Options

Illegal immigrants refuse to be rescued by Greek coastguard - prefer Italy

Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_wsite1_1_19/12/2014_545576

Ship with 200 migrants off Pylos towed to Italy after passengers refuse to stop in Greece

A ship carrying around 200 undocumented immigrants suffered engine problems off the coast of Pylos, in the Peloponnese, early on Friday, prompting an intervention by the Greek Coast Guard.

According to sources, the migrants refused to board a Greek Coast Guard vessel that was dispatched to the scene and be towed toward the Greek mainland and insisted on continuing their journey to Italy.

A cargo ship in the area responded to the migrants' appeal and began towing the vessel to Sicily, sources said.

Who says you can't choose where you end up? :D

Comments

• Options
    ste1969ste1969 Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    should have just sank it
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    just crazy...:(

they should tow it back to where it set off from...they are just encouraging more and more...
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    To be fair, I'd've held out for Italy too :)
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh because the italians will just give them citizen status and tell them to bugger off somewhere else!

THAT'S WHY
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems to be common knowledge that it is far easier to reach the likes of the UK if you land at Italy
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    oh because the italians will just give them citizen status and tell them to bugger off somewhere else!

THAT'S WHY

Really? Do you have links to support that?
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they like pizza?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ste1969 wrote: »
    should have just sank it
    Sick or what?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    jenzie wrote: »

THAT'S WHY

Next stop, Britain, the land of Milk and Honey and the softest immigration controls in the world where the authorties kowtow to immigrants and asylum seekers who're jusy waved through Immigration at airports and only have to say 'asylum'.
    If it was up to me it'd be NO instant right to benefits, housing health care and education for twenty years.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,590
    Forum Member
    motsy wrote: »
    Next stop, Britain, the land of Milk and Honey and the softest immigration controls in the world where the authorties kowtow to immigrants and asylum seekers who're jusy waved through Immigration at airports and only have to say 'asylum'.
    If it was up to me it'd be NO instant right to benefits, housing health care and education for twenty years.

You do know that Germany takes more immigrants than the UK?
    Your perception and reality are miles apart
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »

The numbers are irrelevant because unlike the UK, Germany isn't the land of Milk and Honey for immigrants and nor does it have soft immigration controls.

motsy was pretty much spot on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The numbers are irrelevant because unlike the UK, Germany isn't the land of Milk and Honey for immigrants and nor does it have soft immigration controls.

motsy was pretty much spot on.

The use of the phrase milk and honey adds nothing to any serious attempt at discussion, just a hysterical sound bite from those who have overdosed on the Daily Mail and UKIP type hype and misinformation
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The use of the phrase milk and honey adds nothing to any serious attempt at discussion, just a hysterical sound bite from those who have overdosed on the Daily Mail and UKIP type hype and misinformation

the use of the term "hysterical" adds nothing to any serious attempt at discussion, just a hysterical sound bite from those who have overdosed.
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    They should have towed it to Libya. :cool:
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm easy, I can't tell Sambuca from Ouzo.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if it is the other way round, Greece told the boat to piss off to Italy
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there any evidence that they are heading for Britain? Or is this just another hysterical immigrants are taking over story
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Easier to get to the UK through Italy and France then it is to come up from Greece through eastern europe that's why. No benefits in eastern Europe but there is for 6 months in Italy.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a report recently that the Italian Coast Guards were ending rescuing immigrant ships.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Most of that is factually incorrect but don't let that stop you if it supports your personal agenda.
  • Options
    jackpotjackpotjackpotjackpot Posts: 235
    Forum Member

I couldn't care less! I see and hear what I need when I visit high streets across the UK. Yes I agree they should have pulled the boat back to where they sailed from.

Alternatively they have two choices: Greece or Sink.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Let them all move to Maidenhead, c/o T. May's mansion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bspace wrote: »
    the use of the term "hysterical" adds nothing to any serious attempt at discussion, just a hysterical sound bite from those who have overdosed.

I did try to introduce an element of debate in #11 but nothing serious came back. Just the usual ill informed nonsense that some people delight in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    There was a report recently that the Italian Coast Guards were ending rescuing immigrant ships.

They have abandoned Mare Nostrum because of lack of International support, The UK withdrew it's support to discourage people from risking their lives.

http://www.civilserviceworld.com/articles/special-report/parliament-round-uk-withdrawal-eu-mediterranean-rescue-operation

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/11131381/Rescue-of-500-migrants-off-the-coast-of-Italy.html

Syrian refugees. I take it the UK has sympathy for the innocent victims of ISIS yet some seem to hope they drown, women and children included. Finish ISIS job for them? Or do you propose rescuers choose who to let drown?
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    They have abandoned Mare Nostrum because of lack of International support, The UK withdrew it's support to discourage people from risking their lives.

http://www.civilserviceworld.com/articles/special-report/parliament-round-uk-withdrawal-eu-mediterranean-rescue-operation

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/11131381/Rescue-of-500-migrants-off-the-coast-of-Italy.html

Syrian refugees. I take it the UK has sympathy for the innocent victims of ISIS yet some seem to hope they drown, women and children included. Finish ISIS job for them? Or do you propose rescuers choose who to let drown?

I agree with you. Regardless of people's feelings about immigration, I find the let them drown mindset beyond callous.