what happened to norah jones?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,106
Forum Member
✭✭✭
she wasnt too much of a hitmaker with her songs but i remember her songs were getting played alot on the adult contemporary stations. she can be seen as an adult contemporary artist. but her debut was a smash but then her other albums sold well but not as good as her debut. she just seemed to have quietly faded. not a fan of hers but how did she manage to sell that much. what happened to her?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sort of easy listening female solo singer-songwriter-type music has had its day really. You never really hear Norah Jones, Katie Meluah, Dido, Corrine Bailey Rae etc. anymore. I do like that genre at times, but one album's enough from each artist for me.
  • BP4Lthe2ndBP4Lthe2nd Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    It's not been that long since her fourth album was released* - it's only been 2 years. Album 5 is surpossed to be this year.

Just looking at her sales according to wiki and they are ... Just wow.

Album 1 - 23m, Album 2 - 12m, Album 3 - 9m and Album 4 - 3m.

She really was a juggernaut. And I can't even name a single song.

*(which while The Floor had a shocking decline in sales in the UK peaking at #24 :eek:, still went to #3 and Platinum in the US).
  • Timothy BryceTimothy Bryce Posts: 1,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I was saying on the Madonna thread she was the Adele of 2003.

Come Away with Me sold 22 million copies.
  • StephenmarraStephenmarra Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sorry, but she is a Jazz singer songwrigher with roots in Blues, Folk and Americana. Sighed to "Blue Note Records".
    (A Jazz recording label)
    Any success she has had is amazing(for a Jazz singer) and has nothing at all in common with Adele.:confused:
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norah's very talented, the public don't have the patience for an artist like her, her first album was hyped so it was a big hit, she has faded as did the hype! Most of the music buying public (kids) don't stay with an artist once hype has gone. ;) Also a new generation of buyers is here now and she hasn't been introduced to them as she was with her debut, most kids probably do not know she even exists! lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BP4Lthe2nd wrote: »
    It's not been that long since her fourth album was released* - it's only been 2 years. Album 5 is surpossed to be this year.

Just looking at her sales according to wiki and they are ... Just wow.

Album 1 - 23m, Album 2 - 12m, Album 3 - 9m and Album 4 - 3m.

She really was a juggernaut. And I can't even name a single song.

*(which while The Floor had a shocking decline in sales in the UK peaking at #24 :eek:, still went to #3 and Platinum in the US).

I thought she'd only had two albums! And bloody hell she's sold a lot of records - I didn't realise how successful she was. She's not my cup of tea but I think it's safe to say that if she can release albums I've never heard of and still sell millions of copies then she'll be around for quite some time. I don't think she'll ever be as successful as she was, but she seems to have a sizeable core fanbase.
  • SanahSanah Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    OMG Almost 50 MILLION albums sold. I never would have thought.
  • rickster1995rickster1995 Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member

and rightly so that song makes me feel so calm! :)
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,377
    Forum Member
    Sent everyone to sleep
  • Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tischlampe wrote: »
    That sort of easy listening female solo singer-songwriter-type music has had its day really. You never really hear Norah Jones, Katie Meluah, Dido, Corrine Bailey Rae etc. anymore. I do like that genre at times, but one album's enough from each artist for me.

I really love Corrine Bailey Rae. Wish she'd remained more high profile. I want another album! I saw her live in 2010 and she was amazing. My mum, who wasn't familiar with her until I dragged her along to the concert also really enjoyed it.

I can see why Katie and Dido aren't so hot any more, though. I like them both in small doses but they aren't the kind of artists I could listen to over and over for years.
  • wjd1989wjd1989 Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Those sales published on Wikipedia are far too high.

Come Away With Me

USA: 10,700,000
    Canada: 1,000,000

Europe: 7,900,000

Australasia: 860,000

Other: 1,500,000+

= 22,000,000+

Feels Like Home

USA: 4,500,000
    Canada: 500,000

Europe: 4,150,000

Australasia: 350,000

Other: 1,000,000

= 10,500,000+

Not Too Late:

USA: 2,500,000
    Canada: 250,000

Europe: 1,200,000

Australasia: 100,000

Other: 300,000

= 4,350,000

http://www.vanityedge.com/forum/showthread.php?1152-Norah-Jones-Worldwide-Charts-amp-Sales

I did that in 2009. The fall sold around 2m copies worldwide.

She's sold in total, less than 40m albums. Not as much of a megastar as you think - but still pretty huge. The decline in album sales is pretty remarkable.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is a great talent but never found any of her music actually rather good but she did bring back Jazz elements in her music which hadn't been done in a long time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She has the charisma of a boiled herring. I liked some of her first songs, they had a little bit of a catchy phrase or two, but seeing her live at Glastonbury in 2010... she was just... the entire crowd had a power nap during her set.
  • fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laura P wrote: »
    I really love Corrine Bailey Rae. Wish she'd remained more high profile. I want another album! I saw her live in 2010 and she was amazing. My mum, who wasn't familiar with her until I dragged her along to the concert also really enjoyed it.

I can see why Katie and Dido aren't so hot any more, though. I like them both in small doses but they aren't the kind of artists I could listen to over and over for years.

Wasn't CBR up for the Mercuiry Prize in 2010? That's not that long ago to have not had anything out since
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    i went to see Norah over the jubilee weekend. she completely sold out the royal festival hall in London for two nights. she is a great singer / musician, and her career is strong
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norah Jones? Ah, was once referenced in an Eminem track.

"What the f*ck is going on? Who the f*ck is Norah Jones?
    Shady, wait a minute baby, leave the wh*re alone,
    Just go up there and be humble and take the awards home."

A flavour of the month really.