Anyone Explain This?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
Forum Member
My Broadband only got switched on last week, I was getting about 3.5mbps download speed.

Today I was looking at the BT master socket and noticed that the screws on the faceplate where loose. Instead of grabbing a screwdriver I unplugged the lower faceplate and plugged the ADSL filter directly into the test socket.

I do not have any other phone sockets wired in the house so removing the plate should not have effected anything.

Well I just did another speed test and my Broadband speed has gone up to nearly 5mbps!

How is this possible? Surly removing the lower plate on the master socket could not have caused such and increase? Could it?

Al.

Comments

• tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any wiring connected to the back of the faceplate?

If not, then it's probably just the fact you unplugged your router and replugged it causing it to re-sync with the exchange, and has obtained a higher speed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    No wiring at all, I have 2 other slave sockets in the house but none of them are wired, don't see the point to be honest.

You are probably right about re-syncing with the exchange. In the last few days my speed was at a constant 3.5mbps. Hopefully it stay up at 5mbps for good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    pilot25dmc wrote: »
    No wiring at all, I have 2 other slave sockets in the house but none of them are wired, don't see the point to be honest. .
    Do you mean that there are no wires connecting them to the Master Socket. Seems odd. :D

Seriously the fact that you have those sockets means that when you used the Test Socket, you isolated them. They don't need to be in use to cause interference.

To move forward. Try removing the Orange & White wire(s) from connector 3 on the back of the faceplate of the Master Socket.
    Forum Member
    The wiring from outside is all thats connected to the Master socket (the blue and white ones).

The wiring for the slave sockets is there but just not connected.

I plugged the front plate back in and my speed dropped down again, removing it brings the speed straight back up to 4.55mbps.

Obviously my master socket has a fault in the connection between the front and rear plate. I am just glad I found it as it's nice to get the extra 1mbps that's come out of it.
    Forum Member
    Replace the faceplate. While you are at it, I suggest a pre-filtered faceplate. (One with both a BT telephone socket and an RJ11 socket for the DSL.)
    Forum Member
    I take it the pre-filtered plate just plugs into the existing BT master socket?

I have seen them in Maplins and on eBay but have no idea how they are fitted.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The wiring from outside is all thats connected to the Master socket (the blue and white ones).

The wiring for the slave sockets is there but just not connected.

I plugged the front plate back in and my speed dropped down again, removing it brings the speed straight back up to 4.55mbps.

Obviously my master socket has a fault in the connection between the front and rear plate. I am just glad I found it as it's nice to get the extra 1mbps that's come out of it.

The wiring from the street goes to the backing box of the socket. You can't normally see it. Any wires on the back of the face plate are extension cables not the BT line. It is quite common to use two or even three pair cable to wire up extensions so the unused pairs may be left coiled up under the face plate.
  • iniltousiniltous Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have my router plugged into the test socket and connect at about 3Mb, if I reconnect the consumer panel and then plug the router into the now reassembled master socket, with no extension wiring connected I connect at about 2.5Mb, so although it looks a little messy I leave mine in the test socket..I think the extra mechanical connection of the plug and socket arrangement of the master socket introduces extra losses into the line...hence the lower figure,I doubt that this would account for a difference of 1.5Mb
    Forum Member
    iniltous wrote: »
    I think the extra mechanical connection of the plug and socket arrangement of the master socket introduces extra losses into the line...hence the lower figure,I
    Nope, can't agree. When i do this (a lot) I get identical (or very near) numbers, You have problem.
    Forum Member
    Right, I watched the BT engineer fit the master socket.

All he connected was the blue wire and the White wire, he left all the wiring for the extension sockets, never touched them. I don't need any other phones in the house and none of the other sockets (2 of them) are used as they both have blanking plates on them.

All that's connected to my master socket is the incoming BT wiring from the street.

Plain and simple, why is my broadband slower with the faceplate fitted and faster without it? Surly it should not make a difference seeing as I have no other extension wiring connected to it!
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, can't agree. When i do this (a lot) I get identical (or very near) numbers, You have problem.

That fit's my observation here too. I get the same speed whether in the test socket or the master socket. Same deal - no extensions here either.
    Forum Member
    Plain and simple, why is my broadband slower with the faceplate fitted and faster without it? Surly it should not make a difference seeing as I have no other extension wiring connected to it!
    See post #6. To fit, undo the two screws holding the current faceplate on and replace it with the pre-filtered one.
    Forum Member
    Ordered one from eBay yesterday. I am surprised they are not fitted as standard now.
  • iniltousiniltous Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ordered one from eBay yesterday. I am surprised they are not fitted as standard now.

They are :)
    Forum Member
    iniltous wrote: »
    They are :)

My house is less than 4 months old and my phone was only connected 3 weeks ago and I never got one.

I had to pay £12.00 to get mine.

How come BT never gave me one?

I got mine today anyway and its fitted, speed has not dropped and it is sitting steady at 4.6mbps so I am happy.
    Forum Member
    My house is less than 4 months old and my phone was only connected 3 weeks ago and I never got one.

I had to pay £12.00 to get mine.

How come BT never gave me one?
    Because your house was almost certainly cabled by a sparky working for the developer.
    Forum Member
    Your half right.

The site electrician did the internal telephone wiring and ran the incoming wire out to the junction box but BT installed the Master Socket and connected the incoming wiring to the exchange.

This is how all new houses are done though!
    Forum Member
    This is how all new houses are done though!
    Not all. Many new houses have external boxes to which the electrician connects the Master Socket.
    Forum Member
    If anything this thread has proven why BT can be a total shambles at times.

One rule here, another rule there.

Put the master socket here, put the master socket there. Give them the old version or give them the new version, builders doing half the job for them and they still cock it up.

No-wonder it took 4 months and an email to the CEO of BT to get my phone connected.