Options

BBC5 Launch Night

i4ui4u Posts: 55,006
Forum Member
What used to be known as Channel 5 has re-launched as BBC5 over christmas.

Last night's launch night consisted of 1985 TOTP's, followed by 'Some Mother's Do Have Them' and 'The Likely Lads'.

Don't know if I like the idea of repeating the shows the next day.

Do Channel 4 see the new BBC5 as a threat as they are running the full length film of the BBC's 'Porridge' tonight.

Comments

• Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Dave was BBC 5 ;)

but seriously I do hope Channel Five does not do this often
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is amazing how many of the new digital channels are being held together by BBC programmes.

Channel5 seems to have given up this Christmas, is this how they will cut costs in the future.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's hardly surprising that the BBC have chosen to make its programme library available to commercial stations as the income offsets licence fee increases and gives them revenues to spend on new programming. its a win win situation for them allowing them to tap into commercial advertising revenues.

The world has changed a lot with high rating BBC shows being produced by Talkback Thames and ITV productions and stations like STV airing BBC shows.

All things considered its a good deal for the licence payers!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well to some extent its no surprise that channels jointy owned by BBC Worldwide, have large amounts of BBC shows on them.

Still I do wonder what the other channels offer that isnt BBC/ ITV repeats & US imports.

As for Five, as you say its a cheap option, but ratings were ok
    Top of the Pops 1985 1m / 4.6%
    Some Mothers 1.5m / 5.5%
    Likely Lads 893,000 / 3.4%
    Five has done alot worse in the past, however it did get hit at 9pm (Likely Lads)
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »

I thought Dave was known as "The Clarkson Channel"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    I think that is unfair, Clarkson is far from the only BBC star to be repeated to death on Dave, you also have Stephen Fy on Qi, and other BBC panel shows repeat just as much.
  • Options
    Paul89Paul89 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    The website BBC5.tv ( http://www.bbc5.tv/eyeplayer/ ) and its 'eyeplayer' ) is a little frightening!:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the BBC shold look into having that shut down
  • Options
    tvstudiestvstudies Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul89 wrote: »
    The website BBC5.tv ( http://www.bbc5.tv/eyeplayer/ ) and its 'eyeplayer' ) is a little frightening!:eek:

I think David Shayler is involved with that site.
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the BBC shold look into having that shut down

Why? Free publicity!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? Free publicity!
    it is hardly the best repersentation of the BBC
  • Options
    The-SalfordianThe-Salfordian Posts: 276
    Forum Member

but seriously I do hope Channel Five does not do this often

Well the BBC do own 50% of UKTV which is no doubt the reason why a lot of the BBC's programming is made to fit in with adverts. Still its nice to see the BBC can go commercial if it wants too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well the BBC do own 50% of UKTV which is no doubt the reason why a lot of the BBC's programming is made to fit in with adverts. Still its nice to see the BBC can go commercial if it wants too
    I have to disagree with that statement.

The ad breaks in Dave are always poorly timed, the fact is most shows will have a spot where an ad break can be taken, even if they dont try to put that spot in.

Actually I think any show which may have consideration for ad breaks, is one that has co-production funding involved.

Another reaosn there maybe spots for an ad break is that its down to the production companys looking for future resale, rather than the BBC itself.
  • Options
    The-SalfordianThe-Salfordian Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    I have to disagree with that statement..

I had a strange feeling you would be one of the people disagreeing with me however people can see how long BBC shows are these days but you carry on denying :p
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The ad breaks in Dave are always poorly timed, the fact is most shows will have a spot where an ad break can be taken, even if they dont try to put that spot in.

Actually I think any show which may have consideration for ad breaks, is one that has co-production funding involved.

Another reaosn there maybe spots for an ad break is that its down to the production companys looking for future resale, rather than the BBC itself.

It's not that they are poorly times, but cut badly - most stuff ends up being screened in a same sized slot as it would be on the BBC but is obviously cut to shreds to fit the ads in.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    It is amazing how many of the new digital channels are being held together by BBC programmes.

Channel5 seems to have given up this Christmas, is this how they will cut costs in the future.
    They've not given up at all. It's just a few nights of nostalgic programming over the festive period, hardly excessive! Presumably the rights they had allowed for daytime repeats and that's why they've been scheduled twice.

The ratings were very good last night, suggesting this was a popular alternative with viewers. But BBC 5 it is not, just Channel 5 trying something a bit different.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't forget the occasionally shocking editing for things like Top Gear. You can tell where content should be, and you can sometimes see jump cuts where one of the hosts is about to say something but the editing removes it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Don't forget the occasionally shocking editing for things like Top Gear. You can tell where content should be, and you can sometimes see jump cuts where one of the hosts is about to say something but the editing removes it.
    isnt Top Gear a BBC production? that would explain why so much has to be hacked out when it airs on Dave.
    I had a strange feeling you would be one of the people disagreeing with me however people can see how long BBC shows are these days but you carry on denying :p
    feel free to name a show? in my experince BBC shows run there time slot if not more, for example the most recent Doctor Who was 62 minutes, instead of 60.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    isnt Top Gear a BBC production? that would explain why so much has to be hacked out when it airs on Dave.

In that case you'd have thought that given the amount of money that commercial resale brings in, they could hire better editors or get the presenters to re-record bits to help with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In that case you'd have thought that given the amount of money that commercial resale brings in, they could hire better editors or get the presenters to re-record bits to help with that.
    if BBC WW wishes to pay for that then yes it can, however when the BBC makes something in house, its only concern should be the BBC airing of the program, the BBC should not be using people paid by the licence fee to make commercail friendly edits for programs.

If BBC WW wants to take what aired on the BBC, edit it, maybe pay Clarkson and co to record some new links, and sell that to commercail channels, then it can, however doing that would not be a suitable use for the licence fee.
  • Options
    Forum Member

But when a channel chooses to place an ad could be literally anywhere in international terms.

American programmes used to allow for ad breaks directly after the titles.

Some programmes are becoming very annoying as they seem to have been edited into byte size chunks to allow for variations in the placing of adverts.

Often on daytime programmes they'll repeatedly have a sting preceeded by what's coming next and followed by a re-cap of whats happened so far.

The obvious hacking of programmes by stations such as Dave, shows how cheap minded they are and have just probably entered a timecode into a computer.

Channel 5 chopped a very funny scene during 'Some Mothers Do Have 'Em' to go to an ad break with a dodgy edit.

Many of the digital channels don't seem to have the creativity or money to make programmes and are heavily reliant on the BBC, ITV or C4 for content.
  • Options
    Forum Member

But then it could be argued programmes should have content that appeals to an international audience rather than UK, which can lead verrrry bland programmes.

I think TOTP's used to provided links done for foreign broadcasters but that may have been done as part of the original deal.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Jason100 wrote: »

Never heard that before but I think they show a lot of Top Gear.
    Paul89 wrote: »

OMG I'm gonna have nightmares after that :eek::p
  • Options
    flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    does this mean it affects our licnece fee ? (joke) on a more serious issue there has to be a time when there are too many tv channels,have we not met this ? what will we get next BBC6 BBC7. i am still trying to work out why there is still a BBC HD will this channel up end being BBC 2 HD ? i wonder
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    the BBC should not be using people paid by the licence fee to make commercail friendly edits for programs.

They don't. BBC WW does that.
    If BBC WW wants to take what aired on the BBC, edit it, maybe pay Clarkson and co to record some new links, and sell that to commercail channels, then it can, however doing that would not be a suitable use for the licence fee.

Why wouldn't it?

The edits are made to accommodate the commercial breaks and are made to a set time, the exact same time for each episode. Recording new links would ruin this as they would take up more time. And the new links would be so obvious, as the TG presenters and set have changed considerably since some of the earlier episodes.

Do you think the presenters would go to all the trouble of recording new links anyway? I don't think so.