Options

Supernatural Season 1

2»

Comments

• Options
    .Haley..Haley. Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    biggebruv wrote: »
    its mad to think how big that castiel character has gotten within his introduction on S4

reading some fans views its like theyll think the show will not be as good without him yet the first 3 seasons were cas free
    I know. It's almost as if they care more about Castiel than they do about Sam and Dean. I can't believe some fans want Castiel to take Sam's place!

I've always thought of him as a Ruby type character. Not that he's evil but he has the same status on the show. And then suddenly Dean's like 'you're family'. And everybody's more worried about Sam and Dean betraying Castiel rather than Castiel bringing down Sam's wall. And I'm just 'WHAT...?'. :confused:
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I've only recently finished season 6 and I have to say I struggled with it. There were a few standout episodes but the rest were piss poor.

I liked the dry humour from the earlier seasons but lately imo its bordering on slapstick and I find it really jarring
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    I have just finished series 1 too, and am also finding it difficult to get into. I am not really into monster of the week storylines, much prefer arcs. Does it get better? I hope so, as I have series 2 and 3 on dvd, and 4 on blu ray still to watch.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred the earlier seasons, Just liked some of the creepy ghost episodes more. Provenance is a fave episode of mine. It seems to have moved away from that tone now. Still a great show, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rain426 wrote: »
    I preferred the earlier seasons, Just liked some of the creepy ghost episodes more. Provenance is a fave episode of mine. It seems to have moved away from that tone now. Still a great show, though.

In what way? Without giving too much away.
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,907
    Forum Member
    I have just finished series 1 too, and am also finding it difficult to get into. I am not really into monster of the week storylines, much prefer arcs. Does it get better? I hope so, as I have series 2 and 3 on dvd, and 4 on blu ray still to watch.

There is a story arc that runs through Seasons 1 and 2, which finishes at the Season 2 finale. Then there is another arc that runs from Seasons 3-5. And although that arc is finished, the arc for Season 6 looks to be similar (although we've only had 3 episodes of Season 6 so we don't really know what's to come).

Seasons 1 and 2 are quite Monster Of The Week orientated. After that there are a greater number of 'story arc' episodes.

I'd suggest sticking with it for Season 2, as the chemistry between Dean and Sam really takes off and helps the episodes a lot.

Also, I've never understood people who buy entire series of shows they've never seen. You've bought 1-4 on dvd and bluray, seems like a waste of money if you decide you don't like it. Would be more sensible to buy the first season and see how you like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SteelEdge wrote: »

Also, I've never understood people who buy entire series of shows they've never seen. You've bought 1-4 on dvd and bluray, seems like a waste of money if you decide you don't like it. Would be more sensible to buy the first season and see how you like it.

Do it all the time. Just bought Smallville 1-6, deadwood 1-3 and the Tudors 1-4 and have never seen an episode of any of them. If they don't work out, I will sell them. Saying that though, Supernatural 1-3 was on offer at £25, which I thought was pretty cheap and worth the risk.
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Do it all the time. Just bought Smallville 1-6, deadwood 1-3 and the Tudors 1-4 and have never seen an episode of any of them. If they don't work out, I will sell them. Saying that though, Supernatural 1-3 was on offer at £25, which I thought was pretty cheap and worth the risk.

A friend of mine got Supernatural 1-3 for a fiver, brand new in a charity shop!

I have to say I quite agree though, I don't think i'd get a whole series without knowing whether I was into it first although I got Season 1 of Supernatural for christmas without having ever seen it and ordered 2-4 after having watched some of the episodes - but people had been telling me for years I would like it.
  • Options
    biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member

you should of least checked s1 out online or something

i dont think id ever have the courage to spent money on multiple season boxsets of shows i dont know weather id like or not LOL
    anyways

by the end of s1 i loved loved this show and knew it was my sorta show if you dont like it by then i doubt you will get into s2 or the rest
  • Options
    WillbertWillbert Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've just finished Season 1 and have the box sets of 2 & 3 ready to go. I really enjoyed the finale to Season 1, although
    I knew in the final episode that they would paint the Key of Solomon on the ceiling in order to trap Meg. I gussed it as soon as they were discussing it.

I also sussed that John was the demon at the end of the final episode.

Looking forward to starting season 2 tonight or tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have started series 2 now, watched the first couple of episodes. Have to say that I have seen a jump in quality, especially in the characterisation of the 2 leads. That's 5 good eps in a row now, the last 3 eps of series 1 and first 2 of series 2.
  • Options
    .Haley..Haley. Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    I've always thought the end of S1 is when Supernatural really started to take off. And S2&3 were absolutely fantastic.

S4&5 were good but there was defenitely a change in storyline and tone. And S6, to be honest, was a disappointment.

I'm hoping next season goes back to the S1-3 feel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first couple of seasons (S1 in particular) are really good but after that I found that it changed a lot and wasn't as much fun as it used to be and then I completely lost interest with all the angels stuff. But the early days where they aren't trying to tell huge stories on a TV budget and instead just travel from town to town fighting creatures are much better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have finished off season 1 and are right nearing the end of Season 2 now. Dean just gets better and better every episode. I'm not that keen on Sam though, he's a bit emo/whiney for me, but the contrast of the two bothers is good.

I'm glad that
    their Dad died, as I couldn't stand him
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Supernatural is just absolutely incredible. I remember when I watched the first series, it took me ages to get through it, cos it didn't really flow as well...but once you get onto the second series and onwards, it's just brilliant!

I just think both Dean and Sam Winchester are brilliant characters. Supernatural just has a bit of everything...it can be scary, but funny, heart-touching etc. I can't gush over it enough, haha.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished Season 2, excellent two part ending. I'm glad that they were able to bring that plotline to a decent conclusion.

I'm interested to see how they go for Season 3 with
    Deans deal and how Sam is trying to get him out of it, possibly at his own expense.

The 3rd to last episode of S2 with
    Deans alternate reality, was brilliant and really touching.

I'll keep using spoilers as there are people who have posted in this thread that have yet to watch S1 or S2.
  • Options
    biggebruvbiggebruv Posts: 6,626
    Forum Member
    i loved the S2 FINALE it is probley my favorite finale out of them all IMO

if the show got the axe at that point i guess i would be kinda happy with that ending but thankfully it didt LOL
    on 1st hearing of deans deal i just knew it was an epic setout for s3 that this is the goal put in place for s3s story it was a brilient idea
    and although S3 turned out perfect its a shame they didt get the full 22ep run and were hit by the writers strike

even worse is 1episode based around the whole ghostfacers thing which was surely a result of the strike if not then WTF LOL
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    SteelEdge wrote: »
    How could you forget Changing Channels (I think that's what it is called) from Season 5. The one where Sam and Dean are...
    ...stuck in a variety of tv shows.

The special opening titles for that episode were absolute genius! :D

I watched this episode for the first time the other night and absolutely loved it. One of my favourite episodes ever! The CSI scenes were just too funny.