Never Nude wrote: »
    Because DS needs a thread for otters.

Legend :D

Long live otters :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Otters are fun creatures to watch and they are highly intelligent. Most of us don’t know much about them so here are some facts to help you educate yourself about them. It can be fun to test out your knowledge as you go.

Otters consume mainly fish but many people think that they eat plants and berries. They are definitely meat eaters.

Male Otters are called meowters, females are queens, and the offspring are pups.

The Sea Otter is the only species that doesn’t have a muscle in the tail. The others use it as a powerful weapon and to navigate their movements in the water.

Otters spend the majority of their time on land but many people assume that they spend it in the water. The exception is the Sea Otter which does spend almost all of its time in the water.

There are 13 different species of Otters found in the world. There is evidence that they have been around for more than 30 million years. One known species, the Maxwell Otter has been extinct so there used to be 14 different species out there.

Antarctica and Australia are the only two places in the world where they aren’t found. While they tend to live in the cooler waters, they have been known to reside where the water is warmer and the land is sandy.

Otters are very closely related to badgers, ferrets and mink. They aren’t related to the beaver but they are often mistaken for them. They are also distant cousins of the skunk.

They have the ability to create and use tools just like beavers, monkeys, and apes.

The average life span for an Otter is 12 years. That can double though with one in captivity.

Otters are the smallest of all marine mammals in the world.

Otters can have a tail that is a foot long. It helps to protect them as well as to help them steer through the water. Generally the tail will make up about 40% of the body.

An Otter can remain under water for up to 4 minutes. They can also dive up to 250 feet in search of food.

Otters love to sunbath during the day and they are very active at night.

Humans are the main predator of Otters due to hunting for their pelts.

Sea Otters are the only species that have more than one pup at a time. They can have up to four but two is the most common number.

Otters are believed to be one of the most intelligent creatures in the world.

They are they only known marine animals that don’t have blubber. They have their fur instead to keep them warm.

They have the thickest fur of all animals with at least 250,000 hairs per square inch. Some species have up to 1 million hairs per square inch.

It can be hard to tell the pups from the mothers because the pups can be almost as long a their mothers at birth. Those that don’t know the males and females stay separated often assume this is a couple rather than a mother and a pup.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about Beavers?

beavers can f*ck off :sleep:
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    otterzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Too cute! :)

Yay for otters. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've just watched that entire clip. Otters are amazing. Why can't we get them to sort out the koala problem?
  • Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As wet as an otters pocket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NQqOiGTUWw

(this is actually the greatest thing I have seen in my life :o)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Otters are in every second nature programme on the telly. They are media **** and I am convinced they have equity cards or are in some other union. Cute and furry they may be but beware their true intention - world media domination !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member

See there is a perfect example, they are trying to take over the Meerkats role now. No animal actors are safe !!!!
  • Options
    MaybelleMaybelle Posts: 2,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite animal video ever - near the end is just too cute for words:):)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epUk3T2Kfno
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »

I would so buy a house if there were visible otters. I cannot start the day unless I have seen some otters, ideally through a kitchen window.
  • Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer beavers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Otters are fun creatures to watch and they are highly intelligent. Most of us don’t know much about them so here are some facts to help you educate yourself about them. It can be fun to test out your knowledge as you go.

They have the ability to create and use tools just like beavers, monkeys, and apes.

Otters love to sunbath during the day and they are very active at night.

BIB Be afraid. And as for the last bit - already in training for movie star status. Or a lead role in TOWIE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybelle wrote: »
    My favourite animal video ever - near the end is just too cute for words:):)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epUk3T2Kfno

I just died of cute. Officially.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sammy60 wrote: »
    BIB Be afraid. And as for the last bit - already in training for movie star status. Or a lead role in TOWIE.

One day otters will take over the world. In your face Koalas :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One day otters will take over the world. In your face Koalas :cool:

From one group of tyrants to another. We're still doomed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    From one group of tyrants to another. We're still doomed!

I wonder if otters were on the ark,since they are both water and land dwelling animals. :confused:
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just been watching Stewart Lee.

Go me, wow...