Options

England band

LankyLanky Posts: 252
Forum Member
Maybe there'd be more people in Wembley if the band were banned from attending.It's bad enough listening to them on the telly. It must be unbearable to be in the same stadium as them.

Comments

• Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Ban the band, ban the band, ban the band
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The band are terrible, but at the same time I doubt there'd have been a stampede for tickets if people were promised peace and quiet.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine was at an England game at Wembley some years ago and had the gross misfortune to be sitting very close to the band. He said it completely ruined the game for him and many other nearby were complaining to no avail. He and the others he went with pledged never to go to Wembley to see England again until the band is banned.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Add me in - can't bear their repetitive tuneless boring repertoire. If any one group of people is deserving of the literal interpretation of the phrase 'put a sock in it' it's this lot.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I don't understand about these pointless arseholes, is why they even bother?

They must be aware that every single football fan in the country despises them. I have NEVER met, or heard of anyone that even doesn't mind them.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have no issue with them. think its an internet/armchair thing to hate them, not sure those that go to matches really care.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    have no issue with them. think its an internet/armchair thing to hate them, not sure those that go to matches really care.
    A friend of mine was at an England game at Wembley some years ago and had the gross misfortune to be sitting very close to the band. He said it completely ruined the game for him and many other nearby were complaining to no avail. He and the others he went with pledged never to go to Wembley to see England again until the band is banned.

You should probably read the thread, before attempting to make pathetic, snide digs.

Go to many England games yourself?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should probably read the thread, before attempting to make pathetic, snide digs.

Go to many England games yourself?

had just about enough of your rudeness jim. where the hell is the snide? internet is full of negativity, i have never heard fans complain in the stadium myself or down the pub etc, only on forums.

any person who says they refuse to go to england games because of the band isnt a realy england supporter in my eyes. if this thread is about band outting casuals off then yeh fairplay, perhaps. But football fans? i doubt it.

and yes i do go to 2-3 games a year and considering its international team thats quite alot imo as they only play 5-6 games at home max.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    had just about enough of your rudeness jim. where the hell is the snide? internet is full of negativity, i have never heard fans complain in the stadium myself or down the pub etc, only on forums.

any person who says they refuse to go to england games because of the band isnt a realy england supporter in my eyes. if this thread is about band outting casuals off then yeh fairplay, perhaps. But football fans? i doubt it.

and yes i do go to 2-3 games a year and considering its international team thats quite alot imo as they only play 5-6 games at home max.

I also go to the odd England game, the band get right on my tits, and I know that I'm not alone.

You're constantly pulling this 'armchair' crap, and using it to try to belittle others. It's extremely tiresome, so if I came across as 'rude', it's probably due to weariness.

You could have made your point without that comment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its my opinion and nothing more. Am i suppose to be outraged that you believe match going england fans are off put by it? we cant all agree all the time.

and i dont constantly say it all, it was one thread years ago started by someone else, honesty is not appreciated quite clearly but this is overkill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody is 'outraged'.

If the band don't bother you, that's fine. However, my experience would suggest that you're in a very small minority. It would appear that most fans would rather that they jacked it in. To suggest that 'match-going' fans are not bothered is demonstrably incorrect.

What 'honesty' is 'not appreciated', by the way?
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    I may be wrong, but I would've thought the opposite is true if anything, and that maybe it's mostly the occasional part-time fans that maybe only follow England that tolerate the band more than actual football supporters. The sort that demand the players sing the anthem with passion etc.. would probably find the monotonous band as part of the occasion, and not just the game itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody is 'outraged'.

If the band don't bother you, that's fine. However, my experience would suggest that you're in a very small minority. It would appear that most fans would rather that they jacked it in. To suggest that 'match-going' fans are not bothered is demonstrably incorrect.

What 'honesty' is 'not appreciated', by the way?

and in my experience no match going fans have that big an issue with the band, only online fanbase.

dont see me getting mad at you do you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and in my experience no match going fans have that big an issue with the band, only online fanbase.

Who's getting 'mad'?

Fine, you have a different experience to me. That's all that needs saying.
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in my experience no match going fans have that big an issue with the band, only online fanbase.

Would have thought there was some overlap there - and this thread seems to suggest there is.
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member

the fans who go and don't care are the ones who go once in a blue moon.

there are plenty of us ex England members who refused to renew membership and those who wont go to Wembley while the band play. The really hardcore England fans don't go anymore and just give tickets to friends/family so they will collect points for the away games/tournaments.

the FA were practically begging fans to buy tickets for last nights game and word is a lot of local schools/businesses etc were given free tickets just to get people in the stadium. England had atmospheres around the country during the "tour" and the old Wembley didn't need the same 4 songs all night long.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to Molineux tonight for the England under 21's and the atmosphere was dull, right up until the band started playing and then it picked up. Once the band started playing it sounded more like we were at a football match than at the theatre waiting for the show to start!
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to state I think there are other reasons why there are low attendances (although probably quite high compared to the rest of Europe.) Poor world cup, dull games in the qualification group, virtual bye through to the finals (even England should qualify comfortably to this tournament,) travel, cost of tickets and hotels, work the next day etc.

The band would not really be high up the list I would have thought.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never been to an England game, but I have been to matches where there has been a band.

I quite like it, on the condition they play more than one song.
  • Options
    Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    In my opinion, the band are an embarrassment.

In the days of the old Parc des Princes, the band from the Dax Club would be there for France rugby matches. Now, they really did get a crowd going and generated a real atmosphere. They didn't necessarily play music relevant to rugby, just stuff that could generate a lively, boisterous mood amongst the fans.

I haven't heard the Dutch band playing at matches when I've seen their televised games in recent years, but I should imagine they're still around. They do the same for their team and fans.

The object of having a band, I would have thought, would be to create a sort of rumbustious, rollicking mood in the crowd. Put smiles on faces...... get fans clapping and cheering the team on, not to have us thinking dark thoughts about what part of the band's anatomy we'd like to shove their trombone into.

What the England 'band' provides is the first couple of bars from a couple of movie anthems (The Great Escape, The Self Preservation Society) which, as good as they were in the context of the films they were made for, just don't work in a football stadium.

I don't know what members of the Dutch or Dax bands think when they hear them. "Pour l'amour de Dieu , arrêtez". might politely sum it up, although I can think of other things that might also spring to mind.

Either that, or they fall about laughing.

The English fans band is an embarrassment which leaves us all red faced and squirming in our seats at what the continentals must make of us. If that's the best we have to offer, then we're a sorry bunch indeed.

I don't generally advocate mercy killings, but in their case.............
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Read and understand.
  • Options
    Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Tal'shiar wrote: »

Game, set and match, Tal'shiar.

Another kind of informal fallacy that often crops up in online discussions is the Ad Hominem tactic sometimes known as the "Straw Man".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I think most people who use these tactics don't really understand exactly what they're doing. When B is so desperate to "win" the argument that he selectively ignores the central issue and focuses on a small portion of A's words, B is setting up a straw man that he can easily knock down and thus make his side of the argument look superior.

Of course, when this happens, A is faced with a lose-lose dilemma.

I. If he ignores the straw man, it can be argued by B that A is tacitly conceding defeat and that he, B, was right all along.

II. If A chooses to oppose B's straw man, then that becomes the key issue and A's original proposition is buried in the ensuing argument over the straw man.

I suppose there is no real defence against these things, other than, when one occurs, for people to recognise it for what it is and condemn the poster of the straw man for the use of such a feeble and cheesy tactic.

Please, people.... do not respond to this post. I only put it here for the information of the group, not for discussion. Let's get back to talking about the England band.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I signed up to the Ban the England Band campaign on Facebook, it obviously hasnt worked :(
  • Options
    computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The band are here to stay people. Annoying as it is, I accepted it a long time ago.
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    The band are here to stay people. Annoying as it is, I accepted it a long time ago.

True they are, would drive me mad if i had to sit near them at a match, complete waste of time but like you said they are here to stay>:(