Options

Kids on work experience

Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
Forum Member
Just wondering if you find them a bit of a nuisance or if you enjoy them coming in to your workplace?
Where I work it's always a case of 'pass the parcel'. Oh we're a bit busy down here at the moment/can't think of anything appropriate to give her to do etc etc. Usually the person who can't think on their feet and come up with a reason sharpish gets landed with them. :D

Are we just horrible in my workplace or is this the general attitude everywhere?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you're horrible :mad: I believe the children are our future...
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    No. Your horrible. Most of us have to do work experience and well... why make it harder?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kids on work experience, I assume you mean teenagers aged 16-17? Not really kids then are they?

No they wouldn't annoy me.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I'm reassured by this thread. My daughter will be doing some very soon. I've had a work experience lad once, it was a laugh. He was willing and keen to please, even if he wasn't over much real use.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    No. Your horrible. Kids on work experience can be great, but it sometimes can be a struggle finding them something to do
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think employers might reasonably expect to be asked to provide work experience. Would it really be so difficult for them to plan that experience before they arrive and make it kind of worthwhile?
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member

Teach them well and let them lead the way?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. We're obviously not nice people. In our defence we do make them feel very welcome when they arrive; they are taken around and introduced to everyone and, because someone very well known works here we always make sure they have their photograph taken with that person. (Plus we do give them work to do, it's just always a hassle finding something suitable, non-confidential and that doesn't require a lot of training in when they're only going to be here for a couple of weeks)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teach them well and let them lead the way?

Dunno, I'd be a bit miffed if I taught them well then they were promoted above me...stuff it, don't even acknowledge them OP, they're after your job!
  • Options
    James RalstonJames Ralston Posts: 242
    Forum Member

...teach them well and let them lead the way ? :confused:
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately most places I've worked use the work experience kids as general dogbodies to do the most mundane jobs that we haven't bothered to do for years!

Although we did have one we actually had to sack as he spent most of the week with his feet on the desks taking naps, he was asked to leave after just the second day!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear. We're obviously not nice people. In our defence we do make them feel very welcome when they arrive; they are taken around and introduced to everyone and, because someone very well known works here we always make sure they have their photograph taken with that person. (Plus we do give them work to do, it's just always a hassle finding something suitable, non-confidential and that doesn't require a lot of training in when they're only going to be here for a couple of weeks)

Don't back track now, we know you are responsible for crimes against helpers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wench wrote: »
    Unfortunately most places I've worked use the work experience kids as general dogbodies to do the most mundane jobs that we haven't bothered to do for years!

Unfortunately, the more interesting work often requires a long training in period, needs certain skills or involves handling confidential information. Also, I remember one place I worked where the schoolgirl on work experience was brought to all sorts of official functions and given great stuff to do and some of the permanent admin. staff, who never got near stuff like that, were understandably a bit resentful.
    It can be hard to get it right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't back track now, we know you are responsible for crimes against helpers.

Okay, I admit it. I usually lock them in the stationary cupboard with ten years worth of filing :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, I admit it. I usually lock them in the stationary cupboard with ten years worth of filing :D

I think you can cover your back with the human rights issues if you put a bucket of paper clips in for them to count, as this would add variety.
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    i done my work experiance in HMV, think all i did for the week was put security tags on cds and sit around playing Playstation games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think you can cover your back with the human rights issues if you put a bucket of paper clips in for them to count, as this would add variety.

Variety??? They'll be wanting payment next. :eek:
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved my work experience. I hated school with a passion but I can remember feeling really grown up going to "work" everyday for a fortnight :D
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think employers might reasonably expect to be asked to provide work experience. Would it really be so difficult for them to plan that experience before they arrive and make it kind of worthwhile?

That's what I was thinking - surely it would be better to have a programme in place, either focusing on one thing, or moving around to see the various jobs.

Work experience is part of the curriculum, so is compulsory.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I hated my work experience. I wanted to go to my dads work (he had cleared it with his boss and they had some good stuff prepared for me) but the school wouldnt allow it. We had to find our own work experience but because i lived quite far away they wouldnt let me go to any of my other choices as they only wanted people close to the school. This meant that my grandparents had to drive me in and out every day.

Where my dad works they make stuff from designs which are computer generated in the office. I was interested in graphic design so they had said i could work in the office learning office skills and have a go at the computer design which i really wanted to. The school ended up shoving me in a shop where it was clear they didnt want anyone. The shop only had about 5 customers a day so was very quiet. Most of the time i sat around doing nothing or just making tea and coffee. One day they sent me to another one of their shops (which was against the school rules) where i had to do a lot of heavy lifting (which they already knew i couldnt because i was still in physiotherapy at the time) and told me off when i refused to do it.

At the end i felt like i had wasted two weeks. I would rather have had two extra weeks study leave. I learnt nothing except that id never want to work in that sort of environment ever again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're horrible, bad work experience can remain with a person, I should know, one nasty bitch decided to set me a pointless time consuming task for a bit of a laugh when I was on one work experience assignment. Being older and wiser, I wish I'd have said something there and then rather than mentioning it in my "thank you" letter. Her behaviour was vile and she should be ashamed of herself. However I'm glad my career path has far exceeded hers in its success.

Work experience should encourage young people to make their career as satisfying and fulfilling as possible and to not be afraid of a hard days work and its rewards. If they feel unwanted and excess to requirements, that's hardly going to fill them with confidence and motivation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry for the double post, but this is practically what I was asked to do...

:(:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any regrets asking, Swanandduck2? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...teach them well and let them lead the way ? :confused:

Second verse of a song.

I believe the children are our future Teach them well and let them lead the way.

Whitney Houston, Greatest Love of All.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering if you find them a bit of a nuisance or if you enjoy them coming in to your workplace?
    Where I work it's always a case of 'pass the parcel'. Oh we're a bit busy down here at the moment/can't think of anything appropriate to give her to do etc etc. Usually the person who can't think on their feet and come up with a reason sharpish gets landed with them. :D

Are we just horrible in my workplace or is this the general attitude everywhere?

Just sounds like your workplace doesn't plan appropriately when it comes to work experience. They should have a set agenda for when they come in.