Chers voice last night. Heavily produced and modified

tomharry2tomharry2 Posts: 4,666
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For starters there was the echo machine used. So her voice appeared far away and rolling. A piece of gimmicry that always enhances a voice.

Then there was all the auto tuning and other type of electronic meddling.

The backing track was still loud. Cheryl tried to claim that this was unplugged type of singing. No Cheryl you are wrong as always. There was a million pounds worth of gadgetry between her voice leaving her throat and leaving our speakers.

If Cher had sat in our living rooms and sung that song it would not have sounded the least bit like it did last night.

Comments

• SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    tomharry2 wrote: »
    For starters there was the echo machine used. So her voice appeared far away and rolling. A piece of gimmicry that always enhances a voice.

Then there was all the auto tuning and other type of electronic meddling.

The backing track was still loud. Cheryl tried to claim that this was unplugged type of singing. No Cheryl you are wrong as always. There was a million pounds worth of gadgetry between her voice leaving her throat and leaving our speakers.

If Cher had sat in our living rooms and sung that song it would not have sounded the least bit like it did last night.

Thank you. Maybe some people on here will get real now
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It still wasn't even that good anyway even with all those effects.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    < This!
  • AlephAleph Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    MeganG wrote: »
    < This!

x2

p.s. it's not called an echo machine, its called reverb
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that there was a lot of modification going on.

She was still good though, can't take that away from her as much as I can't take to her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member

LOL
    This

The praise from the Judges are becoming pathetic.
  • EllefEllef Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a week or two ago when Paije and John performed consecutively the sound on their songs was very dull and flat. Someone on these boards described them as sounding "as if they were in a hall", which is about right.

I'm not sure there's miming or autotuning going on, but I do think some acts get a better production soundwise than others. It'd be interesting to hear what any sound engineers on here make of it.
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It wasnt bad but the help she received from producers was over the top.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She sang the song well. get over it
  • RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellef wrote: »
    I remember a week or two ago when Paije and John performed consecutively the sound on their songs was very dull and flat. Someone on these boards described them as sounding "as if they were in a hall", which is about right.

I'm not sure there's miming or autotuning going on, but I do think some acts get a better production soundwise than others. It'd be interesting to hear what any sound engineers on here make of it.

My husband worked as a sound engineer for many years before moving into telecoms. He agrees that each act gets a different treatment - some acts seem to be drowned out by high backing music / vocals, and use of post production such as reverb and slight automatic tuning. Whereas some acts seem to receive a poor production, with EQing not suited to their raw voice, giving the impression of a lack of depth or the 'singing in a hall' effect.

I've probably not typed that as technically as he would, and there's no evidence at all that the poor production is in order to favour some acts over others. It's known widely that ITV are very poor at live broadcasts in general. Fans will always think the ones they dislike are being favoured, if they get through.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donbon wrote: »

Some people just can't. They can't accept that she gave a wonderful performance :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Actually it is called Echo, not reverb.... though she had both on her voice :)

Echo (delay) is where the original note is repeated and decayed, reverb is that sound you get singing in a big room or a church.

The odd thing was that the delay was on the backing track (as ive said previously) meaning that there was a pre-recorded version of her singing the song underneath her live vocal.... this is a little bit of a cheat as it helps the singer to hear the correct notes and phrasing just ahead of them having to sing it.

Of course, what we hear on TV is far removed from the sound on the stage, you would be shocked if you heard just any singer or band if you only heard the real stage/monitor mix.... you would think it was awful, and not just Cher, anyone :)

So yeah she did have quite a bit of assistance with her vocal, and yes its a little unfair.
  • tomharry2tomharry2 Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Cheryl said

there is nothing between your voice and the audience.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    It was ok , but I was disappointed when she started to sing'you better hope and prey' she should have been an octave lower and the lights could have been in a diffferent position to make it look like she had changed her personality, but hey ho, they never get it right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    I have no doubt that Cher had a lot of technical back-up which did enhance the performance. I also have no doubt that Cher still did sing well and put on the performance of the night.

You can't change a fundantally poor performance in to what we saw and heard last night with all that gadgeterry.
  • prasanthprasanth Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ohh, can the show do this though? I mean, are they actually allowed to tamper with the sound output on the live shows? I know the reverb is used alot during the shows, but apart from that? :confused::: :o I know proper artists have this done when they perform live, but I thought it was against the rules for contestants? Or not?
  • FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    donbon wrote: »

All people have gone about it is when she'll actually just sing and now she does - much better than expected - these same people can't handle it and find other ways to denigrate her performance.

A bit tragic really.
    Forum Member
    Fringo wrote: »
    All people have gone about it is when she'll actually just sing and now she does - much better than expected - these same people can't handle it and find other ways to denigrate her performance.

A bit tragic really.

Thankfully though very many people on here ( many who have said they disslike and to some extent still do ) have felt that they saw and heard a really good performance last week.

Hence her position at the top of the poll for best performance of the week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cher is hopeless - i for one cant stand her whinging little voice. I just dont get it - cant see the talent ...and dont get me started on the bad rapping - she is like a cheap alesia dixon. cant wait for her to be booted out
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people just can't. They can't accept that she gave a wonderful performance :D

some people are easily pleased others are more discerning! that's all:rolleyes:
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fringo wrote: »

A bit tragic really.

I think you'll find most of her detractors - myself included - praised her for her performance last night, just said that it hasn't made them like her. I don't just change my mind on people on one performance. Cher was good, best she has been so far, but I still can't take to her.

Apparently THAT is not good enough for her fans.
  • linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently, Dannii and Louis are wading in on the backing track controversy, according to this DS article: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s103/the-x-factor/news/a285151/minogue-walsh-angry-over-backing-tracks.html

Sometimes it seems DS have similar headlines according to what's being written on the forums....
    Forum Member
    moll41 wrote: »
    some people are easily pleased others are more discerning! that's all:rolleyes:

..and some folk set themselves up as arrogant know-betters :rolleyes:
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Frankly all this gadgetry and overloud backing tracks should go - so we can hear the real singer.

Matt, Mary and Rebecca would then be well ahead of the others - as they probably are in the voting anyway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    I think you'll find most of her detractors - myself included - praised her for her performance last night, just said that it hasn't made them like her. I don't just change my mind on people on one performance. Cher was good, best she has been so far, but I still can't take to her.

Apparently THAT is not good enough for her fans.

Hear hear.

I thought Cher was great last night, but I do not like her act in general. I am happy to calmly discuss this but it's like there's two different conversations going on between people who are able to be mature about the whole thing and people who are all "ZOMG YOU JUST HATE HER YOU HATER" or alternatively "YOU JUST LOVE HER YOU CHAV"

It's all getting very tiring. This is an interesting thread in which various people who actually know something about the effects that are put on music in live entertainment shows are providing information that I, personally, didn't know and find interesting. There's simply no need for it to get personal.