Wii U stock shortages ahoy!

Comments

• Jamesollier18Jamesollier18 Posts: 1,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HMv have just put this note up:

Pre-order update! We have been informed by Nintendo that delivery of the wii u consoles will be between 30th November and 15th December Customers that ordered the White or Zombie U packages will receive their orders between 30th of November and 15th of December. Your pre-orders are safe and we will keep you informed of the stock situation with Nintendo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HMV got this up about the nintendoland bundle:

Pre-order update! We have been informed by Nintendo that delivery of the wii u consoles will be between 30th November and 15th December All customers that pre-ordered the Nintendo Land console before Friday the 2nd of November will receive their order on the 30th of November. Customers that ordered Nintendo Land after the 2nd of November will receive their orders between 30th of November and 15th of December.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not surprised at this, considering almost every online retailer was still allowing people to pre-order them. Amazon have being saying this for 2 weeks or so now that consoles ordered after a certain date wont be delivered on release day.

I am assuming the same is gonna apply at places like game who still are allowing people to pre-order. I wonder about people who have pre-ordered in the shops.
    My friend pre-ordered one in a game shop on Monday and they told her its been allocated to her game reward card and will get it on 30th but it looks like thats not gonna happen. There is gonna be a lot of very angry people. Once again another nintendo new console failure.

EDIT. Game website are saying pre-orders placed now are guarenteed for lauch date, they also have a message on their home page saying its the last chance to pre-order for lauch day, so assume they must know the are running low of pre-order stock. I would assume nintendo have allocated game far more stock then amazon, HMV and the like as they are a dedicated game store.

Sainsburys have now stopped taken pre-orders online, not sure if that is due to the nintendo's stock release comments or if they have just run out of stock but tescos are still saying they have them for release day, but maybe nintenod have not gotten around to telling tescos yet.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/wii-u-32gb-premium-pack-with-nintendo-land-game-black/597-7955.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=597-7955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it could also be that Game prices are a bit more more and taken a extra week or so to sell them as they are at the high end £349.99 for zombi and £309.99 for prem where as most places are under those totals by £20 and £10
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    What's Special about them and why are they Limited Edition?

You'll get stuff with them like art books, extra levels sometimes statues etc.

One of the modern warfares last year came with a radio controlled drone and cost about £160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it could also be that Game prices are a bit more more and taken a extra week or so to sell them as they are at the high end £349.99 for zombi and £309.99 for prem where as most places are under those totals by £20 and £10

Could be but would expect game to get more stock anyway then other retailers.My friend went down there this morning after I told her about this and the manger confimed that her order will be guareented on release day and game will not under any circumstances take a pre-order for stock that has not been confirmed from nintendo. They told my friend they have a bank of pre-order stock that all stores access and once that runs out thats it so its not store dependant. He did confirm that they have ben advised that pre-order stock is expected to run out on the black console with nintendoland this coming week.

I hope HMV have emailed people who placed orders after the fifth telling them they wont get them on release date, they will have a lot of angry customers otherwise. Thats the main reason my friend paid a tenner more and pre-ordered from game as she did not trust ordering online and not getting it for reelase day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazon still have the zombi pack for release day delivery
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Well so its out in the states and from what I've seen some saying there's an initial system update that can take over an hour to download and install :eek:
    So depending on your download speed, be prefered for a little wait before your first play.
    Here's some coments and a few screenshots showing setup http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/feature_wii_u_launch_day_live#comments
    Forum Member
    The Wii U update is required to download if you plan to use any of the online features of the console including the eShop, Miiverse and even Wii backwards compatibility. According to one of the editors at IGN, it took him approximately 70 minutes to download the update on a 25 MB down internet connection. Nintendo smartly programmed the console to pickup the download where it left off if the connection is interrupted for any reason.
    Source
    Wowzers 70mins to download on a 25MB connection.
    Some don't even have half of that, so god knows how long they will have to wait.
    Thank goodness I've got BT Infinity.
    Forum Member
    Just to add to what I posted above, apparently the update file is 5GB.
    Forum Member
    Amazon still have the zombi pack for release day delivery

They don't though, it clearly states sign up to be notified when this item becomes available - and it's said that for a good couple of weeks now, maybe longer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-32GB-ZombiU-Premium-Pack/dp/B00844QCQK/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1353256737&sr=1-1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    They don't though, it clearly states sign up to be notified when this item becomes available - and it's said that for a good couple of weeks now, maybe longer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-32GB-ZombiU-Premium-Pack/dp/B00844QCQK/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1353256737&sr=1-1

I have it in my basket and it keeps going in stock and out of stock on a daily basis.

If you want to grab one get it in your basket and keep checking the basket.

And at this moment in time at 19:34 its available for pre-order.

Nintendo Wii U 32GB ZombiU Premium Pack - Black (Nintendo Wii U)
    by Nintendo

Platform: Nintendo Wii U
    Like 1353267289 false 1 82 82 81 (82)
    Price: £329.99 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions
    Deal Price:
    Special Offers Available
    Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.

o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o

This item will be released on November 30, 2012.
    Pre-order now.
    Dispatched from and sold by Amazon.co.uk. Gift-wrap available.

Want to receive this the day it comes out?
    Select First Class at checkout. Learn more
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to add to what I posted above, apparently the update file is 5GB.

I find it hard to believe people are gonna have to download a 5GB file prior to using the unit, not in the UK anyway.
    Forum Member
    It won't let you add it to your basket now though but if that's how your doing it, fair enough.
    Forum Member
    I find it hard to believe people are gonna have to download a 5GB file prior to using the unit, not in the UK anyway.
    Before hooking up the system and getting ready to play it, Wii U owners will need to download a quite massive update before being able to enjoy the system's full functionality. Nintendo had previously announced that Nintendo Network will not ship with the launch systems. Instead, the Nintendo Network will be added to the system via this initial firmware update.
    In this regards, Nintendo has now released a 5GB firmware update that unlocks online play, and enables Wii U users to play Wii games and access Wii game data. Users will not be able to access Nintendo's Miiverse or a few other features until they complete the firmware download. Meanwhile, the lack of a background download functionality means that users simply have to allow the system to fully complete the update before being able to resume any other function.
    What makes you think the UK will be any different?
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nobody should have a pop at this, an new generation has begun

sooooo excited
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What makes you think the UK will be any different?

But its a download that dont have to be done to enjoy the console out of the box so its not a major issue, I was of the opinion you needed to dowload this before being able to use the console.

5GB is gonna tak many people many, many hours to download, its not only their download speeds but the speeds that nintendo allow it to be downloaded.
    Pretty much a fail as many people are on limiits and 5GB could be half a months usage.
    They should have a structured download where certain elements can be downloaded as required, not expecting everyone to download a 5GB file in one go, but thats nintendo for you, totally out of touch with the average guy on the street
    Forum Member
    But its a download that dont have to be done to enjoy the console out of the box so its not a major issue, I was of the opinion you needed to dowload this before being able to use the console.
    That is true enough, but for the vast majority the first thing they will do is set up the console and once they've entered their WiFi settings they will be asked to do a system update which I'm sure most will proceed with without even thinking about it.
    Unless you visit forums or hear about it from friends then chances are you won't even know the update is 5GB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is true enough, but for the vast majority the first thing they will do is set up the console and once they've entered their WiFi settings they will be asked to do a system update which I'm sure most will proceed with without even thinking about it.
    Unless you visit forums or hear about it from friends then chances are you won't even know the update is 5GB.

And if what is being said in that other thread is true the system turns off after 90 minutes resulting in locked consoles or something like that if your doing the update. Most people will end up taking a lot longer then 90 minutes to download 5GB so just how many will end up with issues whilst doing this update.

Nintenod UK need to get some flyer out to retailers that can be included with the console warning people of this download, how big it is and when its necessary to do it.
    Forum Member
    I did notice Amazon was allowing me to add it to my basket this morning, maybe people are cancelling / ordering all the time when they realise they can or cant afford it I guess.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if what is being said in that other thread is true the system turns off after 90 minutes resulting in locked consoles or something like that if your doing the update. Most people will end up taking a lot longer then 90 minutes to download 5GB so just how many will end up with issues whilst doing this update.
    In theory, anyone who has a broadband connection which is less than 7.58Mbps should avoid the update. And that is a perfect connection, most of the time, people with 10-20Mbps could well drop below that danger speed, and considering that the average speed in the UK is a mere 9Mbps according to Ofcom, there could well be a lot of unhappy customers soon.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    I did notice Amazon was allowing me to add it to my basket this morning, maybe people are cancelling / ordering all the time when they realise they can or cant afford it I guess.

Or maybe they are cancelling after reading the ZombieU reviews. That was the deciding game for me. Needless to say, no WiiU on my shopping list right now, which is a shame. I don't think I've missed out on a major console launch since 1995.
    Forum Member
    Heres what to expect with this Initial start up video. You can bypass the update.
    http://youtu.be/7TvDho4vsFc
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or maybe they are cancelling after reading the ZombieU reviews. That was the deciding game for me. Needless to say, no WiiU on my shopping list right now, which is a shame. I don't think I've missed out on a major console launch since 1995.

http://www.edge-online.com/review/zombiu-review/2/

its not a bad score for a Ubisoft launch title, a bit of xmas day fun

what are people expecting?????
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.edge-online.com/review/zombiu-review/2/

its not a bad score for a Ubisoft launch title, a bit of xmas day fun

what are people expecting?????

"Not a bad score......" You're joking right? Hardly a killer app, is it? Especially when I've seen it get a 6 and even a 4 elsewhere.

"What are people expecting????? Super Mario 64, Halo, Ridge Racer, Virtua Fighter, Super Mario World....... Genre defining titles that kicked off console launches. THAT'S what this gamer is expecting.