Internet Without Phone Line

TechnoGeekTechnoGeek Posts: 507
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/09/bt-openreach-moot-naked-fttc-superfast-broadband-without-phone.html
I for one would love to see this happen, i bitterly resent having to pay Bt"s extornate line rental, especially now that i have unlimited minutes to landlines and mobiles through my mobile provider and only occasionlly use landline for freephone numbers

Comments

• PowerStormPowerStorm Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Interesting but doesn't really say that line rental wouldn't be included - surely this is a monthly charge for providing the connection to your property so would therefore still be payable? And, as that article says, not having a phone line will make things difficult to identify.

Personally I prefer the transparancy of line rental. It costs to put in and maintain that line. When Virgin give you cable they have the same costs but wrap it up by adding to the individual product costs. I'd prefer to have a payment for the line and then for each service - that way you know where the costs are going.
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    PowerStorm wrote: »
    Personally I prefer the transparancy of line rental. It costs to put in and maintain that line. When Virgin give you cable they have the same costs but wrap it up by adding to the individual product costs. I'd prefer to have a payment for the line and then for each service - that way you know where the costs are going.
    But "Line Rental" seems to have gone FAR beyond what a line might cost to put in and maintain!!! As it is hard to make any money these days from either calls or broadband all the costs appear to being loaded into the line rental!
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    TechnoGeek wrote: »
    http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/09/bt-openreach-moot-naked-fttc-superfast-broadband-without-phone.html
    I for one would love to see this happen, i bitterly resent having to pay Bt"s extornate line rental, especially now that i have unlimited minutes to landlines and mobiles through my mobile provider and only occasionlly use landline for freephone numbers
    This may NOT get you out of paying Line Rental entirely! While, traditionally, line rental has been paid with the "phone line" I would expect that any "broadband only" line would simply have it added in to its cost!
  • littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wholesale line rental prices have been falling, I think its about £9/month. The retail prices have been increasing presumably so that low headline broadband prices can be advertised. At the end of the day, the price you pay is the sum of the two.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,415
    Forum Member
    littleboo wrote: »
    The retail prices have been increasing presumably so that low headline broadband prices can be advertised.
    It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that many ISPs insist that you take up their own line rental as well so its not like the charge is even avoidable yet its still treated like small print.

Then you have the introductory rates that rocket after 6 months etc...
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    But "Line Rental" seems to have gone FAR beyond what a line might cost to put in and maintain!!! As it is hard to make any money these days from either calls or broadband all the costs appear to being loaded into the line rental!

It's the reverse situation. Calls are, as you say, cheap to process, so the companies used to cross-subsidise the line rental from the extra money they made from "long distance" calls, even though they cost pretty much the same as local calls to carry.

Ofcom won't let them do that now, each part of the system has to pay its own way, so calls get cheaper and line rental gets closer to the actual cost.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be a bit of a nightmare if you wanted to change ISP.
  • bensterbenster Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    Www.6ginternet.com dosent need a phone line check it out
  • Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This probably end up being like Virgin, and will end up cheaper to take a phone line.
  • Richard_Noble1Richard_Noble1 Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    We had this before with a little square dish, they went bust ,so what's new with this?
  • zaaxzaax Posts: 171
    Forum Member

BT wholesale line rental is only about £8 the rest if profit for the teleco. which maybe BT retail
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they are simply hiding costs in the line rental so the broadband seems cheaper, and as others have stated its a line rental not a telephone service rental, how exactly do you think you are gonna get your broadband without a line? it comes down it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    You could always switch to Two Way Satellite
    - if you don't play games
    http://www.europasat.com/product-chooser/

SES Broadband PAYG
    Download 10Mb
    Upload 1Mb

Contract type: Pay as you go
    Data allowance: PAYG per GB
    Hardware cost: £299.99
    Connection fee: £38.50
    Cost per GB: £7.00

Or find out if there's a WIPS (Wireless WiFI ISP) in your aira
  • HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benster wrote: »
    Www.6ginternet.com dosent need a phone line check it out

are you kidding me? the name is a joke for starters

this is the best "You will never suffer from quality of material (copper, Fibre etc.) used as quality of air does not change"
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BKM wrote: »

I'm paying £36 per month to BT for landline (which I don't use) and broadband. And that's excluding any phone calls.

It's a total rip-off, especially since I've been told I will be fined off BT if I switch to another provider.>:(

I'm like that other guy, my mobile gives me all the free calls I want.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    I'm paying £36 per month to BT for landline (which I don't use) and broadband
    Of course you're using it, how do you think the broadband signal gets to your house?
    I've been told I will be fined off BT if I switch to another provider.
    How long have you been with BT? Once you're outside the initial period of the contract that you signed you shouldn't be charged to leave.
    I'm like that other guy, my mobile gives me all the free calls I want.
    And do you pay a fixed monthly charge for the mobile?
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    Of course you're using it, how do you think the broadband signal gets to your house?

How long have you been with BT? Once you're outside the initial period of the contract that you signed you shouldn't be charged to leave.

And do you pay a fixed monthly charge for the mobile?

I'm switching from BT. They're a total rip off. I never use the phone. They can take it out for me. :mad: