Options

Compulsory plastic bag charge from tomorrow...?

Comments

• Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    I live in England and we don,t have bags blowing around the streets. How can this be?

I live in London and we do.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    I live in London and we do.

You need a bag charge or an anti litter campaign in a number of languages.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usually here it's empty or half empty takeaway boxes, paper or vomit on the ground if it's the aftermath of a Friday or Saturday night.

Carriers blowing around is a rarety.
  • Options
    linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    If it's supposedly for the environment why are they charging for paper bags too? :confused:

In California they have been charging for bags for a long time, even paper ones. I bought some clothes in Maceys, San Francisco and I had to pay for a bag to put them in. I'd never heard of it until then but was told it was to 'help the environment'. My question is, if thats the case, why do they insist on printing their name all over the bag? Im actually paying to advertise for them. >:(
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,574
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Hazydays is one of those that doesn't think about the people like us who have to take them on a bus or two to get home.

It's surely not a problem to either take a bag with you or to buy one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hazydayz wrote: »
    Why do you all need bags? Can't you just put your items in a trolley, push the trolley to your car and then put them in the car? Can't you just carry your shopping?

Not everyone has a car but if you do, it's a good idea to keep a box in the car and put your shopping in that at the checkout. Much easier than struggling with bags!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    It's surely not a problem to either take a bag with you or to buy one?

I'm not going through this again.
  • Options
    frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Yes , but as I said in a previous post since the introduction of that levy whilst usage of suprmarket bags has gone down the sales of pedal bin liners has gone up by 77% and other bin bags by 75%, so all that has happened is people are going back to buying far less eco friendly bags to use at home for rubbish, so actually making a bigger problem.
    Using percentages makes that a pointless comparison, I doubt the number of bin liners is anywhere close to the number of carrier bags there used to be
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are people so obsessed with wanting tax things as a solution to everything can people not come up with a better way of doing things than go "TAX IT", "fatty foods tax em, sugar tax it, salt tax it, petrol tax it".

Has no one any brains to think of anything else.

Tax on petrol doesn't stop people driving, tax on cigarettes doesn't stop people smoking and taxing people on bags will not stop people buying one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why are people so obsessed with wanting tax things as a solution to everything can people not come up with a better way of doing things than go "TAX IT", "fatty foods tax em, sugar tax it, salt tax it, petrol tax it".

Has no one any brains to think of anything else.

Tax on petrol doesn't stop people driving, tax on cigarettes doesn't stop people smoking and taxing people on bags will not stop people buying one.

Well, I reuse bags now rather than buy new ones each time. I can't be the only one. Tax on other items is a useful revenue source of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not going through this again.

That's a shame. I've only just noticed this thread so haven't read all of it.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I reuse bags now rather than buy new ones each time. I can't be the only one. Tax on other items is a useful revenue source of course.

I always cycle and use a rucksack when I go shopping. I'm against the bag charge. I am in favour of some degree of localism so it's good it addresses a problem in your area.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a shame. I've only just noticed this thread so haven't read all of it.

What I will say is it won't stay at 5p whenever something is taxed it is used as an excuse in budgets to pay for something else like road tax barely ever goes back to the roads, petrol tax pays for government schemes and no doubt the 5p will soon increase to pay for something else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What I will say is it won't stay at 5p whenever something is taxed it is used as an excuse in budgets to pay for something else like road tax barely ever goes back to the roads, petrol tax pays for government schemes and no doubt the 5p will soon increase to pay for something else.

At least this one is a tax which is easy to avoid!
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    I live in England and we don,t have bags blowing around the streets. How can this be?

I'm just commenting on what I have seen before and after the charge was introduced.

Whether it is right or wrong to have such a charge, from what I have seen so far it seems to have succeeded in it's environmental aims.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least this one is a tax which is easy to avoid!

Yes, it is. Buy some bags for life, keep them in your car and house, take them with you to the shops, no more tax.

Although, I think tax may be the wrong word (at least in Wales) as it is not collected by government. In NI, it is paid to Department of the Environment.
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    We have 5p plastic bags in NI and have had for over a year. I'm pretty certain the money goes to the government in this case though. The last lot of statistics I saw suggested that it was actually very effective in cutting down use of these bags, so that's a good thing. Besides, you get used to it pretty quickly. I was in York last year and tried to give the man in Sainsbury's a 5p for my bag. He looked at me like I was the biggest idiot in the world - I kinda was.

Not just plastic bags. It is ridiculous that it applies to paper bags as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, it is. Buy some bags for life, keep them in your car and house, take them with you to the shops, no more tax.

Although, I think tax may be the wrong word (at least in Wales) as it is not collected by government. In NI, it is paid to Department of the Environment.

Don't have a tv - no more tax
    Don't own a car - no more tax
    Don't buy clothes - no more tax
    Don't eat certain foods - no more tax
    Don't smoke - no more tax
    Don't Drink - no more tax
    Don't use heating or electricity - no more tax (VAT)

do you see a pattern here?
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh Steve you have gone back into miserable whiney mode again, you were starting to get funny last night!
  • Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Another tax on the disabled who can't drive and have short term memory problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Steve you have gone back into miserable whiney mode again, you were starting to get funny last night!

Just proving a point Mr Muscle;-)

Can you disprove what I have said?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Not really. You can still do all your shopping without paying a bag tax or having to give anything up, so there's no comparison whatsoever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really. You can still do all your shopping without paying a bag tax or having to give anything up, so there's no comparison whatsoever.

Huh? VAT? on food and clothes?

So you go about your everyday business and don't pay any tax see how you get on oops you already paying VAT on your internet connection probably.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member

Yeah, the pattern is that being part of UK society costs everyone money - but there is some flexibility. If you want to have a government; armed forces; roads; a health service; education etc etc then you have to pay for it... but you can reduce that cost by not doing or reducing certain things. I think it is good for people to have those choices myself.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just commenting on what I have seen before and after the charge was introduced.

Whether it is right or wrong to have such a charge, from what I have seen so far it seems to have succeeded in it's environmental aims.

Indeed, and paying for carrier bags isn't a new concept. No one has to buy them and people can use shopping bags, same as back when I was a kid.