Options

2013 Classic Series DVD releases.

Comments

• Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    We can add the 2 dalek movies to the list. they are getting released on the 27th of may on blu ray for the first time and also getting released on dvd.

Shada (Legacy Box Set): UK: January 7th, US: January 8th
    The Reign of Terror: UK: January 28th, US: NA
    The Ark in Space (SE): UK: February 18, 2013: US: NA
    The Aztecs (SE) (plus Galaxy 4 ep 3): UK: March 11th, US: NA
    Inferno (SE): UK: NA, US: NA
    Dalek Movies (Blu-Ray): UK: May 27th, US: NA
    Terror of the Zygons: UK: June, US: NA
    Spearhead From Space (Blu-Ray): UK: June, US: NA

and

The Mind of Evil
    The Tenth Planet
    The Ice Warriors
    The Underwater Menace: Episode 2

With possible future Special Editions:

The Dalek Invasion of Earth
    The Web Planet
    The Mind Robber
    The Green Death
    Genesis of the Daleks
    Pyramids of Mars
    The Hand of Fear
    Horror of Fang Rock
    City of Death
    The Leisure Hive
    The Visitation
    Earthshock
    The Mark of the Rani
    The Two Doctors
    Revelation of the Daleks
    Ghost Light
    The Curse of Fenric

I need some more US dates. LOL! :)
  • Options
    grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trilobite wrote: »
    I have to say that I find the release of "Special Editions" somewhat irritating, especially since I already own the original DVDs.

They are fine for new purchasers, who might have missed the original release, but I feel that I am always left a little short-changed by the re-release.

I know that the DVD encoding process was a little dire to say the least, on the earlier releases (Robots of Death: the TARDIS spinning through space, and the wooden TARDIS control room have pulsing pixellation).

And as for Bluray "Spearhead from Space: SE" - not a hope in Hell! I had bought it on VHS, Laserdisc (still got it), DVD (times two). No more. Apparently 16mm film stock doesn't translate to digital high definition formats as well as 35mm film. So I shouldn't imagine that it will be very much better than DVD.

Well it wasnt as if you were forced to buy those revisits or those 4 previous versions of spearhead . at the end of a day its a choice. I think its a perfectly fair price considering the cost of a from the ground up restoration and new extras. Having seen the sweeny series 1 on blu ray (which was on 16mm) i would say spearhead will definitly look better than the dvd. Sure it wont be as sharp as 35mm but as they are using the original negs it should turn out pretty good.

Btw spearhead wasnt released on laserdisc acording to this http://www.galaxy4.co.uk/product.thtml?id=3180 Commissioned by Encore in 1997 for the proposed laser disc release of Spearhead from Space which never materialised
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    Shada (Legacy Box Set): UK: January 7th, US: January 8th
    The Reign of Terror: UK: January 28th, US: NA
    The Ark in Space (SE): UK: February 18, 2013: US: NA
    The Aztecs (SE) (plus Galaxy 4 ep 3): UK: March 11th, US: NA
    Inferno (SE): UK: NA, US: NA
    Dalek Movies (Blu-Ray): UK: May 27th, US: NA
    Terror of the Zygons: UK: June, US: NA
    Spearhead From Space (Blu-Ray): UK: June, US: NA

and

The Mind of Evil
    The Tenth Planet
    The Ice Warriors
    The Underwater Menace: Episode 2

With possible future Special Editions:

The Dalek Invasion of Earth
    The Web Planet
    The Mind Robber
    The Green Death
    Genesis of the Daleks
    Pyramids of Mars
    The Hand of Fear
    Horror of Fang Rock
    City of Death
    The Leisure Hive
    The Visitation
    Earthshock
    The Mark of the Rani
    The Two Doctors
    Revelation of the Daleks
    Ghost Light
    The Curse of Fenric

I need some more US dates. LOL! :)

Us releases are normally the 2nd tuesday of the month so probably 12 feb for reign of terror and ark in space and aztecs will probably be 11 march
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babecolour mentioned on facebook yesterday that he has completed 180 shots of mind of evil so that leaves 25 left. Also said the other day that he has to do a shot every day and a half to do as he has a deadline. Ive worked out that his deadline should be about christmas
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (deleted)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    babecolour mentioned on facebook yesterday that he has completed 180 shots of mind of evil so that leaves 25 left. Also said the other day that he has to do a shot every day and a half to do as he has a deadline. Ive worked out that his deadline should be about christmas

Let's hope, oh God let's hope, he finishes in time!:eek:
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who-Fan63 wrote: »

Think you could amp up the anxiety a bit more? :D
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes but i did say it was the first time it is getting released on blu ray plus its a brand new remastered transfer

lol.i don't think i will be revisiting this title myself!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

DONT PANIC! Im sure he will finish in time. If they didnt feel he was going to finish in time he would have dropped out by now
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it wasnt as if you were forced to buy those revisits or those 4 previous versions of spearhead . at the end of a day its a choice. I think its a perfectly fair price considering the cost of a from the ground up restoration and new extras. Having seen the sweeny series 1 on blu ray (which was on 16mm) i would say spearhead will definitly look better than the dvd. Sure it wont be as sharp as 35mm but as they are using the original negs it should turn out pretty good.

Btw spearhead wasnt released on laserdisc acording to this http://www.galaxy4.co.uk/product.thtml?id=3180 Commissioned by Encore in 1997 for the proposed laser disc release of Spearhead from Space which never materialised

Yes you were forced to buy Spearhead DVD re-release if you wanted Terror of the Autons.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It stands for Reverse Standards Conversion, as you may know many of the master colour tapes (625-line PAL) for the Pertwee episodes were wiped during the 70's and 80's just like many of the Hartnell and Troughton episodes which no longer exist at all. However, some of the Pertwee episodes survive as 525-line NTSC colour videotapes found in American TV stations (and a few only as b/w film recordings), with these it was neccessary to convert them back to the UK televison standard of PAL (which is of higher resolution and plays back at 25 frames per second) using the RSC process. Unfortunately, the output of the process isn't really satisfactory as it causes significant fringes around the edges of objects and are less sharper than Pertwee episodes which survive in their original form.

If you have the original Claws of Axos DVD you should watch the special feature on the process for more information.

The following Pertwee episodes have required RSC as their original master tapes were wiped:
    Inferno: Episodes 1-7
    The Claws of Axos: Episodes 2+3
    Colony in Space: Episodes 1-6
    The Curse of Peladon: Episodes 1-4
    The Sea Devils: Episodes 1-3
    The Mutants: Episodes 1+2
    The Time Monster: Episodes 1-6

Also on the SE as an Easter Egg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you were forced to buy Spearhead DVD re-release if you wanted Terror of the Autons.

And at the end of the day its still by choice. its not as if you are being held at gunpoint and forced to hand over your money for it;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And at the end of the day its still by choice. its not as if you are being held at gunpoint and forced to hand over your money for it;)

Or you could get a code-free DVD player and buy the separate Region 1.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know when the Christmas special will be out on DVD? I know it's not been shown yet, and won't be for another five weeks, but I'm still going to be getting it, as I'm a HUGE Dr Who fan. Have been for over seven years now, since Billie Piper was in the show. Love most of the classic Dr stories too. Have every Dr Who DVD that's come out, so far!

I think the Christmas one will be out either sometime between middle to late Jan or early Feb. I searched the web two days ago and found nothing. :(
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Anyone know when the Christmas special will be out on DVD? I know it's not been shown yet, and won't be for another five weeks, but I'm still going to be getting it, as I'm a HUGE Dr Who fan. Have been for over seven years now, since Billie Piper was in the show. Love most of the classic Dr stories too. Have every Dr Who DVD that's come out, so far!

I think the Christmas one will be out either sometime between middle to late Jan or early Feb. I searched the web two days ago and found nothing. :(

The last 2 Xmas specials went up for pre order in the 2nd week of december, so I'd guess it'll be announced around then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »

i did hear something about the 21st jan but have no idea if that is official
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Also on the SE as an Easter Egg.

Indeed, I only found out about it a few days ago, unlike other DVD's it doesn't even mention an Easter Egg is included on the back or the info booklet inside so you don't know unless you search the menus or find out online!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.pointeighteight.com.au/images/web/119782.jpg

Australian artwork of the legacy boxset
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some Aztecs Extras are in
    00:28:08:06 DOCTOR WHO - GALAXY 4
    00:24:19:14 DOCTOR WHO - AIR LOCK
    00:12:10:01 THE EXPLODING PLANET

and

00:49:49:14 CHRONICLE - "THE REALMS OF GOLD"
    00:07:20:06 IT'S A SQUARE WORLD
    00:04:31:07 (A WHOLE SCENE GOING)
    00:22:33:15 DR. FOREVER! - THE CELESTIAL TOYROOM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    some Aztecs Extras are in
    00:28:08:06 DOCTOR WHO - GALAXY 4
    00:24:19:14 DOCTOR WHO - AIR LOCK
    00:12:10:01 THE EXPLODING PLANET

and

00:49:49:14 CHRONICLE - "THE REALMS OF GOLD"
    00:07:20:06 IT'S A SQUARE WORLD
    00:04:31:07 (A WHOLE SCENE GOING)
    00:22:33:15 DR. FOREVER! - THE CELESTIAL TOYROOM

Intriguing... What could those extras be either side of Air Lock? Abbreviated recons like the one they made for Marco Polo?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Intriguing... What could those extras be either side of Air Lock? Abbreviated recons like the one they made for Marco Polo?

I think it was the aborted recon for galaxy 4 that was pulled from the time medlar dvd
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, I only found out about it a few days ago, unlike other DVD's it doesn't even mention an Easter Egg is included on the back or the info booklet inside so you don't know unless you search the menus or find out online!

if you select the audio navigation option on any of the most recently released dvds any easter eggs are listed on the special features option.saves time hunting around for them.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.pointeighteight.com.au/images/web/119782.jpg

Australian artwork of the legacy boxset

I'm looking forward to the coarse language and sexual references (!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you select the audio navigation option on any of the most recently released dvds any easter eggs are listed on the special features option.saves time hunting around for them.

You'll have to work harder to convince me the audio navigation saves time. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/news3/DrWho_ReignOfTerror_e_s.jpg Region 1 artwork for reign of terror. Due in North America on 12 february