Options

double booked works chistmas do with pop concert- which one do I go to?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
Forum Member
Hi all,
My husband got us 2 tickets for Lady Gaga at the O2, who I absolutely love, and I thought it was a day later than it is. When I asked him to look at the tickets last night, I realized that the concert falls on the same day as my work Christmas do! The work Xmas do is at my boss's house, only 10 of us- am wondering if, with three weeks notice, I can explain about my mistake over the concert (tickets cost £60 each)and pull out without causing offence, or if we should just try to sell the tickets or what to do?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you've already agreed to the Bosses dinner , I think you should go to it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to the concert, it's not worth wasting the money and your boss should understand
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd go to the concert. What you do in your own free time is your business - it's nice that the boss has invited the group of you to his/her home, but that doesn't mean you are more obligated to go than you would be if it was at a restaurant. You could end up going to the do and having a rotten time anyway, but you've been looking forward to the concert and who knows when you'd get to see her again?

If you let your boss know now that you can't make it because of the concert that you didn't realise was on the same date, that's plenty of notice. I bet you won't be the only one to drop out anyway - someone could be sick, have problems with childcare etc. When you invite a group of people anywhere, that's the risk you take, so don't worry about it. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to the concert and enjoy yourself :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go to the concert without a doubt. You go to work to be able to afford to go out and have a life.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Explain now, extend your apologies, maybe offer to take the boss out for an Xmas lunch (depending on how well you get on?) sorted!
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go to the concert, let you boss know as early as possible. As rainbowgirl suggested, offer to take boss to lunch.
  • Options
    deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Explain now, extend your apologies, maybe offer to take the boss out for an Xmas lunch (depending on how well you get on?) sorted!

Sounds like a plan.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    would your boss mind if you pulled out.?

Lady GaGa is one night. You don't want a unhappy boss for ever.
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would your boss mind if you pulled out.?

Lady GaGa is one night. You don't want a unhappy boss for ever.

Exactly (almost)

Lady Gaga is ONE night - that you might not get another chance to see!

I dont even like her but her shows are amazing - there is no contest - you can go out on works do anytime! they're always happening - someone's birthday or leaving etc...

With 3 weeks notice your boss has nothing to complain about and will surely understand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lozenger wrote: »
    Exactly (almost)

Lady Gaga is ONE night - that you might not get another chance to see!

I dont even like her but her shows are amazing - there is no contest - you can go out on works do anytime! they're always happening - someone's birthday or leaving etc...

With 3 weeks notice your boss has nothing to complain about and will surely understand.

completely wrong. Lady GaGa is one night's escapist entertainment. Your job and your boss are for life.

if there is the slightest risk that rejecting your boss over a pop concert will damage your working life, then it isn't worth it. 10 people at the bosses house isn't the same as a big works do, where you wouldn't be missed - by any stretch. Your absence will stand out.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does your boss already know about the concert? If not, tell him/her your husband has bought you the concert tickets as a surprise christmas present, which unfortunately means you can't make the date they have planned for the works dinner.

A job isnt for life, a marriage (hopefully) is. I know which one would get my priority :p
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your job and your boss are for life.
    LOL. What is this, the 1890s? :D

I vote concert. You're cancelling for a decent reason. He'll understand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    LOL. What is this, the 1890s? :D

All I am saying is that, having accepted the bosses invitation, to now turn it down may cause offence. It may not, of course.

But if you are happy at work, you don't want to offend your employer.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All I am saying is that, having accepted the bosses invitation, to now turn it down may cause offence. It may not, of course.

But if you are happy at work, you don't want to offend your employer.

It is a genuine mistake. If the boss would be offended to the extent that one of their employees felt obligated to waste £120 and the one chance to see a performance they would really enjoy, then I find that incredibly unforgiving and even more offensive.

And seriously, what about the husbands say in all this? Or don't you have a position on that, despite it being his £120 that will go to waste?

OP. I know your apology will be sincere, I am sure your boss will too. Take in a bottle of his favourite tipple, a box of chocolates for her/his wife and a card apologising for having to decline on that specific date.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a genuine mistake. If the boss would be offended to the extent that one of their employees felt obligated to waste £120 and the one chance to see a performance they would really enjoy, then I find that incredibly unforgiving and even more offensive.

And seriously, what about the husbands say in all this? Or don't you have a position on that, despite it being his £120 that will go to waste?

OP. I know your apology will be sincere, I am sure your boss will too. Take in a bottle of his favourite tipple, a box of chocolates for her/his wife and a card apologising for having to decline on that specific date.

I think we have to hear back from the OP, but if the boss made this arrangement weeks ago, I think it would be rude not to go. There are 8 other people who the OP might be letting down, if they are a close knit group.

But they can always sell the tickets so they're not going to waste.
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    Go to the dinner! why on earth would you want to see lady gaga :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    am still not sure what do do- might speak to my colleagues before I speak to the boss, to see what they all think. There would be about 14 people there in total, I underestimated with 8!
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i would say the opposite, and its a bit cheap of your boss to have the xmas do at his house rather than take you lot out for dinner, go to the concert
  • Options
    Forum Member
    have thought of another option- selling the tickets on ebay whilst trying to get tickets for another night on ebay!
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meljduk wrote: »
    have thought of another option- selling the tickets on ebay whilst trying to get tickets for another night on ebay!

Sounds far too much like hard work to be honest :eek:

Unless you want to go to your bosses do that much?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd rather go to work :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Go to the concert!

Explain the mix-up and apologise. I'm sure they will be fine with it. It isn't like you are cancelling last minute.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Go to the concert and have a good time :D It's a one off - enjoy while you can!