The Amazing Race Season 25

Comments

• starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were obviously meant to be 'baddies' anyway that was their script and they seem to have been successful at it going by internet responses. The usual speak about using their looks etc. The dentist team are obviously the egomaniac and self-declared alpha team, one the bandwagoners will support as they will expect them to go far. There's always obvious stereotypes in the show now.

I hope this 4 hour penalty counts for something rather than just being totally spent at a bunch point.
  • Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    They were obviously meant to be 'baddies' anyway that was their script and they seem to have been successful at it going by internet responses. The usual speak about using their looks etc. The dentist team are obviously the egomaniac and self-declared alpha team, one the bandwagoners will support as they will expect them to go far. There's always obvious stereotypes in the show now.

I hope this 4 hour penalty counts for something rather than just being totally spent at a bunch point.

I don't think the producers can make a team become the 'baddies' just because they want to, what came out of the mouth of the contestants and what they did are entirely their own.

I don't find him likeable, but the dentist actually seems to be quite a helpful guy - he told the others how to read the compass, I'd bet most of the teams would still have been stuck on that beach looking for their treasure chest if he hadn't done so. (Also helps that he had a compass in his watch, smart of him to take a watch that has different functions. I wonder if the show will ban iWatch though?)

I just remembered that Rob must be the first person to come up with the idea of taking a penalty with other teams. He talked others into taking a penalty because he couldn't finish the eating task (in Argentina?), were there any other teams that did this earlier?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    I don't think the producers can make a team become the 'baddies' just because they want to, what came out of the mouth of the contestants and what they did are entirely their own.

I don't find him likeable, but the dentist actually seems to be quite a helpful guy - he told the others how to read the compass, I'd bet most of the teams would still have been stuck on that beach looking for their treasure chest if he hadn't done so. (Also helps that he had a compass in his watch, smart of him to take a watch that has different functions. I wonder if the show will ban iWatch though?)

I just remembered that Rob must be the first person to come up with the idea of taking a penalty with other teams. He talked others into taking a penalty because he couldn't finish the eating task (in Argentina?), were there any other teams that did this earlier?

I don't mean the editing made them into that at all (as it would in Big Brother editing tricks), I mean their role was to stir things up and they were surely aware of that. The video previews of teams tend to be a giveaway.

On the topic of modern technology I wish they didn't have GPS in cars on The Amazing Race, that's a recent development and even facilitated by the producers.

That may have been the first time for a joint team penalty, but I don't remember it being at the end of a leg where teams just agreed to race to the pitstop.
    Forum Member
    That may have been the first time for a joint team penalty, but I don't remember it being at the end of a leg where teams just agreed to race to the pitstop.
    There was no race to the pitstop, which is where Rob is smart/sneaky/manipulative. There were other teams yet to arrive, and knowing that it can take a few hours to finish eating the huge meal, so what Rob did was to convince other teams who were there still struggling to take a penalty. Once he can persuade one other team to take a penalty (he convinced two teams), then he would be certain not be eliminated since he was the first one to take a penalty and the penalty time only started after another team had arrived (the next one to take a penalty needed to wait for yet another team to arrive, the rules were different then).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some sneakiness I like on the race, and battling to get in taxis is hardly new either. I drew the line though when the twins took someone's money and forced them to go begging. It didn't help that the twins were insufferable for me as well, their shouting wasn't funny it just annoyed me. But the real estate agents seemed to ham it up like when they shouted out something like 'so long suckers'.

Was anyone a bit sceptical that they were all within the same few feet of finding the treasure chest? I wonder if that was just to increase the drama and at least one of the teams wasn't actually that close at all.
  • breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was anyone a bit sceptical that they were all within the same few feet of finding the treasure chest? I wonder if that was just to increase the drama and at least one of the teams wasn't actually that close at all.

I'm sure it was done to increase the drama. All three teams were probably not even close, as none of them really figured out the compass or used the spade for measuring.
    Forum Member
    Some sneakiness I like on the race, and battling to get in taxis is hardly new either. I drew the line though when the twins took someone's money and forced them to go begging. It didn't help that the twins were insufferable for me as well, their shouting wasn't funny it just annoyed me. But the real estate agents seemed to ham it up like when they shouted out something like 'so long suckers'.
    The Sri Lankan twins? Up there with some of the most annoying contestants ever (no team however can be more annoying than Kent & Vyxsin, that team really set my teeth on edge).
    I don't think they need to lie about this. Remember that the contestants must have dug around in a hundred spots already, even digging around randomly on at least one of those spots they would have come close to where their chest was buried.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At different times of the task (no idea how long it lasted, was it stated?) they may have all got relatively close, assuming some of them weren't simply useless at it, the exact same distance I doubt. But all at the same time just before they quit? I think it was to create more drama, but it wasn't wholly believable for me.

On sneakiness I think it's easier to accept it if it's against teams you don't have any support invested in and in the early stages of the race that's even more likely. At present I'm not caring that much about the firefighters, maybe they just remind me of the previous ones on the race. Early days though maybe I'll like them.
    Forum Member
    At different times of the task (no idea how long it lasted, was it stated?) they may have all got relatively close, assuming some of them weren't simply useless at it, the exact same distance I doubt. But all at the same time just before they quit? I think it was to create more drama, but it wasn't wholly believable for me.
    No, there weren't exactly the same distance away, the girls were much closer than the other two teams (appeared to be only a foot or two away, while the couple looked to be ~5 feet, the firemen may be a bit more). Also that it is unlikely to be the same time, this is probably the trick with editing which you see very often in Amazing Race. For example, often when they show a race to the pitstop between the last two teams, they edited it so that it looks like a close race, but it probably wasn't.

The were there for close to 4 hours according to the one time stamp shown, so by the time they leave it might have been more than 4 hours. It is likely that they would have got roughly the same direction and roughly the same distance, but just not accurate enough. What I would have done is to get the good estimate of the right spot, then dig outwards in the spiral, more chances of hitting the right spot because you give yourself a margin of error. (Mind you, I don't think I would have any problem with the challenge, played similar, but even more complicated, games when I was a boy scout years ago.)
    Forum Member
    Well, that was fun.

Note to the mother-daughter team, if you gotta go, do it underwater (just stand in the river with the water waist-high) so no one can see. That must be one of the most embarrassing things seen on TAR.

Next week, Vikings, sheep and pony, so someone who said Shetland is probably right.
  • Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    Season is shaping out to be a good one so far. I like the teams so far. At least I want to watch the next episode unlike that horrendous mess that was Amazing Race 24... thankfully I stopped watching it after episode 3 so not scared for life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The challenges turned out ok, somehow teams managed to make a mess of something like a pancake race, the firemen seem a bit useless. The locations seemed not that bad either as they had some variety.

I don't really like the teams that much though, maybe the dentists are ok. The pink team's crying just annoyed me. Also the navigation between challenges seemed invisible which takes away a major element of the show for me. I like it if the express pass is more than just turn up somewhere and get it and maybe the clue for the location of the final pitstop could have been better hidden than contestants basically just being to told to look in the hat.
    Forum Member
    A few observations -

1) They showed a aerial shot of a railway station and with a caption that says it is Paddington, but it looks awfully like Waterloo Station.

2) They island Phil called the Magdalen College island is actually the playing field of the Magdalen College School. The racers were punting Cambridge style, not Oxford, probably to confuse the racers if they copy how non-racers punt on the river.

3) The eliminated team who said they studied how to race in TAR didn't realize that if they get stuck in a task, they should calm down and think for a minute or two how to solve the problem. They didn't need to be stuck that long on the river.

4) The firemen (or rather just one of them who have problem flipping a pancake) do seem a bit useless. The food scientists look to be rather nice people giving a pair of shoes to the surfer. They also seem to be rather smart team.

5) If the title sequence is any hint of the places they go this season, most of the destinations looks to be places where a fair number of the locals can speak English well (I spotted Denmark, Malta and Singapore). Should make it easier for the racers.

6) Although they wanted the racers to take the taxi to Tower Bridge, would it be faster to take the the train or Underground? My experience seemed to different every time, sometimes it's quicker by taxi, sometimes slower. Heathrow Express seems very fast but I've never been on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    I was certainly thinking it would be quicker on the tube from Tower Bridge to Westminster than in a taxi but seeing as we dont get the full clue in terms of what transport they are told to take I'm guessing seeing as they all used a taxi that was part of the clue.

I think Abbey Road was the last time they used the tube.

Mom and Daughter were annoying and I'd rather they had gone. Surfers and Dentists are either going to be teams 1 and 2 all season or will make an arse of it in the penultimate leg and thus allow someone like the wrestlers into the final.
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was the first time I think I hoped for a non-elimination leg.

I don't hate any team yet this season, I can't for the life of me see why they picked to dullards from Survivor, like they weren't interesting on Survivor why would CBS think they'd be interesting on this.

Shame its been moved to Friday nights, I feel its days could be numbered as a show. One or two more seasons max.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The producers have lost the plot anyway, despite other countries showing how it can still be done in recent years.

The twists have been head scratching like the 2 million twist and now this save pass. And the editing at times in the last few years has been so rushed as if to cover up the cheaper budget.

Showing Phil with some racers running past him to a challenge isn't the great innovation the producers think either, it just makes more obvious the shortness of the leg that he can do that.
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I hate that edition, it looks weird more than anything.

Also the last few seasons have seemed heavily reliant on locales used before, in the early days the show would visit new places regularly, particularly in Africa and South America. Even in Europe a ton of countries have only been visited once, surely the logistics in Europe can't be as tough as other places and the likes of Ireland, Iceland, Hungary, Greece, Romania, Finland, Croatia and Denmark wouldn't be difficult places to visit for a second time.

China and India seem obligatory stops, only seasons 3, 9, 15, 19, 22, 23 have bypassed those 2.

UK seems to have a recent burst of popularity also with production. Which is good for the UK viewers.
    Forum Member

Also the last few seasons have seemed heavily reliant on locales used before, in the early days the show would visit new places regularly, particularly in Africa and South America. Even in Europe a ton of countries have only been visited once, surely the logistics in Europe can't be as tough as other places and the likes of Ireland, Iceland, Hungary, Greece, Romania, Finland, Croatia and Denmark wouldn't be difficult places to visit for a second time.
    It does seem like they are repeating some places more often (Britain was visited last season), I wonder if it is a cost thing. But, as I said before, they would likely go to Denmark this season if the title sequence is any guide. Malta would be a new country if they do go there (the Blue Grotto was shown in the title sequence). Apart from many countries in the Balkans and former Soviet states, most European countries have been visited. Cyprus and Latvia are amongst those they haven't been to yet but should be OK for visiting.

I guess in many countries security and safety are things that concern the showmakers so are unlikely to be used as locations, but I would be interested to see Burma (temples and ruins of Pagan), Nepal, Uzbekistan (Samarkand's architecture looks outstanding), or even Papua New Guinea being featured in the future. However I don't know transport would be an issue in those country.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the locations are the biggest issue with the show, it's more the design of legs and editing. They could visit places for the first time but if the other issues aren't addressed I don't think it would matter. As it is the format itself is by its nature pretty watchable, it's just the frustration of it obviously falling short of the potential there still is (as shown by non-American versions in recent years).
    Forum Member
    I don't think the locations are the biggest issue with the show, it's more the design of legs and editing. They could visit places for the first time but if the other issues aren't addressed I don't think it would matter. As it is the format itself is by its nature pretty watchable, it's just the frustration of it obviously falling short of the potential there still is (as shown by non-American versions in recent years).

Personally I see nothing seriously wrong with the design of the leg apart from one issue - sometimes the teams go into one task and come out in exactly the same order, there is simply nothing challenging in what they have to do.

I don't think the non-Americans versions are significantly better, some are much worse (the French one is unwatchable). The Canadian one really isn't better - season 1 is rather boring stuck in one country, so season 2 is an improvement. The Australian one is very good in parts, a lot of it has to do with the choice of contestants I think. However it seems that the producers haven't been very careful about the welfare of the racers - I was really concerned when one of them suffered temporary blindness from severe dehydration, and it is very uncomfortable viewing to see something that could do serious harm to the contestant. Something really odd also happened in season 1 of Australian TAR - in Israel one team was eliminated without reaching the pitstop and no proper explanation was given as to why they didn't get there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well a team has been eliminated without getting to the pitstop in the US version as well, a few times.

I enjoyed the French version (only one season I think) actually, good cast and I liked longer program times, it means it doesn't have to be as rushed as the American one often seems now. It's done for those with a short attention span rather than for better drama. The second Canadian season was much better than recent American efforts. And the Australian one with a slightly longer running time just fits more in and lets us get to know the racers more too. It's also certainly interesting when you get away from the usual egomaniac/ TV wannabe middle of the road suburban stereotypes you get in the US version. The US version used to be less 'safe' and more interesting and real, now even the new twists seem uninspired.
    Forum Member
    Well a team has been eliminated without getting to the pitstop in the US version as well, a few times.
    It isn't about not getting to the pitstop, it's about the show not bothering to explain why they didn't get to the pitstop. I later read that there had been a fatal accident on the road they were travelling, but the strange way the whole thing was edited led me to suspect that there were something more they didn't tell, or perhaps didn't want to tell.
    I enjoyed the French version (only one season I think) actually, good cast and I liked longer program times, it means it doesn't have to be as rushed as the American one often seems now.
    Well, we'll have to disagree on that. I watched one episode and the narrator was so long-winded that nothing happened for ten minutes (it was more like a documentary about the place). Waited for another ten minutes and still practically nothing happened, at which point I stopped watching.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if someone can't get to the pitstop on the day expected the crew normally have to wrap it up and move on, that's why it could be about getting to the pitstop, whether there was an accident that held someone up or whether they just got lost or whatever.

Anyway I think on longer shows we see more, the latest episode of this one hardly showed any of the transportation at all, so who knows what happened.
    Forum Member
    Well if someone can't get to the pitstop on the day expected the crew normally have to wrap it up and move on, that's why it could be about getting to the pitstop, whether there was an accident that held someone up or whether they just got lost or whatever.
    It's nothing to do with that. In a show like this, the crew would be expected to work in unusual hours, and there were plenty of times when we see the racers filmed very late at night and in the early hours of the morning. I'm not sure which TAR it was, but I remember one team got lost in Taiwan and had to sleep in their car, and the crew were there with them when they decided to sleep and when they woke up the next day.

The point is that in this episode they didn't explain anything, the team were shown just driving to the pitstop, the next time we see them that the host told the team in their car that they have been eliminated. I have never seen anything so bizarre and unexplained in all the TAR shows.
  • Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    Another good episode, thankfully the firefighters went, hopefully the dentists are next to go as I cant stand their arrogance.