Sunday Brunch - Channel 4 - Tim Lovejoy

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What is it with this guy. He makes me reel inside. His presenting style is so awkward and so self aware. I watched it this morning and I lost count of the times I spotted him looking at the monitors of himself. Then whilst talking to Dawn Porter he did the most contrived thing and position his arm to the camera so we could all see his very big expensive watch (a stupid Brietling or something similar). He is certainly very aware of himself on screen and I am baffled as to why he is hired for such prime positioned slots.
He was equally as awkward to the camera when he co-presented Fith Gear.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are absolutely spot on, the man is an absolute knob, and why I try to avoid watching Sunday Brunch. A lot of people seem to share our opinion too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I despise him. Why is he so popular ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexis07 wrote: »
    I despise him. Why is he so popular ?

Who say's he is popular? He is nearly always teamed up with someone else on his shows. Or there are narsacissic people out there who like self aware, awkward, contrived, posey and vain TV presenters.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    do you know what? everything he presents has been pretty decent, soccer am went down when he left something for the weekend was brilliant and now sunday brunch is top sunday morning viewing, only downside is he is a chelsea fan, lol. i dont see the problem with him really. he seems like a good blokey bloke likely to be able to have a good laugh with and dotes on his children. all in all he is a nice bloke
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    It's his production company that make the programme, sadly.

You are joking. I want him off the TV, please!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    I would avoid this because the show gets on my nerves?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i disagree
  • BluesTrainRadioBluesTrainRadio Posts: 990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I played football against him and SoccerAM in 2000, at that point, still up and coming, he was down to earth and friendly. Around 4 years later, I went to see SoccerAM going out live and he had definitely changed; I asked him about the game we'd played, he pretended he had no knowledge of it and didn't seem at all interest in even speaking to people who had gone to watch. I can only assume that the glory days of that show had gone to his head by then.
    I'm sure he has a decent side - he has a wife and kids - it could just be the way he is - but I do agree that he still comes over as loving himself too much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I played football against him and SoccerAM in 2000, at that point, still up and coming, he was down to earth and friendly. Around 4 years later, I went to see SoccerAM going out live and he had definitely changed; I asked him about the game we'd played, he pretended he had no knowledge of it and didn't seem at all interest in even speaking to people who had gone to watch. I can only assume that the glory days of that show had gone to his head by then.
    I'm sure he has a decent side - he has a wife and kids - it could just be the way he is - but I do agree that he still comes over as loving himself too much.

The contrived way he showed off his expensive watch today was cringeworthy - he then appeared to look at the monitor to see himself. He always appears to not be listening to the guests but rather thinking of what to say next.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The contrived way he showed off his expensive watch today was cringeworthy - he then appeared to look at the monitor to see himself. He always appears to not be listening to the guests but rather thinking of what to say next.

Yep ,,,worst quality in a presenter is not to listen to the guests, and he does it all the time. It makes me feel like there is no connection between guest and presenter. I feel really awkward watching him.

I also hate the cheers thing they do when they have a drink with the woman who discusses the wines. Its really really sickly and creepy
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I caught the start and couldn't take anymore. He was infuriating trying to cut that piece of shit cake and to make things worse Dawn puffy-chops Porter was on too!!!!!
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.wsc.co.uk/the-archive/42-Media/145-no-love-no-joy

Always worth posting this old classic on the chance somebody hasn't seen it.
    The perfect deconstruction of Lovejoy by Taylor Parkes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh god this is a friendly thread aint it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIEeI_U916k

Interesting clip of him flashing his stupid Brietling watch off - Look at the body language and listen to what he is saying - the guy is insecure.
    What do they say about a man and the size of his watch?
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,936
    Forum Member

I agree that he doesn't seem to listen to the guests, it seems like he's not interested in what they have to say. He drones on in his monotonous voice, um-ing and ah-ing. And that braying laugh...arrrgghh!

I haven't seen many of the SB shows, but I sometimes used to watch SFTW and found him frustrating to watch. His delivery isn't smooth and he seems nervy. He doesn't put viewers at ease, he's a terrible presenter and interviewer and doesn't even feign interest at times. He used to be the first one to the food on the cookery section, rather than let the guests go first, then he'd do the links with a mouth full of food. He often used to talk over the gadget girl or didn't listen to what she said and he's been a bit rude to the wine girl. He thinks he's a ladies man, especially with the younger female guests, but the best moment was when one of The Saturdays humiliated him. He thought he was in with a chance and to see his overblown ego deflate was a classic. He's an obnoxious tosser and he loves himself. He makes me sick.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,936
    Forum Member
    oh god this is a friendly thread aint it

You can always start a Dim Lovejoy appreciation thread ;) You'd be very lonely.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIEeI_U916k

Interesting clip of him flashing his stupid Brietling watch off - Look at the body language and listen to what he is saying - the guy is insecure.
    What do they say about a man and the size of his watch?

How do you know it's a Brietling watch? Are they instantly recognisable? Are they particularly special?
  • strictmachinestrictmachine Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »

That review is flawless, thank you!

I like watching cookery shows but I can't stand Lovejoy so I have given up on Sunday Brunch. A shame because I didn't mind Simon Rimmer on Good Food Live.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,671
    Forum Member
    He's almost as smug as Schofield on ITV. That takes some doing.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »

Ha! That is great! The comments are brilliant too.

He really is an utter t***. So arrogant and so incredibly thick.
  • LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a thought, if you don't like a presenter, don't watch the programme.
    He's absolutely fine at what he does.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    boksbox wrote: »
    How do you know it's a Brietling watch? Are they instantly recognisable? Are they particularly special?

They are easily recognisable, yes. I don't know about 'special' but they are very, very expensive - £15k plus, some of them. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »

Well it's either a Tag Heuer Carrera or a Breitling something or other - can't quite make out - but a plonk like this ain't going to be wearing no Argos watch is he by the way he wants the whole world to see it.
  • Mumsy24Mumsy24 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Lord knows how he has managed to hold down a presenting job. The only person he is remotely interested in is himself

What a shame that he isn't half aware of the guests as he is of his own persona, and how odd that his self awareness goes right out of the window when he elbows guests out of the way in order to shovel large quantities of food into his mouth -knowing that he has to do a piece to camera.
    I like cooking shows and I have always liked Simon Rimmer but I find he is fast becoming TL's enabler and Sunday Brunch is fast becoming The Tim Lovejoy show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am 99 percent sure it is this watch http://www.precisiontime.co.uk/images/tag_heuer/carrera_CV2010-4.BA0794.JPG
    Tag Heuer CAR2110.BA0720 Carrera Calibre 1887 Chronograph Automatic Gents Watch - worth about 3k. If you pause the video at the right moment you will see it's distinctive features.