The Newsroom - Season Two - (UK Pace)

Comments

• bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel G wrote: »
    I feel the same - last series Don wasn't likeable at all, yet now he's not only engaging (his scenes with Sloan are fab), he's also the go-to guy for a slapstick scene (the collapsing chair). Complete change, yet instead of it jarring, I've gone along for the ride quite happily.

Agree :) Couldn't stand him at first, but I started to change my mind in season 1, when he refused to let them say that Gabrielle Giffords. He's one of my favourites now :)
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Timeline issues aside, I really enjoying this. Maggie is as infuriating as ever but with reason now. Love Sloan she rocks. Don has become a much easier character to like (his friendship with Sloan looks strong) maybe his not being around Maggie helps. No love for Mac she's too meh for me. Love this show. Not West Wing yet but getting better.
  • topgooner100topgooner100 Posts: 2,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Newsroom Newbie just watched both Seasons and love this show although the TL get a bit confusing The cast are great Will is brilliant as are Mac Charlie Neal Don eventually even though did not like him at all at first but Sloane is a total legend Love her character :)

Agree about Maggie she's well annoying but I do feel sorry for her after what happened in Africa It's fast become one of my favourite shows :)
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bookaddict wrote: »
    Agree :) Couldn't stand him at first, but I started to change my mind in season 1, when he refused to let them say that Gabrielle Giffords. He's one of my favourites now :)

":A doctor pronounces her dead, not the news":D
  • slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    ":A doctor pronounces her dead, not the news":D
    The whole of the final act of that episode was a real stand-out of the first season - that Don line being the absolute pinnacle. I agree - that was the moment he started to grow on me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a Newsroom Newbie just watched both Seasons and love this show although the TL get a bit confusing
    The easiest way to look at it is that everything happens in the same timeline except for scenes involving the lawyer Rebecca Halliday. So we started the season in August 2011, we're currently at March 2012 (having just jumped 5.5 months in one go) and we're heading towards Oct/Nov 2012, which is where the "future" timeline resides.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole of the final act of that episode was a real stand-out of the first season - that Don line being the absolute pinnacle. I agree - that was the moment he started to grow on me.

yeh the whole time coldplay-fix you was playing in that episode is the highlight of the whole series for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And now the Genoa story kicks into high gear ...

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Does Jerry really believe he could get away with such a botch-job on his edit? Apparently so. Idiot. But even though Stomtonovich is easy enough to discredit, how are they going to show that Shep and Gunnery Sergeant Sweeney and all the others provided misleading testimony? Hmm.

Anyhow, I rather liked this episode. Not too much clutter - other than the ridiculous coincidence of perenially penniless Maggie being a regular at the bar of an expensive hotel where Jim just happens to be staying. And Sloan just being awesome (as usual).

My episode review is here, if anyone's interested:
    http://slouchingtowardstv.com/2013/10/07/the-newsroom-s2-ep6-one-step-too-many/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did nobody in that room spot the obvious edit? The basketball gave it away, surely?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alves wrote: »
    How did nobody in that room spot the obvious edit? The basketball gave it away, surely?
    Yep, you can see the jump clearly in the footage of the basketball game on TV. To be fair, though, they had no real reason to suspect Jerry of doing anything so incredibly unprofessional as that, especially because Mac had asked him to show them the raw, unedited footage - which he didn't. As viewers, we're looking for it because we know it's there.

As viewers, we're watching programmes which are edited together from multiple takes shot from various angles. Sometimes a clock on a wall will show different times, or maybe someone is holding a half-full beer in one hand in one shot and then a full one in the next. How many of those continuity slips do we miss? Most of them, I'd wager, because we're focussing on the main dialogue and action rather than the background. I guess we could say Mac and the team were doing the same thing.

Plus, of course, if they had spotted it, then we would never have had the broadcast, and Jerry's subsequent firing, and the wrongful termination suit, and basically the entire space-time continuum would have collapsed in on itself. Or something. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    great episode, now we have it confirmed that operation genoa didnt happen.

i think we all knew that deep down but i still wanna know why and how.

poor jerry, hes a likeable guy,shame he will be gone soon

will needs to get with mac and lose his insecurities! dammit i want everyone in the newsroom back on the same page again like s1!

lets hope there is a season 3! pray

edit - http://screenrant.com/newsroom-season-3-hbo/

yay!
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The story is emerging from the mist of a scattered timeline. As I had never heard of any story of US troops using sarin gas it was likely that Genoa was a false story.
    The big part of the story yet to unfold is the confrontation between Jerry and Maggie. How does Maggie know it's not true? She wasn't in the room to hear what the General said. Perhaps she has a copy of the raw footage? Unlikely otherwise there would be no reason for Jerry to question Maggie's character. More likely she saw the raw footage and then it's her word verus Jerry's. Why did this all cause Maggie to cut her hair? Perhaps she's gone to AA and part of this fresh start was a new look?

Also where did all these other leads come from? Was there an Operation Genoa that used normal tear gas which some people took to be sarin? There did seem to be a lot of evidence (circumstantial though) pointing towards the story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    The story is emerging from the mist of a scattered timeline. As I had never heard of any story of US troops using sarin gas it was likely that Genoa was a false story.
    The big part of the story yet to unfold is the confrontation between Jerry and Maggie. How does Maggie know it's not true? She wasn't in the room to hear what the General said. Perhaps she has a copy of the raw footage? Unlikely otherwise there would be no reason for Jerry to question Maggie's character. More likely she saw the raw footage and then it's her word verus Jerry's. Why did this all cause Maggie to cut her hair? Perhaps she's gone to AA and part of this fresh start was a new look?

Also where did all these other leads come from? Was there an Operation Genoa that used normal tear gas which some people took to be sarin? There did seem to be a lot of evidence (circumstantial though) pointing towards the story.

when did maggie say it wasnt true?
  • srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When she spoke with the lawyers it was mentioned that Jerry was questioning her character and claiming she was on anti depressants (or something) after her ordeal in Africa.
    She also said something about the General didn't say it happened. can't remember the wording, as it wasn't in full context at the time it kind of slipped by.

So I'm assuming that Maggie will claim the story is false and Jerry will accuse her of being high, unreliable or generally unfit to be in the newsroom in order to keep his story alive. I am doing some guessing as the bits and pieces we've had so far have been a little scattered and I think this season will require a rewatch to fully appreciate it.
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    When she spoke with the lawyers it was mentioned that Jerry was questioning her character and claiming she was on anti depressants (or something) after her ordeal in Africa.
    She also said something about the General didn't say it happened. can't remember the wording, as it wasn't in full context at the time it kind of slipped by.

So I'm assuming that Maggie will claim the story is false and Jerry will accuse her of being high, unreliable or generally unfit to be in the newsroom in order to keep his story alive. I am doing some guessing as the bits and pieces we've had so far have been a little scattered and I think this season will require a rewatch to fully appreciate it.

i'm beginning to get confused with this storyline with events not been shown in the right order also Maggie is beginning to lose her status as my favourite character and i'm beginning to like Sloan better even though i always liked both characters. Maybe my love for her will be redeemed when all in revealed in the season finale also i'm beginning to get sick of them not realising that Jerry is a nasty piece of work but as they say it's all in the script and hopefully he will be gone by the beginning of season 3.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite interesting that Genoa is at the forefont, I assume that'll disappear soon and it'll then focus on the Election.

Can't believe we've only got 3 episodes left!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Quite interesting that Genoa is at the forefont, I assume that'll disappear soon and it'll then focus on the Election.

Can't believe we've only got 3 episodes left!

yeah real shame that sorkin/network/both messed up the premiere and had to redo it

s3 isnt 100% official yet either as sorkin has a stevejobs biopic to write and may want to delay/cancel his own show!

p.s anyone else love the s2 theme music now? first 2-3 episodes i wanted to cry as i missed s1 credits so much but im liking this version alot now. need to get it as a ring tone!
  • carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maggie was walking out the door, severely hungover no doubt, and never heard the General saying "It happened"
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    great episode, now we have it confirmed that operation genoa didnt happen.

i think we all knew that deep down but i still wanna know why and how.

poor jerry, hes a likeable guy,shame he will be gone soon

will needs to get with mac and lose his insecurities! dammit i want everyone in the newsroom back on the same page again like s1!

lets hope there is a season 3! pray

edit - http://screenrant.com/newsroom-season-3-hbo/

yay!

I don't think Jerry is meant to be likeable, Jim is the hero and if Jim's got a problem with him then I think you're meant to see Jerry in a negative light.

I was never sure about him :confused:

I do love the Newsroom though, it is one of the few must watch shows on tv. Love the Sloan/Don double act, it's far more interesting than Jim and Maggie. Jim should be with the Romney press spokesperson, they have a proper spark. ;):D
  • Mel GMel G Posts: 5,253
    Forum Member
    I particularly liked the Sloan/Will 'annoying little sister' strand this week; it both gave Will a storyline (as Sorkin obviously wants to keep him at arms length from the Genoa stuff at present) and got rid of his annoying girlfriend (hurrah). Liked the Mac/Don scenes in the bar too.

As for Genoa - am on tenterhooks; can't wait for next week to see how it all implodes.
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

s3 isnt 100% official yet either as sorkin has a stevejobs biopic to write and may want to delay/cancel his own show!

Jeff Daniels has already confirmed there will be a third season.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...poor jerry, hes a likeable guy,shame he will be gone soon...

I had already started to assume this, the actor who plays him is one of the main characters in Robin Williams new sitcom, ‘The Crazy Ones’. Now I know how they are going to get rid of his character in The Newsroom.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOSG wrote: »
    Jeff Daniels has already confirmed there will be a third season.

yeh but then the network said "official" was a strong word or something similar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I had already started to assume this, the actor who plays him is one of the main characters in Robin Williams new sitcom, ‘The Crazy Ones’. Now I know how they are going to get rid of his character in The Newsroom.
    We've known for a while that Jerry was fired and has brought a wrongful termination suit against the company - that much was made explicit in the Maggie Uganda episode. We were also told in the season opener that a video had been doctored.
  • NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've known for a while that Jerry was fired and has brought a wrongful termination suit against the company - that much was made explicit in the Maggie Uganda episode. We were also told in the season opener that a video had been doctored.

True. But it was known he was cast in ‘The Crazy Ones’ before the first episode of this season of The Newsroom had even been broadcast over here, so it was fairly clear he wouldn’t be in this for very long. I had completely forgotten that we had already been told about the doctored tape in the first episode though, I must pay more attention! :)