Options

4 000 000 migrants in the past decade

RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
Forum Member
✭✭✭
No wonder the NHS is on it knees .The Government needs to do a bit of rational thinking....

Comments

• Options
    TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    No wonder the NHS is on it knees .The Government needs to do a bit of rational thinking....

You do realise that these are legal migrants who most likely came to work (possibly a large proportion for the NHS) and therefore pay tax in your country. Without migration the NHS would certainly be on it's knees.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TYCO wrote: »
    You do realise that these are legal migrants who most likely came to work (possibly a large proportion for the NHS) and therefore pay tax in your country. Without migration the NHS would certainly be on it's knees.

Legal migrants or not, the infrastructure of any country can only support so many people and if that figure is true, that's quite astonishing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well you're lucky I'm not prime minister because the first thing i'd do is expel 4,000,000 long-term benefit scrounging families.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    if that's the official figure then I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually double that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eve_Dyer wrote: »
    Legal migrants or not, the infrastructure of any country can only support so many people and if that figure is true, that's quite astonishing.

Indeed - 4 million is about a 7% increase in population .Labour 's open door free-for-all policy has left hospitals, schools, housing ... ...in a hell of a mess.
  • Options
    monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

public sector workers cost money, where do you think their wages come from?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you're lucky I'm not prime minister because the first thing i'd do is expel 4,000,000 long-term benefit scrounging families.

And I'd help you do it. If that was your attempt at a dig, try again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed - 4 million is about a 7% increase in population .Labour 's open door free-for-all policy has hospitals,schools,housing ...in a hell of a mess.

In the interests of fairness, I think they did acknowledge that it all went pear-shaped what bothers me is that no restrictions are placed on any future migration to the UK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    And how many left in that time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the interests of fairness, I think they did acknowledge that it all went pear-shaped what bothers me is that no restrictions are placed on any future migration to the UK.

Yes ,they did admit liability .Besides even under the Tories there is no real immigration policy : this is exacerbated by a fairly toothless UK Border Agency .
  • Options
    Forum Member

Because we NEED migration. Let'e be honest, you wouldn't give a crap if they were all white and spoke english without an accent. Your issue is that they look and sound different. Nobody complains about the number of Australian or Irish bartenders and cinema ushers, but the moment an Indian doctor tries to help them suddenly there are too many immigrants.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .::.JN.::. wrote: »

That kind of proves that the policy was flawed doesn't it?

A country lets it's brightest and it's best leave and replaces them with the unqualified who can't make a decent living in their country of birth.

How many of those who leave are going to work in entry level, low paid jobs that don't need any qualifications?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .::.JN.::. wrote: »

A fair few I would imagine as Britain's economy took a nosedive. It isn't about people who move to Britain to work for a while and then leave if they choose to, it's about the density of population and being able to provide for everyone:

'The UK comes in at a slightly less respectable 17th. Its self-sufficiency rating is 25.8 per cent, meaning that Britain could only support a quarter of its population -- about 15 million -- if it had to rely on its own resources'

The open door policy should be stopped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because we NEED migration.

I've never said that Britain doesn't need immigrants or that it hasn't benefited from it - it's the sheer numbers I find worrying.
    Let'e be honest, you wouldn't give a crap if they were all white and spoke english without an accent. Your issue is that they look and sound different.

Do you see those people as being different then?
    Nobody complains about the number of Australian or Irish bartenders and cinema ushers,

Yeah, I have
    but the moment an Indian doctor tries to help them suddenly there are too many immigrants.

So given your childish outburst full of assumptions about someone you've never met and know nothing about, care to let me know how you 'know' all that applies to me? Let's start with the nationality of my last husband ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A country lets it's brightest and it's best leave and replaces them with the unqualified who can't make a decent living in their country of birth.

Do you read what you write before you post it?

How come the people leaving Britain are "the brightest and the best" yet those leaving other countries are not?

Thank you for the compliment though, as I, as you put it am one of those bright and best people who decided to leave Britain.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because we NEED migration. Let'e be honest, you wouldn't give a crap if they were all white and spoke english without an accent. Your issue is that they look and sound different. Nobody complains about the number of Australian or Irish bartenders and cinema ushers, but the moment an Indian doctor tries to help them suddenly there are too many immigrants.

I think you are wrong. I think if that 4 million were white and spoke English, there would have been a far more honest debate about the levels of immigration that this country wants.

Seems to me, immigration hit the headlines far, far more when the Poles ect. came in vast numbers, because those who wanted the whole debate to be silenced couldn't use the race card.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So given your childish outburst full of assumptions about someone you've never met and know nothing about, care to let me know how you 'know' all that applies to me? Let's start with the nationality of my last husband ...

I'm making an assumption based on the evidence you've displayed previously in the thread.

Ah.. the old "I'm not racist some of my friends are coloured" card.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes ,they did admit liability .Besides even under the Tories there is no real immigration policy : this is exacerbated by a fairly toothless UK Border Agency .

That's the strange thing... the usual Tory 'land of hope and glory' flag waving brigade would have usually stamped out any immigration as quick as a flash, but they haven't. What is in it for them?

Heaven help us when half of Bulgaria and Romania is camping at Calais waiting to come here :(
    Labour got the Polish estimates wrong, the Tories are just doing nothing
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So this is "migrants" not "immigrants" or "asylum seekers", but migrants that are allowed to come here, legally, to work.

Well the only people to blame are the EU and the British Government. Better still, look at the mirror and blame yourselves for voting for the British Establishment and supporting Capitalism that encourages immigration for their own ends.

Don't like immigration then vote for an extreme party at the next election, but don't be surprised if the same policies continue though, and why won't nothing change? because Capitalism depends on immigration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    That's the strange thing... the usual Tory 'land of hope and glory' flag waving brigade would have usually stamped out any immigration as quick as a flash, but they haven't. What is in it for them?

Heaven help us when half of Bulgaria and Romania is camping at Calais waiting to come here :(

Agreed.

And I believe the answer to your question is: cheap labour. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm making an assumption based on the evidence you've displayed previously in the thread.

Now you're not being truthful are you - which posts of mine have you gleaned this information from then ....
    Ah.. the old "I'm not racist some of my friends are coloured" card.

Nope, I have no current friends who are black, yellow, brown or green with purple stripes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

Yes badly wrong ,whereas the wily French and Germans put a cap on numbers in anticipation of such an event.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How come the people leaving Britain are "the brightest and the best" yet those leaving other countries are not?

Maybe because the people here are leaving for different reasons than those who are coming? The top destinations for British emigrants are Australia, America,France,Spain and Canada.

I'm pretty sure Australia, America and Canada have strict requirements to emigrate to.

A large portion of the people coming here work in things like retail and customer service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    So this is "migrants" not "immigrants" or "asylum seekers", but migrants that are allowed to come here, legally, to work.

Well the only people to blame are the EU and the British Government. Better still, look at the mirror and blame yourselves for voting for the British Establishment and supporting Capitalism that encourages immigration for their own ends.

Don't like immigration then vote for an extreme party at the next election, but don't be surprised if the same policies continue though, and why won't nothing change? because Capitalism depends on immigration.

As much as I would like to do away with capitalism (once I've thought of a better method), it isn't about stopping all migrants - given some of our lazy lot, we'd be in trouble without migrants. There is nothing to stop the UK from limiting the number who move there and there is nothing to stop them placing a limit on unskilled labour moving in that our unemployed people should be 'encouraged' to carry out those jobs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I would like to do away with capitalism (once I've thought of a better method), it isn't about stopping all migrants - given some of our lazy lot, we'd be in trouble without migrants. There is nothing to stop the UK from limiting the number who move there and there is nothing to stop them placing a limit on unskilled labour moving in that our unemployed people should be 'encouraged' to carry out those jobs.

I agree there should be a limit. The problem is how do you encourage people to do jobs they don't want to do? you could cut their benefits but then they will no doubt just turn to crime. So you remedy one problem but create another.