When will GOLD get a revamp?

jazzfunksterjazzfunkster Posts: 267
Forum Member
GOLD's current look revamped back in 2008, when it was stupidly rebranded G.O.L.D. 5 years ago, desperately needs updating with a new ident and programme schedule.

GOLD's current batch of idents are awful and appears to be designed by a 5 year old, the schedule is tired and requires attention. They need to rest Only Fools and Horses and drop Last of the Summer Wine, just when was it ever funny!:confused:

Comments

• dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree the idents and logo needs changing for sure.

They are bringing in some newer programmes but are still relying too much on Only Fools, Last of the Summer Wine etc. Why arent they showing Dads Army or Are you Being Served?
  • Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    I agree the idents and logo needs changing for sure.

They are bringing in some newer programmes but are still relying too much on Only Fools, Last of the Summer Wine etc. Why arent they showing Dads Army or Are you Being Served?

Could be something to do with the writers not wanting it to be shown away from the beeb? I think the likely lads has a similar issue where it can only be shown so many times a year hence why its not on GOLD much
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just rolls out the same comedy shows every week. Don't know why they don't air some more programmes.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GOLD's current look revamped back in 2008, when it was stupidly rebranded G.O.L.D. 5 years ago, desperately needs updating with a new ident and programme schedule.

GOLD's current batch of idents are awful and appears to be designed by a 5 year old, the schedule is tired and requires attention. They need to rest Only Fools and Horses and drop Last of the Summer Wine, just when was it ever funny!:confused:

They have Mrs Brown, Miranda, Come Fly With Me, Jo Brand's Great Wall Of Comedy, The Bleak Old Shop Of Stuff, Getting On, Early Doors.

How many new to GOLD shows do you want on an essentially oldies tv channel :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member

Why does it need a revamp, do the idents ruin your viewing?
  • JVDJVD Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new UKTV Drama will be abit like the old UKTV Gold. :)
  • aquasplash3aquasplash3 Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should look into showing Birds of a Feather repeats again. There is renewed interest in this sitcom following the successful stage show and news of the new series coming to ITV next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they should look into showing Birds of a Feather repeats again. There is renewed interest in this sitcom following the successful stage show and news of the new series coming to ITV next year.

UK Drama is showing Birds Of A Feather.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Due to something going on at GOLD the signal on Virgin is breaking up all the time have to watch a show on +1 anyone else getting this on Sky or Virgin?
  • jazzfunksterjazzfunkster Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Jack1 wrote: »
    Why does it need a revamp, do the idents ruin your viewing?
    No the idents don't ruin my viewing, the boring repetitive schedule does, you have to admit the idents are pretty dire!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Why arent they showing Dads Army or Are you Being Served?

David Croft and Jimmy Perry stated that they don't want their shows aired on digital channels because they thought people would grow tired of them and that they'd lose their quality. In fairness, many shows on Gold were once gems before being repeated so often, they become overly-commonplace.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Get Some In, The Rag Trade, The Lovers, Dear John, Brass, Shelley, Boon, Father Dear Father, In Sickness and Health, Selwyn Froggitt, The Gaffer, Thriller, Hammer House of Mystery of Suspense, London's Burning, Worzel Gummidge, Band of Gold...

Just a handful of shows GOLD could show to break the monotony of Only Fools and Last of the Summer Wine.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    About time Gold HD came launched.
  • Zeropoint1Zeropoint1 Posts: 10,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bassebuwa wrote: »
    David Croft and Jimmy Perry stated that they don't want their shows aired on digital channels because they thought people would grow tired of them and that they'd lose their quality. In fairness, many shows on Gold were once gems before being repeated so often, they become overly-commonplace.

Which is fair enough, and anybody who wants to watch some of those shows only needs to search a site that rhymes with moo boob and many episodes are there in full or split over several parts for free!
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    About time Gold HD came launched.
    As things stand, there is practivally no programmes shown on Gold that were made in HD (apart from maybe the later episodes of LOTSW). In order for them to launch a HD version, someone's gonna have to remaster all those old sitcoms, now who do you think is gonna pay to do all that?
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know they used to show are you being served, it used to be around 11pm, this is probably going back 10 years or so though.
  • WhiteShadeWhiteShade Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    bassebuwa wrote: »

I'm sure when I was younger, early 00's we sat down very often to watch Being Served' on UK Gold?
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    L_Roberts wrote: »
    Get Some In, The Rag Trade, The Lovers, Dear John, Brass, Shelley, Boon, Father Dear Father, In Sickness and Health, Selwyn Froggitt, The Gaffer, Thriller, Hammer House of Mystery of Suspense, London's Burning, Worzel Gummidge, Band of Gold...

Just a handful of shows GOLD could show to break the monotony of Only Fools and Last of the Summer Wine.
    Isn't Gold a comedy channel these days?
  • djdean0djdean0 Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    I would agree that the current ident and logo for the channel is not that appealing.

But for me that's not the problem with the channel.
    It's just not the classic tv format channel it used to be.

And I'm sure that is what we are all are really missing these days.

I'm sure if Uktv were to go back to classic tv for gold,
    They could launch a dedicated comedy channel for well comedy. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Their June scheduling has been terrible. They have a lot of repeats which is fair enough, but to show exactly the same episodes of shows four times over two days is poor.
  • dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their June scheduling has been terrible. They have a lot of repeats which is fair enough, but to show exactly the same episodes of shows four times over two days is poor.

Which shows are these?
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yesterday is the new Gold part time now :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Which shows are these?

Four times might be wrong but they definitely show the same episode of things two days running. With +1 and people being able to record things to PVRs it's still poor.

Monday 24th June - 19:10

Only Fools and Horses: Stage Fright Del is helping a pregnant Raquel with her career in showbiz by arranging for a one-night spot at a local cabaret club alongside Tony Angelino, 'the singing dustman

Tuesday 25th June - 16:15

Only Fools and Horses: Stage Fright Del is helping a pregnant Raquel with her career in showbiz by arranging for a one-night spot at a local cabaret club alongside Tony Angelino, 'the singing dustman'.

Then you have things like Mrs Browns Boys. They show an episode at 21:40 and then repeat it again shortly after at 00:20.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never mind launching a HD version, they need to up the bitrate on the SD version first. They've tried to squeeze too many channels on one transponder. The result is when I watch Gold I have to check that my glasses aren't dirty. This is nothing to do with the quality of the source material it is quality lost in transmission.

Oh and dropping the 'UK Gold' name was absurd. People still call GOLD UK Gold a decade later. What idiot thought it was a good idea to kill a brand that strong? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Four times might be wrong but they definitely show the same episode of things two days running. With +1 and people being able to record things to PVRs it's still poor.

Monday 24th June - 19:10

Only Fools and Horses: Stage Fright Del is helping a pregnant Raquel with her career in showbiz by arranging for a one-night spot at a local cabaret club alongside Tony Angelino, 'the singing dustman

Tuesday 25th June - 16:15

Only Fools and Horses: Stage Fright Del is helping a pregnant Raquel with her career in showbiz by arranging for a one-night spot at a local cabaret club alongside Tony Angelino, 'the singing dustman'.

Then you have things like Mrs Browns Boys. They show an episode at 21:40 and then repeat it again shortly after at 00:20

Mrs Brown is getting huge ratings for GOLD three or four times their normal audience figures so of course they will repeat it.

1 MRS BROWN'S BOYS (WED 2100) 572
    2 MRS BROWN'S BOYS (SAT 2120) 351
    3 GIMME GIMME GIMME (WED 2140) 210
    4 FILM: SPY HARD (1996) (SAT 2200) 149
    5 MRS BROWN'S BOYS (FRI 2219) 146
    6 MRS BROWN'S BOYS (WED 2340) 133
    7 GOODNIGHT SWEETHEART (FRI 1900) 131
    8 ONLY FOOLS AND HORSES (MON 2100) 124
    9 OUTNUMBERED CHRISTMAS 2011 (THU 2140) 122
    10 FAWLTY TOWERS (MON 2209) 117