Smoking to be banned on the beach

Comments

• BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will2911 wrote: »
    To be honest, should be banned everywhere public. The only place smokers should be able to smoke is their own home

I don't like dogs or cats. These should be confined to peoples homes too and not allowed out to defecate everywhere.
  • Will2911Will2911 Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    I don't like dogs or cats. These should be confined to peoples homes too and not allowed out to defecate everywhere.

Completely different. Treading in Dog mess, whilst annoying, won't damage your health. Breathing in someone's second hand smoke will
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,979
    Forum Member

I'm with you! Everybody choose one thing that should be confined to the person's home who does it.

I choose people who tut at me when I'm smoking in a smoking area. They should be confined to their homes.
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely different. Treading in Dog mess, whilst annoying, won't damage your health. Breathing in someone's second hand smoke will

I don't smoke, but I'm against the idea of this ban.

Someone smoking, out in the open, is not going to damage your health with their second hand smoke.

If it was being banned for litter reasons, I'd have some sympathy, but the fact they want to ban e-cigs and vaporisers as well tells me it's just people trying to control how other people live their lives, even when they are doing something completely legal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wrong !
    it has been estimated that a single gram of dog waste can contain 23 million fecal coliform bacteria, which are known to cause cramps, diarrhea, intestinal illness, and serious kidney disorders in humans. EPA even estimates that two or three days’ worth of droppings from a population of about 100 dogs would contribute enough bacteria to temporarily close a bay, and all watershed areas within 20 miles of it, to swimming and shell fishing.

http://www.doodycalls.com/resources-toxic-dog-waste/
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    I don't smoke, but I'm against the idea of this ban.

Someone smoking, out in the open, is not going to damage your health with their second hand smoke.

If it was being banned for litter reasons, I'd have some sympathy, but the fact they want to ban e-cigs and vaporisers as well tells me it's just people trying to control how other people live their lives, even when they are doing something completely legal.

Smoking is legal too, but it doesn't mean you can do it anywhere you want.

I suspect it's to prevent people from saying "well, if he can use an e cig, I can smoke too". No one can claim there's special treatment.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is too far, if someone wants to smoke in the open they should be allowed to do so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Smoking is legal too, but it doesn't mean you can do it anywhere you want.

Yes, but when it comes to vast open spaces the line is clearly being crossed in my view.

I'm for its banning it in enclosed spaces, however out in vast open spaces, I think that's starting to get dangerously freaky.
    Forum Member
    Where do they think the **** butts are going to go if they ban this anyway? Not that I would do it but I could walk to the boundary of the beach, stand right on it, blow smoke onto the beach and still drop my **** end on the beach.

Also where does the beach end at the water end? If I fancied a **** and the water was clear enough, could I not just go and have a little paddle in the water whilst smoking and still drop my **** end on the floor when I got out?

If the problem is litter, by banning smoking on the beach, they haven't actually tackled the issue of litter.
  • Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Where do they think the **** butts are going to go if they ban this anyway? Not that I would do it but I could walk to the boundary of the beach, stand right on it, blow smoke onto the beach and still drop my **** end on the beach.

Also where does the beach end at the water end? If I fancied a **** and the water was clear enough, could I not just go and have a little paddle in the water whilst smoking and still drop my **** end on the floor when I got out?

If the problem is litter, by banning smoking on the beach, they haven't actually tackled the issue of litter.
    It it was about litter they could take steps to ensure existing anti-littering laws are enforced. However, it isn't about litter. From the article:
    Officials claim that they are taking to drastic step to discourage young people from taking up the smoking habit on holiday.
    As usual, it's about behaviour modification.
  • DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarisse76 wrote: »
    It it was about litter they could take steps to ensure existing anti-littering laws are enforced. However, it isn't about litter. From the article:As usual, it's about behaviour modification.

If this is really the case then I strongly oppose this ban.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    With the ongoing cuts to the police and local authorities, who exactly is going to enforce this?

Begging and drinking alcohol in the street are also "illegal" but it's not hard to see both in any town.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fish and chips.

Unhealthy and messy. A huge contributor to litter at the seaside.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Fish and chips.

Unhealthy and messy. A huge contributor to litter at the seaside.

Fish live in the sea.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fish live in the sea.
    And chips are deadly :eek:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06/08/chips_acrylamide_warning/
  • Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should be banned in public parks and streets as well.
    Forum Member
    I don't like sitting near smelly people on buses.....
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Do people only tread in the stuff then, they don't accidentally get it on their fingers or in their eyes?
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB , better that than lifting out a human turd, I kid you not :o

Sorry, but I have to ask: how did you know it was human, rather than left by a large dog?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    floozie_21 wrote: »
    BBQ's and dogs are also banned on my local beach...

Where's that? I'll cross it off my list of potential holiday destinations!

We stopped going to the South Hams area of Devon because they banned dogs from most of the beaches. They're not allowed in most of the pubs round there, either, and we're not leaving her at home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with you! Everybody choose one thing that should be confined to the person's home who does it.

I choose people who tut at me when I'm smoking in a smoking area. They should be confined to their homes.

Lol. And the ones who do that pretend "ahem, ahem" cough when they walk through a bunch of people smoking outside as they go in the pub.

Maybe we should have a blanket ban on sanctimonious twattery.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A proposed ban to discourage kids from taking up the habit? So perhaps they can show me the research which says that children have taken up smoking because of smokers on beaches. Because as far as I'm aware most kids start smoking because their friends smoke or their parents / relatives do.

If it's for public health reasons (e.g. second hand smoke) then fine, or if it's a litter problem then that's ok too.
    Forum Member
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    A proposed ban to discourage kids from taking up the habit? So perhaps they can show me the research which says that children have taken up smoking because of smokers on beaches. Because as far as I'm aware most kids start smoking because their friends smoke or their parents / relatives do.

If it's for public health reasons (e.g. second hand smoke) then fine, or if it's a litter problem then that's ok too.

In this area, people take their dogs for a walk, on the beach, early in the morning when nobody is about. If they decide to light a cigarette and nobody is about, how is this "ban" to be enforced?
    Forum Member
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Lol. And the ones who do that pretend "ahem, ahem" cough when they walk through a bunch of people smoking outside as they go in the pub.

Maybe we should have a blanket ban on sanctimonious twattery.

No. They should just be shot
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    In this area, people take their dogs for a walk, on the beach, early in the morning when nobody is about. If they decide to light a cigarette and nobody is about, how is this "ban" to be enforced?

It won't be, of course. Too expensive to employ an army of beach patrols. They'll simply stick up a load of No Smoking signs and hope that people will comply.