Options

Sequels That Never Happened

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
This thread is for all the sequels of movies that was originally penned or rumoured but never happened, for whatever reason

I'll start

Blue Streak 2 - I enjoyed the first one so much that I was excited when they was talking about it bringing out a sequel. Unfortunately it never happened.

Comments

• Options
    NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    Batman Triumphant: Was planned for a release in 1999, but was scrapped after the critical and commercial failure that was Batman & Robin.

Home Alone 3 (with original cast):
    The third film was pitched at the same time as Home Alone 2 and were planned to be filmed back to back but plans fell through. In the mid 90s the idea for the movie was revived with early dafts called for Macaulay Culkin to return as a teenage version of his character but he had retired from acting by then, so they changed it into what we have now.

Mrs Doubtfire 2: Robin Williams death sealed it's fate.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    E.T.

More surprising because it was such a massive hit, and that in itself is normally enough to greenlight a sequel.

It's not that I even wanted a sequel or think they should have made one, but actually part of me admires Spielberg for not bowing to pressure and just making a sequel for the hell of it.

I guess also back then Hollywood was not as franchise-crazy as it is now.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beetlejuice goes hawiian. On of those projects that have been pushed by movie producers for decades. Hopfully it'll never happen....
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe there is a Beetlejuice 2 planned for filming next year with Michael Keaton back in the role, but the original idea has been changed and it is essentially the character returning to taunt another recently dead couple with possible cameos from the original cast in some form.
  • Options
    BigDaveXBigDaveX Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently they were going to make a True Lies 2 in 2003 or 2004, but it got stalled by Arnie becoming the Governator. They then tried to turn it into a vehicle for Eliza Dushku, but it ended up going nowhere.

A spin-off for the character of Jinx from Die Another Day was planned even before that movie came out... and ditched the minute the reviews for Catwoman came in.

There was also apparently some other Star Trek prequel that they were planning in the mid-2000s, which would have been set a decade or so after Enterprise and may even have had some of the cast from that series, but from what I've heard it was never actually a legitimate project, just something that Paramount gave Rick Berman so that he could see out his contract and they could kick him out in favour of JJ Abrams.
  • Options
    MysteriousOzMysteriousOz Posts: 6,231
    Forum Member
    Jeepers Creepers 3...always pops up for me its been ages but I still hope it gets made and released one day
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buckaroo Banzai against the World Crime League.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Golden Compass
    Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Are two that come to mind straight away.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Airplane 3
    Twins 2 - the plan was that it turns out they also had a sister which would have been played by Roseanne Barr.
  • Options
    lozblokelozbloke Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    The multiple incarnations of the planned Ghostbusters 3, including a version which sends the Ghostbusters to hell.

Ivan Reitman, Dan Ackroyd and the studio seem to be keeping the plot of the version that looks like its finally going to make the light of day under wraps
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Man of Steel' aka the sequel to Superman Returns. Yep, that was actually going to be the title for the sequel but WB didn't have any faith in the franchise after the disappointing audience reception to SR.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Twins 2 - the plan was that it turns out they also had a sister which would have been played by Roseanne Barr.

I'm sure I read somewhere Twins 2 was still being made..?
  • Options
    anthpiefaceanthpieface Posts: 956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where there rumours of a sequel to District 9?
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Master & Commander 2. I guess the public would rather watch car chases or vampires falling in love.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Airplane 3

Roseanne Barr? Yeesh...sounds like a lucky escape that one never saw the light of day.

Never understood the love for Twins...quite bizarre to be honest.

I chuckled mildly when the film was first announced...Arnie and Danny are...Twins. Heh. And yet a year down the line after the trailers had been doing the rounds for ages, posters everywhere clearly showing the 'hilarious' main concept/joke of the movie...sitting in a cinema people were still laughing uproariously whenever the title characters said 'We're Twins'. Baffling. And the rest of the movie was only mildly amusing at best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remo Williams - The Adventure Begins.

It was hoped this would be a Bond-style franchise (they even got Guy Hamilton to direct). But although it was a decent little movie, it just never caught on.

I don't think Fred Ward was a big enough name to carry a franchise, and it also had a somewhat controversial white-man-playing-Asian issue with Joel Grey as Chuin.

In the end they sold it as a kind of grown-up Karate Kid, which it did resemble especially during the early training scenes. But the public stayed away.

Shame, because it's actually not bad. It has a brilliant, standout action sequence atop the Statue of Liberty. Just recently been released on blu ray as well.
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The end of Flash Gordon heavily points to a sequel (that didn't happen). Godzilla, the bad 90s Hollywood version did too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    The end of Flash Gordon heavily points to a sequel (that didn't happen). Godzilla, the bad 90s Hollywood version did too

I think pretty much every horror/sci fi movies of the 80's and 90's was left open ended for a possible sequel.

Monster movies particularly...there was always a last little shot featuring either an egg hatching or a baby monster etc.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    There have been regular rumours of a Bill and Teds 3.

Sahara was intended to be the first in a series of adaptations of Clive Cusslers Dirk Pitt novels but tanked so badly that idea was scrapped.

The Pitt novels were attempted before with Raise the Titanic but led to Lew Grades famous quote 'it would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic'
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Lord of the Rings (Bashki version).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    There have been regular rumours of a Bill and Teds 3.

Sahara was intended to be the first in a series of adaptations of Clive Cusslers Dirk Pitt novels but tanked so badly that idea was scrapped.

The Pitt novels were attempted before with Raise the Titanic but led to Lew Grades famous quote 'it would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic'

Raise The Titanic is actually a pretty decent movie, despite it's reputation. OK, it's historically inaccurate give what we know now about the fate of the ship, but this was made in 1980.

The scene where the Titanic is raised with John Barry's magnificent score is definitely a highlight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwyrddvDvTw
  • Options
    chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    CamCam wrote: »
    I'm sure I read somewhere Twins 2 was still being made..?

I believe it is to be called 'Triplets' and will also star Eddie Murphy.

I once heard back in the day that they was looking at a 'Total Recall 2', and I too was looking forward to True Lies 2. That would have been a good franchise
  • Options
    Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hairspray 2 (sequel to the 2007 version) was cancelled during pre-production.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lost In Space (1998) was ripe for a sequel. It was a decent film, did fairly well at the BO and was completely open-ended, with the family obtaining new star charts (or whatever they were) and flying off to continue their adventures. Presumably it didn't do well enough for anyone to think it worthwhile making another one.
  • Options
    chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    Godzilla 2. Not the new one (2014) but the other at the end opens up for a sequel, and apparently some of the artistes where signed up for 3 films.