Hooded ClawHooded Claw Posts: 504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^^^^

I like that :D
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Just received a Humax TN7000HD from TvCorner (delivered in 4 days). It took about 30 minutes to set up and tune in, I am now receiving the main french channels and also added the german ARD/ZDF HD channels and a few others. It appears to receive all FR3 regions but haven't tried that yet.

The receiver menu offers a Diseq facility so all I have to do now is figure out how to make it scan the Eutelsat Hotbird channels. So for the price, a good buy, the power supply is a two-pin "wall wart" covering 100-240 volts so I connected it through a shaver adapter.

Now I will see what the programmes are like.
  • Options
    mw963mw963 Posts: 3,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the good news for you and others Mike is that it seems fairly certain now that on 1st July 2015 the TNTsat offer on Canalsat will go pretty much HD throughout - they're saying 22 out of 25 channels will be proper HD.

See

http://www.tvnt.net/forum/tntsat-sd-s-arretera-au-printemps-2016-t35439.html

In addition, this week's magazine "TeleSatellite/Cable" has said much the same thing, namely that Canalsat itself goes entirely HD (with SD feeds being switched off) and TNTsat follows suit on the same day, with 22/25 channels going HD. Of course, with TNTsat we still keep the SD duplicates until April 2016 but after that date TNTsat SD receivers will not be much use other than for FTA SD fare.

It's likely in my view that Fransat will be quick to follow, in fact in some ways they've stolen a small march on TNTsat as NT1 and TMC joined TF1 and HD1 as HD channels on that platform a few weeks ago, and it seems unlikely that Fransat will want to be seen as being behind the competition.

Great news for us francophiles all round. Can't wait for Julie Andrieu on France 3 to go HD although it seems that certainly the FR3 regionals won't be HD for a while yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And the good news for you and others Mike is that it seems fairly certain now that on 1st July 2015 the TNTsat offer on Canalsat will go pretty much HD throughout - they're saying 22 out of 25 channels will be proper HD.

See

http://www.tvnt.net/forum/tntsat-sd-s-arretera-au-printemps-2016-t35439.html

In addition, this week's magazine "TeleSatellite/Cable" has said much the same thing, namely that Canalsat itself goes entirely HD (with SD feeds being switched off) and TNTsat follows suit on the same day, with 22/25 channels going HD. Of course, with TNTsat we still keep the SD duplicates until April 2016 but after that date TNTsat SD receivers will not be much use other than for FTA SD fare.

It's likely in my view that Fransat will be quick to follow, in fact in some ways they've stolen a small march on TNTsat as NT1 and TMC joined TF1 and HD1 as HD channels on that platform a few weeks ago, and it seems unlikely that Fransat will want to be seen as being behind the competition.

Great news for us francophiles all round. Can't wait for Julie Andrieu on France 3 to go HD although it seems that certainly the FR3 regionals won't be HD for a while yet.

Thanks for that, will read the french item. ARD in Germany have no problems doing regional HD and there still looks to be spare capacity not used since Germany turned off analogue. Or are they waiting for this new HEVC system?

I assume I will have to re-tune the receiver myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    re retune - very unlikely, TNTsat are normally red-hot about updating the channel lists, ie the box behaves as a Sky box does on Sky.

I assume that there'll probably just be a message on-screen on the 1st of July saying "new channels added" (if like me your menus are switched to English!!).

It really is very good news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    re retune - very unlikely, TNTsat are normally red-hot about updating the channel lists, ie the box behaves as a Sky box does on Sky.

I assume that there'll probably just be a message on-screen on the 1st of July saying "new channels added" (if like me your menus are switched to English!!).

It really is very good news.

I will wait and see what happens. On my box, I set "Paris IDF" for the regional programmes, the other regions appear further down and can be selected. The EPG is very basic and doesn't list anything for France 3. Unfortunately, compared with a Sky HDBox it just seems a bit basic, but it does the job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Entirely agree, the EPG is a disgrace. No better on Fransat.

At least now you CAN watch any France 3 region fairly easily, in the early implementations of TNTsat the FR3 you chose for your location was the only one you could watch, so channel hopping involved a lot of visits to the set-up menu! That in the days when TNTsat boxes would only work on Astra 1, point the dish at anything else and they just stopped. So some improvements over the years!
  • Options
    mici01mici01 Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, will read the french item. ARD in Germany have no problems doing regional HD and there still looks to be spare capacity not used since Germany turned off analogue. Or are they waiting for this new HEVC system?

I assume I will have to re-tune the receiver myself.

Well, I don't think they will use for HEVC as they would need new boxes for this.

OK. some Math here:
    There are currently 24 Versions of FR3 on 2 Transponders (DVB-S1).
    CanalSat currently have 7 HD channels on a HD-only Transponder (DVB-S2)
    So that means they cold run all the versions of FR3 in HD on 4 Transponders, while having capacity for 4 more channels. And as you said there is plenty of unused capacity on Astra1 since the Germans shut down analogue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I perhaps could have been clearer; the problem as I understand it is not the lack of satellite capacity but rather the lack of money to get all the FR 3 areas into HD. Similarly to the BBC the licence fee in France is no longer generous, particularly since the added restriction on evening advertising on the public channels.

But I do hope that the move to MPEG4 might mean that we get slightly clearer pictures on France 3, whose quality is often lamentable. I realise that moving to MPEG4 doesn't "improve" what's coming in from the studio but one hopes that maybe a few things might be improved in the transmission chain even if it's not a move to proper HD.

We shall see.....

(And as a PS, it's going to be very interesting to see what's moved where when the move to HD comes, Canalsat can ditch the SD feeds of channels it carries as part of its subscription base of course as all the subscriber boxes are now HD capable, but it does have to keep the SD versions of TNTsat channels until April 2016).
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    I
    But I do hope that the move to MPEG4 might mean that we get slightly clearer pictures on France 3, whose quality is often lamentable. I realise that moving to MPEG4 doesn't "improve" what's coming in from the studio
    Sadly I don't think the problem is with the studio feeds. By cramming 12 regional channels onto each transponder the level of compression is excessive, made worse by the fact that all of the channels are carrying the same info most of the time, so even the usual random variations that make statmuxing work won't apply.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them take the good signal from the studios, upscale it to HD, and then overcompress the MPEG4 back to the same level of quality as we have today.

I have an indirect contact into F3, I'll see what I can find out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may well be right Steve, but it strikes me that the FTA version of France 3 on 11591 MHz is as bad as the regionals, or almost as bad. As that feeds the terrestrial TNT network one would hope that it was as good as possible but it seems to me to be pretty awful at times, particularly nature/outdoor material.

Would be interested to hear what you find out...

Certainly I have the feeling that TF1 HD on Fransat has got worse in the last year or so as Bein Sport and now NRJ12 have been added to that transponder. I'm afraid we may go the way of Absat (and indeed BIS TV) with lamentable picture quality becoming the scourge not just of SD but HD as well.
  • Options
    mici01mici01 Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    I perhaps could have been clearer; the problem as I understand it is not the lack of satellite capacity but rather the lack of money to get all the FR 3 areas into HD. Similarly to the BBC the licence fee in France is no longer generous, particularly since the added restriction on evening advertising on the public channels.

But I do hope that the move to MPEG4 might mean that we get slightly clearer pictures on France 3, whose quality is often lamentable. I realise that moving to MPEG4 doesn't "improve" what's coming in from the studio but one hopes that maybe a few things might be improved in the transmission chain even if it's not a move to proper HD.

We shall see.....

(And as a PS, it's going to be very interesting to see what's moved where when the move to HD comes, Canalsat can ditch the SD feeds of channels it carries as part of its subscription base of course as all the subscriber boxes are now HD capable, but it does have to keep the SD versions of TNTsat channels until April 2016).

Ah, OK I see what you mean there.

In case of FR3 HD the French Wikipedia says its started on 23 May 2010 on cable and IPTV (in France that's called ADSL): http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_3#France_3_.28depuis_1992.29
    Via Google Translator:
    On 23 May 2010, France 3 broadcasts in High Definition (HD) on cable and ADSL.

But I don't know if that's only the national feed (the one that's also FTA on 5°W) or the regional versions. So there is at least some sort of an HD output, which means we cold ether get an 'BBC one' like setup, with one nationwide HD feed and the regions stay SD. Or they put out the regions out in HD and upscale the regions which aren't in HD.
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me to see them take the good signal from the studios, upscale it to HD, and then overcompress the MPEG4 back to the same level of quality as we have today.

I have an indirect contact into F3, I'll see what I can find out.

They could do it like the Germans via dynamic PMT-Switch. In that case the boxes may find many different channels on a TP, but in reality it's only one main feed. And when there's a regional programme it switches to many feeds (maybe something the BBC could look into for the English Regions in HD). These regional feeds can even be SD to save bandwidth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's very interesting about France 3 in HD via ADSL. For those of us with only a 500 kbps connection we're going to have to wait for the sat HD version, but further digging around seems to suggest that France 3 production is already equipped for HD (which I didn't know) although France 5 (and indeed the more recent France 4) are not yet equipped.

So maybe we will see France 3 in HD shortly on sat, which would be a big bonus as they have some programmes that I'd watch if the quality wasn't so absolutely terrible in SD.
  • Options
    SatpacksSatpacks Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Hello all members,

I joined this forum recently after I discovered this thread using Google.
    Thank you all for your contributions. I found them very helpful.
    As the last post was in June, I hope that this thread is still relevant.
    I am located in Israel and receiving TNTSAT from Astra 19.2E was a bit of a gamble, as I can receive only the Astra 1M Wide Beam. I tested before ordering the Humax receiver that I can get all the encrypted channels on TP 11,856V using Ferguson Ariva HD Combo.
    On this TP I got France 2, France 3, NRJ12 and TMC, which are part of the TNTSAT SD package. My main interest is in watching the France 2 channel, even in SD.
    After ordering and receiving the TN7000HD from Amazon France, I found it was impossible to get all the channels on TP 11,856V. All I got is the iTele which is an FTA channel and can be watched with any other satellite receiver.
    One good thing about this box is that the TNTSAT card got activated automatically as soon as I inserted it in the CAM slot and I got the promised four years of service.
    The receiver seems to have a mind of it's own. It will not fetch all the encrypted channels on any TP on Astra 19.2 1M.
    So now I am stuck with a box that can only open Cherie 25, D17, BFMTV (FTA).
    Is there any way that I can get those SD channels on TP 11,856V using this box?
    I tried few trick without any luck.

The Ethernet connector that does nothing is another disappointment. In fact on the TNTSAT website, this receiver was the only one that was shown in the results.

Thanks for any replies on this problem,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, a few guesses to get you going.

As it's an HD box it will have tried to put France 2 HD in position two on the channel list. Given your location and the fact that you're on the edge of what's feasible, my guess is that the box just isn't getting a strong enough signal to display France 2 HD. Do you get a message along the lines of "This channel is not available on your installation, please contact your installer"?

What I don't know is whether it will let you do a manual scan (and importantly a successful save) on the France 2 SD frequency, and as you say you might have to employ subterfuge. What you could try is to set it up as though it's connected via a Disecq box, and tell it that the second satellite is Astra 2. Having done that, try a manual scan on 11856 MHz with Astra 2 selected rather than Astra 1, the fact that there isn't a Disecq box shouldn't make any difference, the box will still see the Astra 1 signals.

It would only be a stop gap as the SD channels are likely to disappear next April.

Does your test box still pick up 11856 MHz (albeit of course without decrypting France 2)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmmm, a few guesses to get you going.

As it's an HD box it will have tried to put France 2 HD in position two on the channel list. Given your location and the fact that you're on the edge of what's feasible, my guess is that the box just isn't getting a strong enough signal to display France 2 HD. Do you get a message along the lines of "This channel is not available on your installation, please contact your installer"?

What I don't know is whether it will let you do a manual scan (and importantly a successful save) on the France 2 SD frequency, and as you say you might have to employ subterfuge. What you could try is to set it up as though it's connected via a Disecq box, and tell it that the second satellite is Astra 2. Having done that, try a manual scan on 11856 MHz with Astra 2 selected rather than Astra 1, the fact that there isn't a Disecq box shouldn't make any difference, the box will still see the Astra 1 signals.

It would only be a stop gap as the SD channels are likely to disappear next April.

Does your test box still pick up 11856 MHz (albeit of course without decrypting France 2)?

Thanks Martin for your suggestions.
    I have given up on the HD channels on the European beam few years ago when I had another TNTSAT receiver from Technisat. Yes I do get this message.
    I did manual scan on TP 11,856 and I get a strong signal but it only gets me the iTele FTA channels.
    Funny enough, I did try the Astra 2 trick as I do have a Diseqc switch and assigned the same port which happened to be port 4 of 4, but I got the iTele channel again.
    I don't know if it would make any difference if Astra 19.2E was physically connected to port 1 of 4, but I am not going to try that as it is very high up on the roof.
    I think TNTSAT has crippled the receiver in the software so it doesn't fetch encrypted channels on Astra 19.2, especially the TNTSAT SD channels.
    I don't mind enjoying these missing SD channels even till April 2016. It's anybody's guess what will happen to this TP. For the ridiculous price of Euro 15 for a 4 year subscription, it is a very good value for money for any package.

Yes my test box still picks all the missing SD channels and in addition it fetches all the encrypted channels which is nice to have as this means my system is working perfectly.
    It would be a great help if any member would have the time to check manual scan on TP 11,856V and see if the results are different from what I am getting.
    Thanks again for your help, Martin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got to go out this evening but I'll have a play with my Humax 5000 TNTsat box tomorrow and see if I can persuade it to play ball with France 2 SD.

I wonder what happens if you do a factory reset, then don't connect the dish until it's tried to do a TNTsat scan, then do a manual search on 11856 MHz. That way France 2 wouldn't be in its memory.
  • Options
    marceljackmarceljack Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,
    I cannot check since I don't have a TNTSAT receiver here in Paris (I have only one in Royan).
    It's possible that they are only stored if you make a "complete scan", not just a TNTSAT quick scan. I would be surprised that in this case the SD channels are not stored somewhere, maybe far in the numbering (1000 or more, with the other FTA channels)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marceljack wrote: »
    Hi,
    I cannot check since I don't have a TNTSAT receiver here in Paris (I have only one in Royan).
    It's possible that they are only stored if you make a "complete scan", not just a TNTSAT quick scan. I would be surprised that in this case the SD channels are not stored somewhere, maybe far in the numbering (1000 or more, with the other FTA channels)?

I have tried complete scan several times and these SD channels are not stored anywhere.
    The Technisat TNTSAT receiver behaves the same. I bought the Humax because I thought I would have better luck with it.
    It would be interesting to see if any other TNTSAT receiver like Strong, Thomson, Cahor would be able to store all the channels on this transponder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just tried connecting my Humax 5000 to a dish with JUST Astra 1, then doing a scan on 11856 MHz but with Astra 2 selected (ie Disecq position two). Sadly it wasn't fooled. Just like yours it only produces iTele on that frequency.

I don't really want to do a factory reset on mine as there are a lot of other channels stored, but I think it could be worth a go, ie clear the memory, don't let it do an initial scan, then do a manual scan on 11856 MHz, possibly without the card inserted...?

In other news, whilst I was doing all that I got a message, red writing, blue screen, that said:

Le gouvernement a annonc e le prochain passage a la TNT HD. Des le 15/12 votre decodeur TNTSAT ne permettra plus de recevoir les programmes regionaux de France 3. Zappez en 0 pour plus d'information.

Well helpfully there is no channel 0 to zap to (well done Canalsat) but I'm puzzled as to why - having finally got the system up and running to switch pretty seamlessly from France 3 HD national to France 3 SD <region of choice> they now appear to be taking that avenue of pleasure away from us again.

Apologies to marceljack for the lack of accents above!
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    In other news, whilst I was doing all that I got a message, red writing, blue screen, that said:

Le gouvernement a annonc e le prochain passage a la TNT HD. Des le 15/12 votre decodeur TNTSAT ne permettra plus de recevoir les programmes regionaux de France 3. Zappez en 0 pour plus d'information.

Well helpfully there is no channel 0 to zap to (well done Canalsat) but I'm puzzled as to why - having finally got the system up and running to switch pretty seamlessly from France 3 HD national to France 3 SD <region of choice> they now appear to be taking that avenue of pleasure away from us again.

I think what is happening on Dec 15th is that the SD versions of the regional F3 channels will become MPEG4 (but still SD, not HD) so you'll need an HD decoder to pick them up. The "all regions" composite channel will still be available on SD decoders until April 2016.
    I'm not sure why your HD decoder would display the message, perhaps just a glitch?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, I suspect you're right Steve. Seems a likely explanation. Thanks.
  • Options
    marceljackmarceljack Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think what is happening on Dec 15th is that the SD versions of the regional F3 channels will become MPEG4 (but still SD, not HD) so you'll need an HD decoder to pick them up. The "all regions" composite channel will still be available on SD decoders until April 2016.
    Exactly.
    I'm not sure why your HD decoder would display the message, perhaps just a glitch?
    Yes, normally this message should not be displayed on HD receivers (in normal use at least) .;-)
    I think the channel 0 mentioned is only available at this position on SD receivers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, well of course it happened - now I think of it - when I entered 11856 MHz as the freq to be scanned. Interesting....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've just tried connecting my Humax 5000 to a dish with JUST Astra 1, then doing a scan on 11856 MHz but with Astra 2 selected (ie Disecq position two). Sadly it wasn't fooled. Just like yours it only produces iTele on that frequency.

I don't really want to do a factory reset on mine as there are a lot of other channels stored, but I think it could be worth a go, ie clear the memory, don't let it do an initial scan, then do a manual scan on 11856 MHz, possibly without the card inserted...?

Thanks a lot Martin for taking the time to test this.
    I have tried factory reset before, with and without the card but had no luck.
    If only there was a way to add channels to the box like a channel list using a USB flash, but obviously this is not possible.
    I think I will give up on this search.
    As I am interested only in receiving France 2 directly on my TV, is there a streaming box that has France 2 App like the BBC iPlayer for example?
    Another possibility is to buy BIS card and use it on HotBird 13E, but from past experience, this package is no match in quality to the Astra 19.2E and it is very expensive for just one channel.