Dr Who Ratings Thread

Comments

• MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    I think the audience share has always been good, though, and I think the BBC will realise that of the available audience, more than a third tune in to Doctor Who.

I do think the people who schedule these things should have had far more press attention than they did over this decision - moving I'd Do Anything to a prime time slot has been a ratings disaster. It didn't gain any extra viewers for that show, but did lose viewers for Who as RTD predicted.
  • The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    I would think if they are going to shift Doctor Who, it would probably be more likely to move to a January-March run, rather than a September-December one. The schedules on BBC and ITV are packed in the autumn with Strictly and X-Factor in such a way that trying to schedule Doctor Who without clashing would be a nightmare.

Much better to move to Saturday nights January-March, which has been now been vacated by Dancing on Ice. Doctor Who would have a free run, in the dark, off the back of a much-hyped Christmas special. This would surely be the best option.

That's a good idea. :)
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The AI for The Unicorn and the Wasp was 86. Another good result, especially for an episode some have dubbed 'marmite'. Clearly not so much with the wider audience....:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    The AI for The Unicorn and the Wasp was 86. Another good result, especially for an episode some have dubbed 'marmite'. Clearly not so much with the wider audience....:)

Hmm... worst of the year, the honeymoon is over. :eek::p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Slug wrote: »
    Hmm... worst of the year, the honeymoon is over. :eek::p

lol...depends if you include the Xmas special, which also got 86. ....:D

Seriously though, the AI's this series have been amazing...86-88 throughout. I do think we might see a 90 before the series is out, which would be amazing...:)
  • Dr TheteDr Thete Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol...depends if you include the Xmas special, which also got 86. ....:D

Seriously though, the AI's this series have been amazing...86-88 throughout. I do think we might see a 90 before the series is out, which would be amazing...:)

Because of the way that the AIs are calculated, from 88 to 90 is actually a bigger jump than going from 86 to 88. It would be nice to see it happen though.

I think I'm right in saying that one BBC Three showing of Doctor Who got an AI of 94 (which is remarkable even with the much smaller audience size).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Thete wrote: »
    Because of the way that the AIs are calculated, from 88 to 90 is actually a bigger jump than going from 86 to 88. It would be nice to see it happen though.

well, we have had some 89's in the past, but given the overall higher AI scores this series thus far, it seems feasible to me it might happen at some point, possibly the finale because of the emotional context that tends to apply to them. :)
  • stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Final figures for "The Doctor's Daughter" are in, and it finished up with 7.33 million.

That puts it in 10th place for the week by individual episode and 4th by series.
    Forum Member
    stcoop wrote: »
    Final figures for "The Doctor's Daughter" are in, and it finished up with 7.33 million.

That puts it in 10th place for the week by individual episode and 4th by series.

Which are the three series above it? Is it three soaps?
  • liquidJPliquidJP Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »

I think he means the 4th highest of the series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »

Two soaps and Britain's Got Talent. DW easily beat every episode of Emmerdale.
    Forum Member
    Two soaps and Britain's Got Talent. DW easily beat every episode of Emmerdale.

So its beating The Apprentice too! That's impressive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    liquidJP wrote: »
    I think he means the 4th highest of the series.

No.

Here's the Top 10 by episode:

CORONATION STREET (MON 2031) 10.73
    CORONATION STREET (MON 1934) 10.07
    CORONATION STREET (FRI 2029) 8.99
    EASTENDERS (MON 1959) 8.92
    CORONATION STREET (FRI 1934) 8.75
    EASTENDERS (THU 1931) 8.62
    CORONATION STREET (WED 1930) 8.57
    BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT (SAT 2000) 8.17
    EASTENDERS (FRI 1959) 8.16
    DOCTOR WHO (SAT 1844) 7.33

And the Top 5 by series:

CORONATION STREET
    EASTENDERS
    BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT
    DOCTOR WHO
    THE APPRENTICE
  • liquidJPliquidJP Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

Here's the Top 10 by episode:

CORONATION STREET (MON 2031) 10.73
    CORONATION STREET (MON 1934) 10.07
    EASTENDERS (MON 1959) 8.92
    CORONATION STREET (FRI 1934) 8.75
    EASTENDERS (THU 1931) 8.62
    CORONATION STREET (WED 1930) 8.57
    BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT (SAT 2000) 8.17
    EASTENDERS (FRI 1959) 8.16
    DOCTOR WHO (SAT 1844) 7.33

And the Top 5 by series:

CORONATION STREET
    EASTENDERS
    BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT
    DOCTOR WHO
    THE APPRENTICE

Then you should make yourself clearer my boy ;)
    tsk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And that compares to 7.19 million for the equivalent episode last year (The Lazarus Experiment). :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Final figures for TU&TW are in: 8.41m.
    7th for the week by episode, and once again 4th for the week by series.

Top 10:
    CORONATION STREET (MON 2030) 9.78
    BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT (SAT 2000) 9.11
    CORONATION STREET (MON 1933) 9.07
    CORONATION STREET (FRI 1934) 9.05
    EASTENDERS (MON 2000) 8.76
    DOCTOR WHO (SAT 1858) 8.41
    EASTENDERS (FRI 1958) 8.06
    INDIANA JONES & THE LAST CRUSADE 7.53
    EASTENDERS (THU 1930) 7.17
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Final figures for TU&TW are in: 8.41m.

Very impressive time shift of around 700,000...:eek::cool:

Up to week 7, this series is up around 300,000 per week on average to last series:

Season 3. 7,515,714
    Season 4. 7,858,571
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    But it hasn't actually, DS.....overall I think you'll find when the final figures for episode six come in that the first six episodes of this series have, overall, had higher figures than the first six episodes of series 3. It was really only the two-parter where the figures were really down, and even then it was only the second part which was hugely down on the norm. The point is more that the average could have been considerably higher than it was had it not had the early slot....

Yes they're higher than usual, but they could have been a lot higher in the 7pm slot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they're higher than usual, but they could have been a lot higher in the 7pm slot.

Possibly it would have done, but given the show has still thus far performed more strongly than this time last year, I don't think we can complain too much...
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,925
    Forum Member
    Possibly it would have done, but given the show has still thus far performed more strongly than this time last year, I don't think we can complain too much...
    Fingers crossed for Saturday...........
    :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Fingers crossed for Saturday...........
    :)

Given The Apprentice managed to perform strongly against BGT when it wasn't even in it's normal slot, I think we have reason to be cautiously optimistic....:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given The Apprentice managed to perform strongly against BGT when it wasn't even in it's normal slot, I think we have reason to be cautiously optimistic....:)

Was it the BGT final?

Was it BGT's normal slot?

Perhaps even more caution is advisable!
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    The BGT final is Saturday up against SITL, as you should know, Mr. Slug!

I'm more impressed that Indy got 7.53 million! Wow!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BGT final is Saturday up against SITL, as you should know, Mr. Slug!

I'm more impressed that Indy got 7.53 million! Wow!

I have no personal interest in BGT, mr_brearley, so I didn't know, although I suspected as much from the rumours on this forum.

Thus I was noting the fact that The Apprentice was not up against the final, so maybe the two situations can't be compared.
  • amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    The alarm bells prematurely ringing around the forum about DW getting its ass kicked by the BGT's final must need cranking up a notch or two then!