amanduhamanduh Posts: 1,970
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome to 1991.

By the way, in the UK we call them Mobile Phones.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aload of crap
  • amanduhamanduh Posts: 1,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Welcome to 1991.

By the way, in the UK we call them Mobile Phones.

We do... and the article was written just last year and appeared in December 09's edition of GQ magazine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sarah04 wrote: »
    aload of crap

How so Sarah?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quote from the 1st link:

"However, brain tumours often take a very long time to develop so we will need to look for any future changes in incidence rates to see if mobile phones could pose any longer-term risks."

And from the second, "This research has been carried out in mice that mimic some of the symptoms of Alzheimer's in people, so we don't know if any similar effects will be seen in humans."

"Although the researchers hope their findings will translate to people, much more research is needed to find out if there could be any beneficial effects of long-term exposure to electro-magnetism, and to guarantee its safety."

I understand EM radiowaves can be used to treat some medical conditions, but you can hardly recommend using your mobile phone as a course of treatment! Also, Alzheimers is listed as one of the serious health risks of living near a phone mast and it has only recently been reported in the media how the numbers of sufferers are on the increase.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    amanduh wrote: »
    How so Sarah?

You've not really kept up with the discussion on this topic. As of yet there is only sporadic anecdotal evidence of any ill effects associated with mobile phones. The official advice is to limit usage in children, as a precaution. i.e playing safe.
    That article you quote is superficial and muddled.
  • KnightonKnighton Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We do... and the article was written just last year and appeared in December 09's edition of GQ magazine.

That's no excuse. I instantly fail to take seriously any article in the UK which refers to 'cell phones'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knighton wrote: »
    That's no excuse. I instantly fail to take seriously any article in the UK which refers to 'cell phones'.

:D The writer's American... he's allowed to call them cell phones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prking wrote: »
    You've not really kept up with the discussion on this topic. As of yet there is only sporadic anecdotal evidence of any ill effects associated with mobile phones. The official advice is to limit usage in children, as a precaution. i.e playing safe.
    That article you quote is superficial and muddled.

For the benefit of those who like me haven't kept up with the discussion, how is it superfical and muddled prking?

Have you heard of the Ecolog Report? T-Mobile commissioned a report into the safety of mobile phones back in 2005, and sat on it because they didn't like the findings! How's that for customer service??!!

I'm really just passing the info on to any interested parties so they can make an informed choice about how and when they use their mobile, if at all.
  • KnightonKnighton Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D The writer's American... he's allowed to call them cell phones.

You're not though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knighton wrote: »
    You're not though.

I don't Knighton- it's the title of the article. :)
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well for a start it's in CQ magazine, and although it refers to scientific reports there appears to be no properly peer reviewed and generally scientifically agreed confirmation that there is any risk. In fact many studies have found there is no risk.

There have been stories about this since the 1990's many of the more recent scientific journals and reports suggest there is no risk to adults and due to the unknown risks to children it is advised to limit a young child's usage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Well for a start it's in CQ magazine, and although it refers to scientific reports there appears to be no properly peer reviewed and generally scientifically agreed confirmation that there is any risk. In fact many studies have found there is no risk.

There have been stories about this since the 1990's many of the more recent scientific journals and reports suggest there is no risk to adults and due to the unknown risks to children it is advised to limit a young child's usage.

The author seems to carry quite a bit of clout in the USA if you google him Thine Wonk.

And as for peer reviewed, scientific community approved info- look no further than the recent BioInitiative Report whose safety guidelines were adopted by the European Parliament in Sep 2007 by 522 votes to 16! (Chucking out the 1998 ICNIRP guidleines the UK still uses which the EP stated were "obsolete and unable to protect the public".)

The 16 page summary is probably the best/easiest way to get the gist of what they're saying:

http://www.bioinitiative.org/report/docs/section_1.pdf
  • Bang Bang BoomBang Bang Boom Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    news flash: who gives a flyin **** what mobiles do to our health? Livin itself has the same outcome... DEATH... the one thing u will NEVER evade, get used to it
  • Bang Bang BoomBang Bang Boom Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    infact, life is more lethal, its inevitable. Mobile phone use isnt
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love my Blackberry so I'm happy to risk my health :p
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well we have known the obvious health dangers of smoking for years now, but that doesnt stop all the idiots from doing it, so NOONE is going to listen to advice about mobiles now. They are too essential for modern life. Just one of lifes gambles.
  • booiebooie Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    You will know when mobile phones are considerd dangerious because we will see government health warnings on tv.
    People who smoked years ago said the government makes too much money in tax to admit to people that smoking was bad for you. The truth was it was costing the government more in funding treatment thats why the government has clamped down so much on smoking. (alchohol and drugs too for that matter)
    The same can be said for mobile phones if conclusive proof showed them to cause ill health then there would be government health warnings.
    Until then stop worrying.... its good to talk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    news flash: who gives a flyin **** what mobiles do to our health? Livin itself has the same outcome... DEATH... the one thing u will NEVER evade, get used to it

Er... me.
    I quite like living and don't really want to go before my time if it can be avoided.
    It's nice to be able to make an informed decision about your choices isn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed re smoking shackfan and booie, can't understand the attraction at all never mind the serious health risks! But I'd argue stongly against mobiles being essential... especially internet access and downloads in the form of games, pictures, films and music etc.

I can't agree with you re government health warnings on the tv though as when the government finally get round to it, the damage will already have been done. Cancer can take 10 years to show for example and at the mo, our government need the £25 billion the phone companies have paid them for the licences plus the associated industry revenue.

Prof Lawrie Challis of the UK Health Protection Agency has been quoted as saying "The government want us to say phone masts are safe, but we can't." and when you realise much of the phone industry backed research finds limited or no risk, whereas all of the independent research finds the exact opposite, it does make you question what we're being told, or NOT told as the case may be.

Remember the government knew of the cancer risks with smoking way before clamping down, same with thalidomide, lead in petrol, mercury in fillings etc. And you have to question why phone companies won't insure you against damage to your health, either from phones or phone masts... that says it all for me.