Options

How much do waiters/waitresses get in tips?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Some restaurants I use do not allow some staff to accept tips, or share in them.
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In our family run business we spread the tips between everyone who worked that day so it wasn't just for the waitresses it was also for the pot wash and the chefs (they all work hard so should all get tips). Some weeks I got £10 but some I got £30.
    I'm currently a waitress for a wedding company and any tips made goes straight to the owner and we don't get any.
    Remembers every business is different and you may not even get tips, and all business vary in there clientele and how busy they are so you may not get loads some week but lots the next.

Like all income you have to declare it to HMRC.

I was told my HMRC that I didn't have to declare it. They also told my mum that she cannot divide the tips up but one of the other staff members can and that means you don't have to declare it as it's not a wage.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Some restaurants I use do not allow some staff to accept tips, or share in them.

The only place I can recall seeing that recently was Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons* where they actively advised against it.

*Yes, shameless name-dropping, I know.:blush:
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    If supermarket workers did all of my shopping for me while I had a coffee then I'd happily give them a tip.

Supermarket workers start early or work overnight to get stock on shelfs including freshly baked bread. Compare that to someone bringing you your steak and chips with a drink and asking if everything is ok, then you might see my point.
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    Supermarket workers start early or work overnight to get stock on shelfs including freshly baked bread. Compare that to someone bringing you your steak and chips with a drink and asking if everything is ok, then you might see my point.

Whilst I was a waitress I worked from 8am-8pm + some days, run around up and downstairs. Stocked the fridges and shelves, went and did the shopping, served up to 60 in a day and then there could be another 40 at night and whilst doing that I served customers and made sure I gave a good service and you say someone who works in a supermarket does more.
    I recently have left a job at m&s after my contract ended and I did nowhere near as much as I did when working as a waitress both in a restaurant and a massive wedding venue.
  • Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeahbuddy wrote: »
    Snip

I was told my HMRC that I didn't have to declare it. They also told my mum that she cannot divide the tips up but one of the other staff members can and that means you don't have to declare it as it's not a wage.

That's not quite accurate. I do the books and payroll at a pub/restaurant and the cash tips are divided between the waiting and kitchen staff every day. It's up to the individual person to declare these tips, but I know nobody does.

With the credit card tips, I divide them up and not the business owners, but they then go through the payroll called "tronc". That means that the staff member doesn't have to pay NI contributions on this amount, but they're still subject to income tax. My calculations get checked by our accountants on a regular basis to ensure we're handling it correctly to HMRC.
  • Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I was a waitress I worked from 8am-8pm + some days, run around up and downstairs. Stocked the fridges and shelves, went and did the shopping, served up to 60 in a day and then there could be another 40 at night and whilst doing that I served customers and made sure I gave a good service and you say someone who works in a supermarket does more.
    I recently have left a job at m&s after my contract ended and I did nowhere near as much as I did when working as a waitress both in a restaurant and a massive wedding venue.

I know loads of people working in supermarkets who do 12+ hours and yes they work very hard and no, they don't get tips.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,963
    Forum Member
    In our family run business we spread the tips between everyone who worked that day so it wasn't just for the waitresses it was also for the pot wash and the chefs (they all work hard so should all get tips). Some weeks I got £10 but some I got £30.
    I'm currently a waitress for a wedding company and any tips made goes straight to the owner and we don't get any.
    Remembers every business is different and you may not even get tips, and all business vary in there clientele and how busy they are so you may not get loads some week but lots the next.

You might want to check again, unless of course your employer is deducting tax before giving them to you:-

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/working/bens-shares-tips/tips-bonuses.htm
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Why do waiting staff get tips? Why does anyone who works get tipped?

I do tip but because i feel obliged to, like its expected from us. You dont see it in many other jobs do you?

Im sure everyone works hard but most people dont get tipped. Did it originate from the days of family run restaurants where children waited for free so people gave them a little pocket money?

A hairdressers i used to go to had a moneybox for each hairdresser and you always felt obliged to tip especially if you had been in there hours, blocking potential tippers. You would pay nearly £60 and then tip on top.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    The only place I can recall seeing that recently was Le Manoir aux Quat' Saisons* where they actively advised against it.

*Yes, shameless name-dropping, I know.:blush:

This is a local restaurant. They won't let the drinks waitress take tips, but the food waiting staff can accept them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Why do waiting staff get tips? Why does anyone who works get tipped?

I do tip but because i feel obliged to, like its expected from us. You dont see it in many other jobs do you?

Im sure everyone works hard but most people dont get tipped. Did it originate from the days of family run restaurants where children waited for free so people gave them a little pocket money?

A hairdressers i used to go to had a moneybox for each hairdresser and you always felt obliged to tip especially if you had been in there hours, blocking potential tippers. You would pay nearly £60 and then tip on top.

In the UK you could argue they don't deserve tips as they will be on the minimum wage anyway. In the U.S. it's a whole different matter.
  • Options
    Janey_BeeJaney_Bee Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    In the UK you could argue they don't deserve tips as they will be on the minimum wage anyway. In the U.S. it's a whole different matter.

Working as a waitress whilst studying, doing 10 hour non-stop shifts on my feet with no break and no food, was the most exhausting job I ever had, so I'm glad I got tips on top! I always tip, unless the service is awful - minimum wage is diddly squat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Janey_Bee wrote: »
    Working as a waitress whilst studying, doing 10 hour non-stop shifts on my feet with no break and no food, was the most exhausting job I ever had, so I'm glad I got tips on top! I always tip, unless the service is awful - minimum wage is diddly squat.

Yes, but it's the same minimum wage that millions of untipped workers get. It's not in the U.S. which is my point.
  • Options
    QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pet hate when you go to pay the bill and the card machine is set to ask what gratuity you are going to give. Now that's assuming that you were happy with the service and food so I just press CLEAR and carry on. Whole point of a restaurant is to serve good food. You pay enough for it so why should you be EXPECTED to give them a tip as well.

I hate tipping it's like paying to have your meal delivered from the kitchen :o . I would quiet happily go and get it myself :D

So sorry don't expect a tip from me for doing what your paid to do .....

and don't forget that HMRC will also want a cut of it