• GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here :)

She a set up just now.

1-1, tight third set now. Long games.
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    Sabine looking to win her first title in 3 years, where's her fan club?

Just woken up. :blush: Sabine into the final, managed to see Franny gifting the win on a double fault.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sabine looking to win her first title in 3 years, where's her fan club?

Go Sabine! She's playing Karoline Pliskova in the final, who is as big hitter and server like her. But if Sabine doesn't play like a headcase, she should come through...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mirjana Lucic was 16 years old the last time she played in a WTA final. 16 years later, she'll play in the final in Quebec City.

So cool, really happy for her.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mirjana Lucic was 16 years old the last time she played in a WTA final. 16 years later, she'll play in the final in Quebec City.

So cool, really happy for her.

Against a player 2 years older then herself. Another final for Venus.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rooting for Pliskova.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Rooting for Pliskova.

Lisicki has won the title. :)
  • Off_the_hook13Off_the_hook13 Posts: 17,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm SO happy to see Sabine finally winning another title. :D She fought hard this week and I'm thrilled for her. I really hope this gives her the confidence she has needed and this is the start of good thing to come. CELEBRATE!!! :D:D:D:D
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,275
    Forum Member
    Yes! :D Well done Sabine, especially the turn around of that first set.
  • Off_the_hook13Off_the_hook13 Posts: 17,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lisa.B wrote: »
    Yes! :D Well done Sabine, especially the turn around of that first set.

When she was down in that first set I thought it was just going to be all downhill from there, so pleased I was wrong. :D I'm still buzzing several hours later. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done Mirjana:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Mirjana:)

Her first WTA singles title outside Croatia.
  • popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw the Davis Cup results and Spain have been relegated from the World Group after losing to Brazil in the play offs. No Nadal or Ferrer but should have been good enough to win given the number of players they have in the top 100.

Draw for the 2015 Davis Cup is this week I think so let's hope GB get a home tie. If Scotland say yes on Thursday could be one of the last ever GB ties:o
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Just saw the Davis Cup results and Spain have been relegated from the World Group after losing to Brazil in the play offs. No Nadal or Ferrer but should have been good enough to win given the number of players they have in the top 100.

Draw for the 2015 Davis Cup is this week I think so let's hope GB get a home tie. If Scotland say yes on Thursday could be one of the last ever GB ties:o

The draw is at 4pm on Thursday UK time in Dubai.

GB are not one of the top 8 seeds so will face Serbia, Switzerland, Italy, Argentina, Canada, Czech Republic, France or USA in round one in February. But it's very likely we will get a home tie (5 or maybe 6 out of 8 options would be at home).

Italy or Argentina at home might be good bets for a win. The USA, France, and Switzerland would also be at home as we last played them away with Canada and Serbia away. Not sure about the Czechs as we haven't played them since Czechoslovakia broke up - do they inherit their records or is venue decided by lot? If it's the former its an away tie.

Will Murray play though so soon after the Aussie open?

http://www.daviscup.com/en/news/186923.aspx
  • amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello there!!

I am a HUGE Roger Federer fan and I love tennis so thought I would pop in to this thread!

For me Roger is so graceful on the court and I dread the day he calls his career quits.

I also admire Serena Williams for what a champion she is and her mind is so determined even when sometimes her game hasn't been so great.

I was wondering if anyone saw the Swiss Davis cup tie at the weekend vs Italy and saw when Roger sealed the win and Stan and Seve carried him around the arena? Priceless!!

It should be a great final with Switerland facing France, a great combination of shot makers and beautiful tennis. I love to watch Stan's one handed backhand and Tsonga and Monfils are always fun to watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heather Watson (seeded 8) well beaten by qualifier Nicole Gibbs in the first round in Seoul.

Over in Guangzhou first round defeats for Sam Stosur (seeded 1) and Sloane Stephens (seeded 3). Not sure how they retain their rankings as they seem to get upset every week. 2nd seed Alice Cornet was the only seed not to be beaten in the first round.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Watched the Bencic-Safarova match earlier, Bencic was terrific in the opening set and then faded, fast, not sure what happened but by the end she wasn't a tenth the player she was at the start. Shame as the way she played against Sveta and in the first set, I wouldn't have ruled out her winning the tournament.

Shame about Heather, gone out in doubles too now. I really thought she was making progress but that's three very disappointing matches back to back now. Hopefully she can put together a sting of wins before the year's up. She's currently down for qualifying at Wuhan (2nd alternate for the main draw), which may be for the best, a couple of wins in qualifying would boost her confidence for the main draw (or she could just as easily lose in the first round of qualifying. :()
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny year for the WTA, Safarova and Cornet have become two of the more dependable players.

Nice to see Vaidisova's comeback too. Obviously over-hyped as almost everything is nowadays, but still she was looking good in more ways than one.
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Andy Murray have tweeted his support for the yes campaign. Don't think he will get a good reaction at Wimbledon again. Think he may lose a lot of support over this and he is not that popular in England anyway.
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    Andy Murray have tweeted his support for the yes campaign. Don't think he will get a good reaction at Wimbledon again. Think he may lose a lot of support over this and he is not that popular in England anyway.
    He has spent years building back his reputation after a crass remark and now he opens his mouth again. He should have kept quiet but that is not his style.
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    smude wrote: »
    He has spent years building back his reputation after a crass remark and now he opens his mouth again. He should have kept quiet but that is not his style.

Why should he keep quiet he's entitled to an opinion. Just like a projected 45% or whatever scots he's in favour of yes big deal

It'll be forgotten in a week never mind next July

Youd have to have the maturity of an 8 year old to be upset about Murrays opinion (not directed at you just general comment
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    smude wrote: »

Why he is a proud Scot and entitled to an opinion on this!

It's not crass or insensitive at all - let's leave the politics to the politics forum.
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Why should he keep quiet he's entitled to an opinion. Just like a projected 45% or whatever scots he's in favour of yes big deal

It'll be forgotten in a week never mind next July

Youd have to have the maturity of an 8 year old to be upset about Murrays opinion (not directed at you just general comment
    I am Andy's biggest fan but already there are loads of comments about this and he seems to be getting far more flack than it should merit. Of course he is a proud Scot and I applaud him for that.
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A tweet on twitter on something he can't vote on anyway will not make much difference re: the support down south which is very high anyway regardless of one comment on the Politics thread re: Andy.

It's a misconception by some of his other supporters up here (which some of them appear on the tennis thread around Wimbledon time) that Andy receives virtually no support at all down south. Andy was mobbed by the spectators when he won the olympic men's singles gold and Wimbledon men's singles title.

And many support Andy down south as he's a great tennis player anyway regardless what his nationality is. If people are offended by a tweet from Andy on twitter that's their problem but they will only be among the miniscule few who let it offend them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not something that'll change my opinion of him, but I think staying neutral would have been wiser. After all if NO wins he'll then have to carry on competing for GB, whilst clearly stating he'd prefer to be competing for Scotland. Will make Press comferences interesting. All just a silly distraction from tennis, I'd have thought.
This discussion has been closed.