Sam Bailey and Syco

Crabbie123Crabbie123 Posts: 8,478
Forum Member
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/x-factors-ben-haenow-crowned-4824252

If this story is true, then the worst part for me is that they aren't talking to her. Her contract is up and they haven't told her what is happening, which is the least they owe her. It says a lot about the sort of people who run that label.

Comments

• magicmelodymagicmelody Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't the same happen to Leon? He only found out he was dropped after reading the newspapers.
  • mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing new from Syco, really. Leon Jackson found out he'd been dropped by reading about it in the press. Didn't Joe find out via a text message or something similar too?
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was always obvious that she would be dropped. However, I thought Syco would at least try to make it look as if they had tried to make her a success. The only single she's ever released is her X Factor winners single.
  • mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was always obvious that she would be dropped. However, I thought Syco would at least try to make it look as if they had tried to make her a success. The only single she's ever released is her X Factor winners single.

I don't know it's certain that she'll be dropped, at least not immediately. She sold a decent number of albums. Having said that, she would quite probably be better off if she got picked up by someone else who might actually try to do more with her than get her to record cover after cover.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve - Dropped
    Shayne - Dropped
    Leona - Left...and she was dying to do so
    Leon - Dropped
    Alexandra - Left...she was put aside for ages
    Joe - Dropped
    Matt - Dropped
    James - Dropped
    Sam - Dropped (likely)

That's absolutely awful and shows what a shark Simon Cowell is. If I was Little Mix I would be very worried. They're the only winner that Simon/Syco still has (obviously Ben too now). They better hope that he plans to devote some of his time to then next year. I know they have an album coming out, but will be be bothered to invest enough in the promo?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmpfb wrote: »
    I don't know it's certain that she'll be dropped, at least not immediately. She sold a decent number of albums. Having said that, she would quite probably be better off if she got picked up by someone else who might actually try to do more with her than get her to record cover after cover.

Yeah, I think she needs a label similar to Joe. She might have sold a decent number of albums, but there's no way Simon will work with her for long.
  • Crabbie123Crabbie123 Posts: 8,478
    Forum Member
    Steve - Dropped
    Shayne - Dropped
    Leon - Dropped
    Joe - Dropped
    Matt - Dropped
    James - Dropped
    Sam - Dropped (likely)

That's absolutely awful and shows what a shark Simon Cowell is. If I was Little Mix I would be very worried. They're the only winner that Simon/Syco still has (obviously Ben too now). They better hope that he plans to devote some of his time to then next year. I know they have an album coming out, but will be be bothered to invest enough in the promo?

Matt has always said it was his decision to leave Syco - he was offered a second album, but didn't like the direction the A&R wanted to go.
  • chloebchloeb Posts: 6,501
    Forum Member

Might be because she immediately found herself pregnant and took leave...
  • AmusedmooseAmusedmoose Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve - Dropped
    Shayne - Dropped
    Leon - Dropped
    Joe - Dropped
    Matt - Dropped
    James - Dropped
    Sam - Dropped (likely)

I'll add a few more to that list:

Same Difference - Dropped
    Rhydian - Walked away after they gave him the cold shoulder and didn't allow him to promote his previous album on X Factor
    Paul Potts - Dropped (Given his success seemed like a crazy decision to me.)
    Jedward - Dropped
    Cher Lloyd - Dropped
    Loveable Rouges - Dropped
    Jonathan and Charlotte - Dropped
  • RabidWolverine1RabidWolverine1 Posts: 8,137
    Forum Member
    Crabbie123 wrote: »
    Matt has always said it was his decision to leave Syco - he was offered a second album, but didn't like the direction the A&R wanted to go.

Yeah this. Columbia/Syco thought a new direction (Supposedly more Syco style pop so im guessing a little less Columbia's decision than Syco) was needed since he only got to Number 2, but he only missed out on the top spot from the debut "solo" album of Noel Gallagher's High Flying Solo Birds who was fresh off breaking up Oasis.

Anything Noel releases album wise shoots up the charts because he has his loyal fan base.
    Forum Member
    JazzyJaney wrote: »

Rhydian - Walked away after they gave him the cold shoulder and didn't allow him to promote his previous album on X Factor
    Jedward - Dropped
    Cher Lloyd - Dropped

Simon Cowell & Syco are mostly interested in short term cash cows, they don't care whether an artist has longevity if the money starts coming in slower.

Then they defend the decision because they get 1 act out of 100 who do have some form on longevity like One Direction :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Jedward - Dropped
    Cher Lloyd - Dropped

Also, something very fishy regarding The Luminites from BGT that had Steph Nala in. Simon loved them on BGT...you could see pound signs ringing in his eyes/ears. He especially loved Steph. They released a single after the show, but were given absolutely no promo whatsoever so of course it flopped. Suddenly, Steph who he loved appears on X Factor. I reckon she was told by bosses at Syco to audition.
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member

Jedward - Dropped
    Cher Lloyd - Dropped
    Simon Cowell & Syco are mostly interested in short term cash cows, they don't care whether an artist has longevity if the money starts coming in slower.

Then they defend the decision because they get 1 act out of 100 who do have some form on longevity like One Direction :confused:

Not all acts are signed to Syco. Some are signed to Columbia, Epic or RCA. Some have joint deals - Olly (Syco/Epic), Matt had a joint deal with Columbia.

The likes of Nicholas, Marcus and Jahmene were never signed to Syco (RCA), Union J moved from RCA to Epic,

EDIT: No problem Rabid Wolverine :)
    Forum Member
    Not all acts are signed to Syco. Some are signed to Columbia, Epic or RCA. Some have joint deals - Olly (Syco/Epic), Matt had a joint deal with Columbia.

The likes of Nicholas, Marcus and Jahmene were never signed to Syco (RCA), Union J moved from RCA to Epic,

Yeah im aware of that sorry. My comment was a generlization as Syco still have some sort of say :)
  • Eva_Coco_MayEva_Coco_May Posts: 3,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why winning is a curse, you either get dropped or put aside for someone better.
    Forum Member
    S

Leigh-Anne's mother has been vocal on twitter about the lack of commitment and promotion shown by Syco/Modest, compared to 1D and now Fifth Harmony. Definitely think there's some tension behind the scenes.
  • Eva_Coco_MayEva_Coco_May Posts: 3,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Mix, lack of promotion? really, They've done well - scoring a single with missy elliott, they have had some excellent material.
    Forum Member
    Little Mix, lack of promotion? really, They've done well - scoring a single with missy elliott, they have had some excellent material.

I think they are more frustrated with their international campaigns. A few weeks in the US is not really enough to expand a fanbase.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they are more frustrated with their international campaigns. A few weeks in the US is not really enough to expand a fanbase.

Is that Syco's fault though, wouldn't that be up to their US label to arrange.
  • SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    And the future for Ben Haenow is...............
    Forum Member
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    And the future for Ben Haenow is...............

Still to be written. Hes been on a record deal for what 3 days? Give him a chance :)
  • TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since winning the show Sam has only released a Mother’s Day album of covers back in March called The Power of Love, which got to No.1.

A deluxe edition has been released for Christmas but she hasn’t released any singles since her winner’s record Skyscraper last year, which was the Christmas No.1.

Really? She doesn't deserve another deal if her only output in a year is cheesy shite like a Mother's Day album full of covers. The music scene's well rid.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think a lot of people realised she wasn't the 'right winner' as far as Cowell was concerned and predicted she'd be quietly binned.
    Cowell is all about the ££££££ and she's not what he wants
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it's not politically correct to say but getting up the duff so soon after winning wasn't going to do her career any good. The public is very fickle and you need to be in the public eye to build and keep a fanbase and career.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Think a lot of people realised she wasn't the 'right winner' as far as Cowell was concerned and predicted she'd be quietly binned.
    Cowell is all about the ££££££ and she's not what he wants

So who was the right winner last year? It was a two horse race between Sam and Nicholas. Luke almost caught up but not till the final. Rough Copy were hit and miss and Tamera was too inexperienced. Paul might have gone a lot further last year, but they chose pretty faced Sam C ;-)