Thom Yorke and BitTorrent

2»

Comments

• Options
    rachelgatarachelgata Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    Radiohead still release plenty of great songs, they've just moved on with their music, like most interesting bands do. Something like Staircase from a couple of years ago stands right up there with their best work. :)

I couldn't agree more. While Ok Computer is and will always be my favourite album, I love all their styles over the years and think Staircase (among other recent efforts) is right up there. It's a great track. I think most people who do genuinely love the band can find something in every era to love - I know I do.
    MrSuper wrote: »
    So can anyone actually talk about the music and tell us what the album is like?

What does it sound like? Radiohead stuff or more electronic or something different altogether?

Almost completely electronic. Lots of overlayed, sometimes complex beats, distorted piano/synth lines, simple but very catchy melodic hooks, no real choruses. It's very open and atmospheric and definitely headphone music although a few tracks would sound good in a club at the end of the night, too. It's what you'd expect from Thom Yorke solo, if you've ever heard any other stuff from him, but softer than The Eraser and more emotionally involving than Amok.
    That's the best I can do really.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    Except In Rainbows was the best album they've ever made.

according to you and your one man army

that's probably a radiohead song title or something isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this comment absolutely totally spot on, especially about him operating the Macbook blindfolded whilst mumbling into the mic :D. I have nothing against Thom and Radiohead making electronic music, its just that to me they don't make very good electronic music. And even when they plug the guitars in again you think...oh dear...where's the magic gone? As a wise man once sang:

Ground Control to Major Thom
    Your circuit's dead,
    there's something wrong
    Can you hear me, Major Thom?
    Can you....

that's about it. a lot of fans go into radiohead because of the guitar work on creep, or through the bends. others via ok computer. the stuff afterwards is almost like a different band

thom has spoke of his influences in that respect, people like aphex twin and I'm not into that stuff much, so someone trying to make music to sound like that is someone trying to make music that sounds like stuff I don't like

u2 changed after Joshua tree but they kept making good songs, and that's whats lacking really. I suppose if you really think about it, the old lyrics used to just be a load of weird nonsense, but the melodies where there, the guitar solos were great, etc. not it's a load of bleeps and blips and lacking in melody and it's not leaving much behind of interest to me. in rainbows isn't a patch on even the first album. it took me a while to fully appreciate the first album, the bends was instantly accessible, but Pablo has that one song that sticks out. but some of the pre bends stuff was pretty good too
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You make it sound like that is a fact rather than your opinion.

Well, no, it's widely considered one of their best albums.
    unique wrote: »
    according to you and your one man army

Yes, and all the other people and critics who also consider it one of their best albums.

But isn't it a shame Thom isn't making music for your pleasure /sadface

They probably could have gone on a similar trajectory to U2 but I assume they aren't that lazy and have some artistic integrity.
  • Options
    DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that's about it. a lot of fans go into radiohead because of the guitar work on creep, or through the bends. others via ok computer. the stuff afterwards is almost like a different band

thom has spoke of his influences in that respect, people like aphex twin and I'm not into that stuff much, so someone trying to make music to sound like that is someone trying to make music that sounds like stuff I don't like

u2 changed after Joshua tree but they kept making good songs, and that's whats lacking really. I suppose if you really think about it, the old lyrics used to just be a load of weird nonsense, but the melodies where there, the guitar solos were great, etc. not it's a load of bleeps and blips and lacking in melody and it's not leaving much behind of interest to me. in rainbows isn't a patch on even the first album. it took me a while to fully appreciate the first album, the bends was instantly accessible, but Pablo has that one song that sticks out. but some of the pre bends stuff was pretty good too

Another spot on observation about the decline of Thom Yorke there, the obsession with trying to sound like Aphex Twin. Its the way he suddenly jumped on the band wagon as well, like he'd just discovered Aphex Twin and found copying him the perfect way to repent for his neurotic guilt that OK Computer had actually sold a lot and entertained people.

You just think for gods sake Thom you've been doing this kind of dribble for over a decade now and you've still never come close to matching Aphex Twin for electronic virtuosity and bonkersness in the likes of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MBaEEODzU0

Give it up and go back to the music you were good at making and showed your own virtuosity!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »
    Well, no, it's widely considered one of their best albums.

Yes, and all the other people and critics who also consider it one of their best albums.

there's a big difference between "Except In Rainbows was the best album they've ever made." and critics considering it ONE of the best
    But isn't it a shame Thom isn't making music for your pleasure /sadface

They probably could have gone on a similar trajectory to U2 but I assume they aren't that lazy and have some artistic integrity.

why won't they release some music with artistic integrity then? the last album was 3 years ago, and the previous one 4 years before that. in 21 years there's only 8 studio albums. it doesn't really disprove any statements about laziness, which you brought up

out of the post ok stuff, in rainbows no doubt is what people prefer, but many fans prefer all material up to okc far more than post okc stuff
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why won't they release some music with artistic integrity then? the last album was 3 years ago, and the previous one 4 years before that. in 21 years there's only 8 studio albums. it doesn't really disprove any statements about laziness, which you brought up

out of the post ok stuff, in rainbows no doubt is what people prefer, but many fans prefer all material up to okc far more than post okc stuff

They release plenty of music between albums, as a band or as solo artists, have toured the world more than once and have families they are responsible for nowadays, that's why. ;)
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Thom's new album - okayish electro art-rock sprung from his usual vague/mopey sentiments. Heard better. Heard worse.

But, rather like his band's King of Limbs, he's still fannying about at the foot of the mountain in some ways. The bristling rush of newness, of proving something, that made Kid A something special is now a long time ago.

Outside of the band, Jonny Greenwood is proving the greater talent. His soundtrack work is exceptional.
  • Options
    Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In my book Kid A is their greatest work and The Bends is awfully overrated. In Rainbows was a classic. Best of its year for me. The last one was very disappointing.

The fact their sound has changed so dramatically means it natural that there is going to be arguments about what is their best period. Nobody is right. If you prefer the alt rock sound then you are gonna go Ok Computer and before. If you prefer the electronic side of their music then its Kid A onwards
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in rainbows is my favourite radiohead album followed by kid a ..have to say i found king of limbs pretty but a bit underwhelming.

wasn't that keen on the atoms for peace album but will give this one a go, maybe using torrents would have been innovative back in 2005 but even my mum knows how to use them now :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my book Kid A is their greatest work and The Bends is awfully overrated. In Rainbows was a classic. Best of its year for me. The last one was very disappointing.

The fact their sound has changed so dramatically means it natural that there is going to be arguments about what is their best period. Nobody is right. If you prefer the alt rock sound then you are gonna go Ok Computer and before. If you prefer the electronic side of their music then its Kid A onwards

Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows are a nice mix of both. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointy wrote: »
    They release plenty of music between albums, as a band or as solo artists, have toured the world more than once and have families they are responsible for nowadays, that's why. ;)

that's why they won't release music with artistic integrity?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The above statement doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What?
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    It's unfair to say that Radiohead don't release music with artistic integrity just because their later albums aren't your cup of tea. I will also back up that In Rainbows is a perfect album there is not one track I skip on it.

To dismiss their newer music as just bleeps and messing about on a mac is a bit silly, I will admit some of the songs take more than one listen to get into but then it gets ya hooked.
    I'm confused about people saying those songs lack melody, when the guitar/paino comes into the songs it really makes it something great.
    For example have a listen to tracks like 15 Step, Staircase and All I Need.
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say that the fact they are releasing music that appeals to them but doesn't necessarily pander to the wishes of their fans .. the media .. or anyone else .. shows they DO have artistic integrity. All artists should be true to themselves.