If your child dies in Australia at 1am and you hear about it straight away

2»

Comments

• VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    It's a sensible enough question, it is just people do not like a hypothetical child being used in it.

Shall I change it to Ian Huntley maybe then everyone can relax a bit....
    Forum Member
    Tom_Tit wrote: »
    Weirdo.

And...?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    Shall I change it to Ian Huntley maybe then everyone can relax a bit....

Just to add a twist, put he eloped with Rose West after them both escaping jail and they both met their demise as a croc wanted to join in with the amorous activity.:D
    Forum Member
    Just to add a twist, put he eloped with Rose West after them both escaping jail and they both met their demise as a croc wanted to join in with the amorous activity.:D

Perfect :D
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    What a strange thread :confused:
  • RevengaRevenga Posts: 11,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinman wrote: »
    Looks like we have a winner for the "stupid question of the year"award.

It's not a stupid question at all, especially if it was NYE/NYD.

Officially, they'd have died on the 1st January 2011. But, from your perspective, it was 31st December 2010. In years to come, would you say they died in 2010 or 2011? Because although they died in 2011, you knew about it in 2010.

Seems to me like people are just getting themselves all wound up because a child was mentioned (although it wasn't actually a child, but your child - meaning they could be 40). Does it really make a difference if the word child/friend/lover/third-cousin-once-removed was used? .
  • bonpennybonpenny Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    Why not, your daughter who emigrated to Auz gives birth etc...?
    Forum Member
    Revenga wrote: »
    It's not a stupid question at all, especially if it was NYE/NYD.

Officially, they'd have died on the 1st January 2011. But, from your perspective, it was 31st December 2010. In years to come, would you say they died in 2010 or 2011? Because although they died in 2011, you knew about it in 2010.

Seems to me like people are just getting themselves all wound up because a child was mentioned (although it wasn't actually a child, but your child - meaning they could be 40). Does it really make a difference if the word child/friend/lover/third-cousin-once-removed was used? .

Thank you - people seem to be over-reacting slightly don't they - and they seem to not like anything slightly weird or strange either
  • CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    I think the OP means that if a loved one gets run down by a bus in Australia then, because OZ is 12 hours behind us , theoretically you have a 12 hour window of opportunity to fly to Australia and prevent that someone from being killed.

I think that's right...................... my science is pretty good.

Australia is ahead of us and in relation to when we change our clocks, the eastern parts of Oz can be up to 9 or 11 hours ahead in summer and winter respectively.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's say you're the mum of the child and divorced from the child's dad, who has decided to go with your child to Australia on holiday. He's the only person who knows your child in Australia. If your child died, and you told everybody over here, and then in years to come you were to mark the anniversary, I think you would mark it on the anniversary of the day you found out about it, rather than the Australian date.

It would be more complicated if the child was known in both countries and people in both countries wanted to mark the occasion. Perhaps in Australia, it would be marked a day after this day.
    Forum Member
    To add another time twist - what if someone died whilst flying across the time/date line over the Pacific?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,103
    Forum Member
    What about if they were in a spaceship 1 light year away and you just recieved a transmission that the spaceship had got blown up. Is their date of death now, or a year ago?

I guess it sucks either way, and what gets written on the tombstone is probably up to the funeral director or whatever, so don't sweat it.
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    tinman wrote: »
    Looks like we have a winner for the "stupid question of the year"award.

This year or next year?
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    This year or next year?

:D:D:D
  • TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a strange and odd question ..why Australia....:D
  • Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP can't win, if she used some other example people would be saying who cares...
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    I know someone whose friend died in Oz a few weeks back - I'm quite obsessed with time/dates etc that's all - nothing sinister or evil or malicious was intended

So was it a child that died?

If not i find it pretty odd why you said " If your child dies " rather than just saying "If somebody dies".

Why a child?
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CloneClown wrote: »
    To add another time twist - what if someone died whilst flying across the time/date line over the Pacific?

I suppose it would depend on what those they knew perceived the day to be at the time, for example, if they set off on the Tuesday, it may be Tuesday to them. Another factor would be when they were pronounced dead. I don't know if they use GMT when pronouncing people dead in the air, or which ever timezone they're in at the time.

There are islands on the date line. If a boat sunk, and people were found dead on both sides of the date line, then I wonder which day would be given for their deaths? Even if the boat sank or was ripped apart, it may be on both sides of the date line.
    TheMask wrote: »
    why Australia....:D

Probably because it's a country people think of as being on the other side of the world. One could apply this to New Zealand or another country.