Options

I love the Doctor Blake Mysteries so much

owen10owen10 Posts: 128,000
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
It is a shame it has finished because i was really enjoying the series Have they made another series because i cant wait for it to come back

Comments

• Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Hes not on over christmas :(
    I never miss it and then turn over to watch A place called home. Thats aussie as well.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    owen10 wrote: »
    It is a shame it has finished because i was really enjoying the series Have they made another series because i cant wait for it to come back

There have been two series made so far. The most recent ones shown in BBC1 were a repeat of the first series which was preceded by the first showing of the second series.

A 3rd series was ordered earlier this year

If you're interested Alibi have the right to another Australian detective show, Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I remember reading somewhere that Channel 5 had bought the rights to air Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. My Aussie relatives sent me the DVDs and - like Doctor Blake - it's a fabulous series. I really do hope that the ABC continues to make more seasons as they make for wonderful television.

I'm really pleased to see so many Aussie shows hit UK screens. The Australians make some fab telly and it's great that we get the chance to see them as well.
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember reading somewhere that Channel 5 had bought the rights to air Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. My Aussie relatives sent me the DVDs and - like Doctor Blake - it's a fabulous series. I really do hope that the ABC continues to make more seasons as they make for wonderful television.

I'm really pleased to see so many Aussie shows hit UK screens. The Australians make some fab telly and it's great that we get the chance to see them as well.

I just wish they advertised them a bit more!..... I too love Dr Blake and I did watch it last year when it was on but!..... A place to call home I only stumbled across by accident!.....
  • Options
    Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when it was on last year recording it to my HDD because it was on in the afternoons when I was at work. Have only ended up watching the first episode so far! I thought the first episode was pretty good. I'll have to find time to watch the rest of the series sometime soon!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://www.abc.net.au/tv/doctorblake/

A place called home is another brilliant one. It finished today. But they made a 2nd series I hope BBC buy it.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    3rd series has now finished filming.
  • Options
    inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    http://www.abc.net.au/tv/doctorblake/

A place called home is another brilliant one. It finished today. But they made a 2nd series I hope BBC buy it.

Today's was the end of that second series. Thankfully 2 more series in the pipeline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Today's was the end of that second series. Thankfully 2 more series in the pipeline.

I know I read that as well. It was a good series should have been on at a later time. Wasted in the afternoon.
  • Options
    inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely. I only discovered it by chance. Australian tv gets slated for its quality or lack of but this is definitely well produced.
  • Options
    ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Definitely. I only discovered it by chance. Australian tv gets slated for its quality or lack of but this is definitely well produced.

I think the success of Australian daytime soaps in the 80s and 90s has perpetuated the idea that Australian shows are basically superficial melodramas made on a shoestring budget and I believe that is why quality shows like Doctor Blake and A Place to Call Home are shown in the afternoon instead of in primetime with next to no promotion. They are basically used as filler shows for the daytime audience by the channel controllers which is a pity as I do believe that Doctor Blake would be as big a hit as Death in Paradise and Midsomer Murders and APTCH would go down a treat with Downton fans.
  • Options
    TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've recorded them all and still have about 7 to watch, I love it and am definitely a little bit in love with Lucien :blush:
  • Options
    Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when it was on last year recording it to my HDD because it was on in the afternoons when I was at work. Have only ended up watching the first episode so far! I thought the first episode was pretty good. I'll have to find time to watch the rest of the series sometime soon!

I watched the second episode this afternoon from my HDD Recorder. But dissapointed to find that my recording cuts off about 2 or 3 minutes before the end of the episode! Have had a look at the episodes 3 and 4 and the same thing happens! So chances are the rest of the episodes will be like this too! Annoying! It was listed in the TV listing in a 2:15-3:10pm slot. I set it to record each episode from 2:13 to 3:13pm. But each episode has gone on for about 5 minutes later than it should. How bloody annoying! Oh well, I will have to buy the box set instead. Only £11.70 on a certain online retailer.

Also those of you enjoy this series might like to try another Aussie detective series, called Miss Fisher's Murder Myseries. Set in 1920's Melbourne. Not sure if it's been shown on any of the British TV channels. But the DVD box sets are available to buy. I will make a start on this myself once I've finished the Doctor Blake Mysteries Series 1.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying watching these ...... I recorded several before Xmas. My son has bought me a DVD set too which arrived too late for Xmas (different series) so he's going to bring it next time he visits.

I reckon this and A Place to Call Home are miles better than any British stuff.
  • Options
    sarah_2277sarah_2277 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I binged on A place to call home, really enjoyed it and I thought it could give downton abbey a run for it's money. I only came across it by accident after someone mentioned it on here.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also those of you enjoy this series might like to try another Aussie detective series, called Miss Fisher's Murder Myseries. Set in 1920's Melbourne. Not sure if it's been shown on any of the British TV channels. But the DVD box sets are available to buy. I will make a start on this myself once I've finished the Doctor Blake Mysteries Series 1.

Alibi have shown the first two seasons of MFMM and I'm assuming they also have the rights to the third season
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dr Blake was on Sunday on the Alibi channel all day. Ive seen series but it was still nice to watch again.

And I loved a Place called home.

Cant wait for them to come back on the telly.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New series has just started on Alibi channel
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarah_2277 wrote: »
    I binged on A place to call home, really enjoyed it and I thought it could give downton abbey a run for it's money. I only came across it by accident after someone mentioned it on here.

Sarah .... I thought it was miles better than Downton. I got bored with Downton some time ago and didn't watch the more recent ones. APTCH held my attention and I look forward to the next series.