Options

Rest easy everyone.........................

duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
Forum Member
✭✭
......................there will be no break up of the United Kingdom. Ed Milliband has a cunning plan!!!

He's going to bring in a man of integrity, a man we all trust and know, the countrys greatest ever leader.

Yep it's Scunner Broon;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1384730/Could-Brown-save-Scotland-UK--Miliband-urges-Gordon-stop-old-enemy-Salmond-breaking-Union.html

That should push up a yes vote for independence almost overnight! :D

Comments

• Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    Well, he would do a better job than Cameron. How many seats do the Tories have? Who would listen to them in Scotland?
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, he would do a better job than Cameron. How many seats do the Tories have? Who would listen to them in Scotland?

I don't know, if this is true I think Salmond might just listen to Cameron at least.
    Alex Salmond has won his first concession from David Cameron after his party's historic election victory on Thursday, with a pledge that Scotland can begin borrowing hundreds of millions of pounds to fund public projects in future years.

The Government has acceded to the Scottish National Party leader's demands for immediate authority to borrow at least £300m annually from the Treasury to help boost Scotland's economic recovery. Mr Salmond had been demanding the change – in the face of resistance from Westminster – during the passage of the Scotland Bill, which will devolve a number of economic powers from London to Edinburgh.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cameron-offers-major-concessions-to-salmond-2280807.html

I'm still trying to understand how Cameron can keep pledging money to help other Countries when acccording to him we haven't got any money. :confused:

Won't he need to get even more money from somewhere to keep his pledges ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still trying to understand how Cameron can keep pledging money to help other Countries when acccording to him we haven't got any money. :confused:

Won't he need to get even more money from somewhere to keep his pledges ?

I think the clue is in the word "borrow" GM. Depends what the interest charge to Scotland is. Cameron may even make a profit. ;)
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I don't know, if this is true I think Salmond might just listen to Cameron at least.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cameron-offers-major-concessions-to-salmond-2280807.html

In other words Salmond is borrowing money from the Westminster treasury to fund public works in Scotland which Salmond can then use as a lever to get a 'Yes' vote from the Scottish public in a referendum?

I hope the treasury is making a note of every single penny that it's 'lending'.
  • Options
    belfastkidbelfastkid Posts: 2,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont agree with independent scotland or anything (or any part of the Uk for that matter).

But why does Ed not just come out and say he wants to stop the people getting what they want?? Why doesent he let it go ahead? Is he scared the people will tell him what he doesent want to hear? If so then actively trying to stop the referendum is basically saying "screw all you people your views dont matter."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the clue is in the word "borrow" GM. Depends what the interest charge to Scotland is. Cameron may even make a profit. ;)

My point is we are not supposed to have any money yet everyone knows you need to have money before you can allow someone to borrow off you.

So where has the money come from, have we had it all along or has this Government been borrowing more money and will the interest we get off this money just go towards paying the money off that the government is borrowing. ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My point is we are not supposed to have any money yet everyone knows you need to have money before you can allow someone to borrow off you.

So where has the money come from, have we had it all along or has this Government been borrowing more money and will the interest we get off this money just go towards paying the money off that the government is borrowing. ?

No idea GM, but if Dave borrows the money at 3% and lends it to Eck at 6% then it's a good deal isn't it?

For Dave that is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea GM, but if Dave borrows the money at 3% and lends it to Eck at 6% then it's a good deal isn't it?

For Dave that is.

Yes but if he doesn't then it isn't.

BTW who's Eck ? :confused:
  • Options
    J LeninJ Lenin Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ......................there will be no break up of the United Kingdom. Ed Milliband has a cunning plan!!!

He's going to bring in a man of integrity, a man we all trust and know, the countrys greatest ever leader.

Yep it's Scunner Broon;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1384730/Could-Brown-save-Scotland-UK--Miliband-urges-Gordon-stop-old-enemy-Salmond-breaking-Union.html

That should push up a yes vote for independence almost overnight! :D

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion.
    Scotland voted for Gordon Brown in 2010 - actually there was a small swing to Labour. We do not fall for the media fuelled nonsense that rubbished Gordon Brown.
    He is a highly respected politician in Scotland.
    I think if he had been leader of Scottish Labour we might have had a quite different result.

I would welcome him now as Leader of Scottish Labour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

People called Alec or Alex are sometimes referred to as Eck in Scotland although it is not that common a nickname in that context. It is more common for someone called Eric to be called Eck or indeed Eckie.
  • Options
    GlastonGlaston Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    everyone knows you need to have money before you can allow someone to borrow off you.
    I hope you informed G Brown of this important "fact".
    He missed the message I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J Lenin wrote: »
    People called Alec or Alex are sometimes referred to as Eck in Scotland although it is not that common a nickname in that context. It is more common for someone called Eric to be called Eck or indeed Eckie.

Maybe in your part of Scotland JL, but Eck has always been the sobriquet for Alec and Alex over here in the East. ;)
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member

Optional boss in Heroic Gundrak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe in your part of Scotland JL, but Eck has always been the sobriquet for Alec and Alex over here in the East. ;)

Mr or Mrs or indeed Miss Mallard I have just noticed the Caledonia thing. You should know that Gordon Brown is pretty well liked in Scotland. Why did you start this thread?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr or Mrs or indeed Miss Mallard I have just noticed the Caledonia thing. You should know that Gordon Brown is pretty well liked in Scotland. Why did you start this thread?

(Mr)

Is he really? Perhaps in the area around Glenrothes/Kirkcaldy but then, thats Fifers for you. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (Mr)

Is he really? Perhaps in the area around Glenrothes/Kirkcaldy but then, thats Fifers for you. :D

But you know that there was a swing to Labour in Scotland at the last GE?
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think Brown is a decent man, he just wasn't a leader. He was ridiculous as PM, it should not have happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hadn't realised that it was name I've heard people say by 'eck and 'ecky thump etc but I've never heard Eck and Eckie as nicknames for Alex and Eric

Still they do say you learn something new everyday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    I still think Brown is a decent man, he just wasn't a leader. He was ridiculous as PM, it should not have happened.

I think he is a decent man also. Things did go horribly wrong for him but he did take over at the **** end so to speak. I think the election that never was did for him. He was made to look stupid and never really recovered. I do not believe that Brown wanted an election but he allowed the speculation to grow. He should have stamped on it staright away or called an election. Bet he wishes he had now - he would still be PM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't realised that it was name I've heard people say by 'eck and 'ecky thump etc but I've never heard Eck and Eckie as nicknames for Alex and Eric

Still they do say you learn something new everyday.

I think these nicknames are predominantly Scottish.
  • Options
    PhoebidasPhoebidas Posts: 3,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion.
    Scotland voted for Gordon Brown in 2010 - actually there was a small swing to Labour. We do not fall for the media fuelled nonsense that rubbished Gordon Brown.
    He is a highly respected politician in Scotland.
    I think if he had been leader of Scottish Labour we might have had a quite different result.

I would welcome him now as Leader of Scottish Labour.

Not in all of Scotland. Just as many in Scotland as in England have a low opinion of him, even in Glasgow.
  • Options
    PhoebidasPhoebidas Posts: 3,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you know that there was a swing to Labour in Scotland at the last GE?

Some voted 'tactically' in what they saw as a Labour/Conservative fight.
  • Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    " He is a highly respected politician"

It made no difference on May 7th when the Kirkcaldy seat fell to the SNP and gave them the magic 65 seats for a majority!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airam wrote: »
    " He is a highly respected politician"

It made no difference on May 7th when the Kirkcaldy seat fell to the SNP and gave them the magic 65 seats for a majority!

Does that mean Gordon Brown isn't the MP for Kirkcaldy anymore ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does that mean Gordon Brown isn't the MP for Kirkcaldy anymore ?

He might as well not be GM, when you look at his performance in Parliament since the GE;

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/gordon_brown/kirkcaldy_and_cowdenbeath#hansard