Options

Daily Mail conumdrum

RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The DM gets nothing but negative press (pun intended) on DM

Yet it gets well over 100 million hits each month online and is actually the world's most popular newspaper website.

This all seems a bit contradictory

Why the huge divergence in popularity ?

Comments

• Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member

Yet it gets well over 100 million hits each month online and is actually the world's most popular newspaper website.

People like a guilty pleasure. People are sheep. People are stupid. People have no taste.

Probably all of the above.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People all like to look at a carcrash, but no-one "likes" carcrashes.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DM site is my fave site by far. It's the first site I log onto when I go online and is positioned first in my bookmark tool bar!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The DM site is my fave site by far. It's the first site I log onto when I go online and is positioned first in my bookmark tool bar!

That's probably not the best thing to admit around here :D
  • Options
    Dwight WrightDwight Wright Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pictures of women in bikinis
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,800
    Forum Member

...the jeremy forrest peodo stuff is a little inane,and it loads a little slow,but regards other tabloids online,it doesn't have a lot of competition..if you engage your brain and sift through the shite,it's really not that bad
  • Options
    Green ThingGreen Thing Posts: 1,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there's nothing wrong with reading the website... But paying for it is another matter
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DM website and newspaper are two completely different beasts -- there's some cross over, of course, but the reason the DM website is so popular is because it is full of showbiz stuff/celebrity gossip/entertainment related dross - it is popular for the same reason as Digital Spy and TMZ etc. are. There are lots of people on the Internet who like looking at pictures of topless celebrities on the beach, or reading the latest TOWIE gossip and such like.

There's a lot of entertainment/showbiz stuff in the paper version as well, but quite naturally, people will choose to peruse it for free online through their website rather than pay to see the pictures/read the content in a paper copy. The people who buy the paper are probably doing it for different reasons -- more than likely they think the DM is a "proper" newspaper with "proper" content...
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I hate the daily mail. Its awful, incendiary, racist, nasty, young girl perving, woman hating, scaremongering, bullshitting, right wing gutterpress that harks back to to a time that never existed and is a blight on society in general.

I still read the website nearly every day though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    there's nothing wrong with reading the website... But paying for it is another matter

...true..i used to read the times when it was gratis..when it went down the subscription road,it was a real bummer
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tabloids always sell more than broadsheets. They're written to be easy to understand and contain the kind of celeb news (who's got cellulite, and so forth) that is consumed by people who like that sort of thing. DM also targets US audiences by including stuff of US interest. It's not a conundrum to me at all - it's designed to appeal to a low common denominator much like Saturday night TV does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...true..i used to read the times when it was gratis..when it went down the subscription road,it was a real bummer

The Daily Mail website isn't behind a pay wall, it's still free as of right now. So how it became a real bummer when it went down the subscription road, I have no idea... as it didn't go down the subscription road :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I'll admit it, I like the layout and the mind numbing celebrity gossip (half of which I have no idea who they are) but I basically take it with a skip full of salt.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Daily Mail website isn't behind a pay wall, it's still free as of right now. So how it became a real bummer when it went down the subscription road, I have no idea... as it didn't go down the subscription road :confused:

Ho ho...
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The huge main page shouldn't work - but it does. Its easy to pick stories out of it that on other, more "worthy", sites are pugged away on subpages.
    I know a lot of Americans and other nationalities read it, its a shame as the DM rarely paints the UK in a good light.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

The Times went down the subscription route, not The Mail, that's what the poster's saying is a real bummer. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

...read again,properly this time,and you'll see the words " i used to read the times " in my post :) hate it when that happens
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    It has world-wide followers, unfortunately.

:confused::eek::mad::o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    The Times went down the subscription route, not The Mail, that's what the poster's saying is a real bummer. :)

Oh right! Gotcha.

Sorry fishy mitten. I couldn't/didn't read your post properly. Think it might have been your unique "style" of typing! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh right! Gotcha.

Sorry fishy mitten. I couldn't/didn't read your post properly. Think it might have been your unique "style" of typing! :D

...apology accepted..we all make mistakes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    The huge main page shouldn't work - but it does. Its easy to pick stories out of it that on other, more "worthy", sites are pugged away on subpages.
    I know a lot of Americans and other nationalities read it, its a shame as the DM rarely paints the UK in a good light.

Oh yes, during that thing about the Rihanna piece. I saw people on sites like EW and CNN saying comments with the word "journalism" next to the words "Daily Mail"
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Because of the DM a lot of Americans think we are a Muslim client state just short of wearing burkas. No go areas and sharia law everywhere.
  • Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »
    It has world-wide followers, unfortunately.

:confused::eek::mad::o

Yep, and superficially it looks like a real newspaper rather than the tabloid trash it really is so it gets more credence on the international market.

If someone gets a link to a site like the Daily Star or the National Enquirer then they can tell it's going to be junk before the page has finished loading but the Mail has put a veneer of real journalism on top of their junk that people unaccustomed to their ways - the international market - have trouble seeing through.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep, and superficially it looks like a real newspaper rather than the tabloid trash it really is so it gets more credence on the international market.

If someone gets a link to a site like the Daily Star or the National Enquirer then they can tell it's going to be junk before the page has finished loading but the Mail has put a veneer of real journalism on top of their junk that people unaccustomed to their ways - the international market - have trouble seeing through.

... patronising much :)..not all foreigners are retarded
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    I read the Daily Mail online because it is hilarious. Seriously, the level of "journalism" is so low it is laughable. The "have your say" things at the bottom of the articles veer from the downright funny to the downright mental mouth-frothing "little Englander" Angry Of Tunbridge Wells.

Its so bad its good. I find myself being unable to resist reading the comments even though some of them will drive me nuts. :eek::D