does not come into it, you want 50Mb you pay £50.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    SideWeaver I think you'll find VIP users should get a lot less than the 28.00.

I called today and was quoted 21.00 extra per month but having done some research over the forums it appears they offer it at between 5.00 and 10.00 extra per month.

I'm going to try again.

Anyone who has upgraded the VIP care to comment?
  • Options
    Toby53Toby53 Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you add 50m to VIP would you get the free laptop?
    Discuss.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    petey286 wrote: »
    The fee is £50 and loyalty does not come into it, you want 50Mb you pay £50.

well that is not strictly correct! lol. if you write a strong yet clever letter/email you will be surprised what you can achieve! (customer since telewest first came to scotland).
  • Options
    TAZMANUKTAZMANUK Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Question though

if i upgrade to 50meg in september, i know about the install fee £20.00 extra

However the router and dongle that is given free i already have as i bought them to upgrade my wifi network

Would i still be given the router and dongle free when i get the 50meg or will the installer notice i have the router and dongle and not pass them onto me and keep them, or should i remove my router and let him install it ?
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    speedway59 wrote: »

I called today and was quoted 21.00 extra per month but having done some research over the forums it appears they offer it at between 5.00 and 10.00 extra per month.

I'm going to try again.

I upgraded last week and according to the figures I was given I'll be paying an extra £11 a month - that's before this press release
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I called up for an upgrade last Sunday (to be installed on 3rd August) and was also told I would pay £11 extra per month. I currently have XL TV and 20Mb broadband (no phone).
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    speedway59 wrote: »

I'm going to try again.

Interesting prices there. i have been following this for a while as i am also on the VIP package. Just logged into the new customer zone to see whats on there and the self care upgrade page shows the following:
    Pick your new package

Your existing package is Virgin Media broadband Size XL . This is a £37 per month subscription.
    Upgrade to Virgin Media broadband: Size XXL £52 per month subscription

So is the XXL 50mb and if so why is it still be offered online at £52??????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is the XXL 50mb and if so why is it still be offered online at £52??????
    Because the new lower price does not apply until 1st September?

Or have I misunderstood something?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    I'd like to know if I were to upgrade now, would I benefit from the lower rate after the 1st of Sept, and also if it would affect a loyalty discount I currently have on there (which was to bring down my current package to the retail price for the equivalent package some time ago)

Think I'll have to jump on the phone, but I'm not filled with confidence I'll get an answer ;)
  • Options
    BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    Full details of the price changes for XXL and all the bundles haven't yet been released to staff as there is still over a month to go before the change! - so they won't yet know
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Full details of the price changes for XXL and all the bundles haven't yet been released to staff as there is still over a month to go before the change! - so they won't yet know

Personally I would think that is a bit of poor form from the powers that be. If you're implementing a change, and shouting it from the rafters, at least the people that are going to be fielding calls about it all day should be in the loop.

I've not called yet, but the 50mb does appeal, and if I was to upgrade now at the current price and have the reduction applied in Sept, I would consider it now...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XIII wrote: »
    I've not called yet, but the 50mb does appeal, and if I was to upgrade now at the current price and have the reduction applied in Sept, I would consider it now...
    I would imagine that is how it will be for those that upgrade now. I don't see a reason why it should be any different.
  • Options
    cbram1970cbram1970 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    it would be nice if virgin media would charge £50 inc vat for xxl broadband, xl tv, xl home phone including line rental, v+ hd box, virgin could make a real boast claim on the 50 figure, then if customers keep all services they get a £50 credit each year.

They could then market that again as a 12 months for the price of 11.
  • Options
    iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Because the new lower price does not apply until 1st September?

Or have I misunderstood something?

i sure am Mossy!

Virgin seem to have a ridiculously complicated pricing structure.

our bill currently shows £52 for XXL Broadband, and £11 for the phone line.

according to that press release :

'To celebrate the completion of the network roll-out, Virgin Media announced a new pricing structure for its 50Mb service. From 1st September Virgin Media will reduce the monthly cost of its 50Mb service for new and existing customers to GBP 28, when taken with a phone line, or GBP 38 if taken as a sole product, making the ultrafast service ultra-fantastic value. The 50Mb service continues to be free of traffic management.'

does this mean that from 1 Sep, that £52 will change to £28?

Iain