HTC One X & One X+ won't get any more Android updates beyond 4.2.2

2»

Comments

• qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    Isn't it a case of those that are aware of the OS and it's updates are the type that would probably go the Odin or similar route, and those that aren't aware don't care or notice anyway?

So not really a problem either way?

ODIN is a Samsung application and doesn't work with HTC

Futhermore it is simply a firmware flasher. It doesn't magically create updated firmware that the manufacturer never released.
  • FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    ODIN is a Samsung application and doesn't work with HTC

Futhermore it is simply a firmware flasher. It doesn't magically create updated firmware that the manufacturer never released.

Learn something new everyday, for some reason I was thinking Odin will work on most Androids. Last three phones have been Samsung so it's never really cropped up.

I take it there's little to no market for flashing/updating HTC phones then?
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just asked Mrs finbaar what version of Android her Galaxy Note is running. She had no idea (for the record it is 4.1.2, Team Union custom rom as the official Samsung firmware was crap. Sometimes updates make phones worse and Samsung has a track record here).

Although I do think most people don't know or care about updates it can have an effect. Most of us on here will be the local phone expert. Also the numpties in phone shops are asked for advice as well. Then there are reviews. Any of these could mention "don't get a HTC as they don't support your phone for 2 years". This could easily sway someone even if they don't understand why.

HTC should make great hardware and abandon Sense. Stock android is so good now it does not need a skin. That would save them money and allow quick updates. The could still give a unique experience the way Motorola did with the X.