EastEnders backlash as New Martin debut, viewers want the old one back:

1235»

Comments

• Dan-BevisDan-Bevis Posts: 12,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan-Bevis wrote: »
    I only just remembered I haven't seen yesterday's ep yet, but James was so dull in his delivery as Martin [as was his character really] that I'm sure this new face can't be that bad.

He looks and sounds completely inoffensive to me.

Real 'one of the normal lads' quality to him which Martin always had. I'm sure he and Kush will be a good friendship when we see them on-screen together.
  • shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Social media is never happy about anything. Anyone knee-jerking after 5 seconds of screen time are probably not the most rational people at the best of times.

They had to bring Martin back after the hatchet job they did on him to try and make Saint Sonia happen - James didn't want back so they recast him and it was absolutely the right decision. I have no problem with characters getting new heads if they need to. NuMartin seems from the promo shots and that massive 5 seconds of airtime to be a decent recast. It'll be good to have the character back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    erm, viewers want old Martin back..new one was any in it at the end seconds haha ..give him chance
  • bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    He's not strung Eastenders along at all.

He's been asked if he'd ever return to the show in interviews and responded "never say never". Then Eastenders have given him an offer this year and he's declined and given them his blessing for the recast.

This forum loves to create bollocks and drama out of nothing.

Someone talking sense. The crap people spout on here assuming they know personal correspondence between actors and producers is quite something.
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    How can people not like him already? He barely said two words?:confused::confused:
  • D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardly surprising.

You can't recast Martin Fowler. James Alexandrou was in the show from a young age and was the last Fowler standing, also the last 'Martin' to act with Pauline and Mark.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I looted a few shops today in protest at the recast. That's my christmas shopping done. Blaupunkt TVs all round this year.
  • sqwidge1978sqwidge1978 Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't get the fuss its not the first time Martians been recast
  • sqwidge1978sqwidge1978 Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original Martin appeared for the same length of time as James. Would we have had the same backlash then if twitter and social media existed then !!!
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People have been moaning about the non appearance of Martin, the new one needs to be given a chance
  • Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The original Martin appeared for the same length of time as James. Would we have had the same backlash then if twitter and social media existed then !!!

I doubt it. The original Martin barely uttered a word the entire time he was on the show. Martin existed prior to James Alexandrou but he didn't become an actual character until that point. For all intents and purposes James Alexandrou is the original Martin. The character had no personality, no storylines and no dialogue until 1996.

That said I'm prepared to give the new actor a chance and it's obvious James Alexandrou has absolutely no interest in playing Martin again so it's a recast or nothing.