Commentary on the Celebs Based on First Group Dance

Comments

• Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Men: Ashley & Patrick
    Women: Natalie, Abbey & Sophie

(those were easily the best in the group dance, with Natalie obviously being the runaway winner on that front).

Other notes:

- Ben seems not very light on his feet, which means a lot of Kristina flashes this year (you don't hear me complaining about that :o).

- Fiona and Susanna did ok, a bit of sexy mum dancing going around (but nothing more or less).

- Think that Abbey might become queen of the lifts, as she is very flexible (more so then Natalie, who is more technical obviously)

- Patrick has very good body movements for a man his age.

- Sophie should at least stay until tango week, as with her precise lines it should be very,very good.

Think that Natalie and Ashley are almost guaranteed a place in the final (dance off and stuff), it just becomes a matter of identifying the third finalist (or even the fourth).
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The old arguement about having people with dance experience has started. Nobody bothered about Jill, Tom and Kara and it was only DVO where it got really bad.
    Do people really want a group of none dancers with potential? I think it would be boring at the beginning if they were all useless.. I like a mix.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    The old arguement about having people with dance experience has started. Nobody bothered about Jill, Tom and Kara and it was only DVO where it got really bad.
    Do people really want a group of none dancers with potential? I think it would be boring at the beginning if they were all useless.. I like a mix.

The vitriol directed at DVO was because she consistently lied about her past experience, played it down, moaned that people weren't voting for her because of it and it wasn't fair... then as soon as she shut her mouth, James would start up. You said it yourself, the audience doesn't care about past experience since they voted Jill and Kara to win. It's nothing to do with that, and everything to do with DVO's personality.
  • PashultyPashulty Posts: 9,384
    Forum Member
    It seems the girls win on their previous dance experience and men on journey/personality .... just an observation I have suddenly made .... doh... penny dropping moment... lol...:p:D
  • posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not the first to shout 'Dirty RINGAH!' but I did look at Natalie and wonder where the interest is going to come from for me. Nice girl, clearly can dance a bit, but she's going to have to be amazingly good to get me on side. Maybe that's unfair, but my favourite Strictly moments are when I'm surprised (Mr Michael Vaughan, take a bow) or just in love with the quality of the dancer (Kara) and I can see her being unsurprisingly quite good throughout.

Thanks for the original post, SCD-Observer - pretty much spot on, I think, although I'd be a bit less harsh on Ben Cohen, personally. Flawed, absolutely, but there were things about him (rhythm, willingness to throw himself into the spirit of the thing, etc) that I thought showed tons of potential for development. And I guess this whole post is saying that I enjoy watching people get better, so I'm looking forward to him.

Oh, and I've been saying for ages that Rachel would start out a bit clunky and then improve. Hmmm... think I might have been a bit over-optimistic on that one:eek:
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pinkwafer wrote: »
    Just watched it again on iPlayer and I reckon Patrick is one to watch. I didn't realise he had a wealth of stage experience and I think he will trim down and become a real performer.

He's already QUITE trim for his age! Gosh, any more and he'll be a catalogue model!
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member

BIB - Weren't you around in Emma Bunton's year?? or Kelly Brook's? They were both dragged over the coals for previous experience Louisa Lytton managed to fly under the radar because Emma was catching all the flak that year!

A lot depends on

a. the way the judges treat the celebs (Emma could do no wrong as far as they were concerned - even when she made glaring errors, Likewise Ricky Whittle and a couple of others eg Lisa Snowdon) if someone is perceived to be given favourable treatment by the panel they tend not to do well in the public vote.

b. how they themselves handle the "previous experience situtation. DVO was the classic example of how NOT to do it - by trying to say she wasn't a dancer when she had appeared in Chicago - doing complex Bob Fosse choreography (not just sitting on a chair!), Natalie has done it right with the "Yes I've had quite a bit of dance training - let's see how i cope with ballroom." attitude.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    BIB - Weren't you around in Emma Bunton's year?? or Kelly Brook's? They were both dragged over the coals for previous experience Louisa Lytton managed to fly under the radar because Emma was catching all the flak that year!

A lot depends on

a. the way the judges treat the celebs (Emma could do no wrong as far as they were concerned - even when she made glaring errors, Likewise Ricky Whittle and a couple of others eg Lisa Snowdon) if someone is perceived to be given favourable treatment by the panel they tend not to do well in the public vote.

b. how they themselves handle the "previous experience situtation. DVO was the classic example of how NOT to do it - by trying to say she wasn't a dancer when she had appeared in Chicago - doing complex Bob Fosse choreography (not just sitting on a chair!), Natalie has done it right with the "Yes I've had quite a bit of dance training - let's see how i cope with ballroom." attitude.

In the case of (b), I thought at first Denise was genuinely modest. And then that 'Essex Girl' schitk and I just went 'huh?', she's not a bimbo that last I saw of her as a judge in Joseph... The fact that she's paired with James didn't help too...

So one wonders if Natalie would be better received. She admitted she had quite a bit of dance training in the past. Artem endeared himself with the Kara love story, so if they don't think they are dead cert to the finals and really work hard, like Alesha did, then they will indeed be in the final two, and perhaps even win this.
  • sradiasradia Posts: 940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not the first to shout 'Dirty RINGAH!' but I did look at Natalie and wonder where the interest is going to come from for me. Nice girl, clearly can dance a bit, but she's going to have to be amazingly good to get me on side. Maybe that's unfair, but my favourite Strictly moments are when I'm surprised (Mr Michael Vaughan, take a bow) or just in love with the quality of the dancer (Kara) and I can see her being unsurprisingly quite good throughout.

I completely with this. I think she did the right thing by coming out and acknowledging the dance experience, but having trained to be a professional dancer and only stopping due to injury at 19 she is inevitably going to be very good straight away, and I find little to be interesting in that. I am open to being proven wrong though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sradia wrote: »
    I completely with this. I think she did the right thing by coming out and acknowledging the dance experience, but having trained to be a professional dancer and only stopping due to injury at 19 she is inevitably going to be very good straight away, and I find little to be interesting in that. I am open to being proven wrong though!

People know I often joked about Artem's radioactive teeth and bum-chest etc, but he is an innovative choreographer. And I think if Artem is given a clearly talented celeb, he'll still push her to the limit. Kara is a case in point, though Kara may not be a trained dancer like Natalie, and Artem fancied the pants off her, he still made her do all those really amazing routines with very difficult figures. If Natalie is really THAT good and she is (I've watched the group dance now in slow-mo reduced to 33% original speed, and I can't fault Natalie in every way!), I'm sure we are going to see really AMAZING routinew from them every week. She's not going to get an easy ride that's for sure, and so this makes it exciting for me to see what she's going to come up with every week...
  • cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see Natalie suffering by being too good too soon - if she's constantly at the top with the judges (and I can't really see anybody who could beat her in week 1) she might not build up public support for when she really needs it later on.
    Forum Member
    In the case of (b), I thought at first Denise was genuinely modest. And then that 'Essex Girl' schitk and I just went 'huh?', she's not a bimbo that last I saw of her as a judge in Joseph... The fact that she's paired with James didn't help too...

So one wonders if Natalie would be better received. She admitted she had quite a bit of dance training in the past. Artem endeared himself with the Kara love story, so if they don't think they are dead cert to the finals and really work hard, like Alesha did, then they will indeed be in the final two, and perhaps even win this.

Yes The false modesty and deliberate playing down of her experience was her downfall - I actually saw her in Chicago and she was absolutely fantastic - and definitely not just sitting on a chair.... What she should have done was come clean like Natalie - and say that yes she could dance - but not ballroom dance, and then let her feet etc do the talking. She was fabulous in the show - but that lie - so easily disproved was her downfall - and of course, James opened his mouth and added fuel to the fire!

Natalie has obviously watched and learned from DVO - and seems to have defused the situation - for now at least.
  • yenstonyenston Posts: 2,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best men- Ashley and Patrick. Ben didn't look too bad and could improve I think.

Best women- Natalie and Abbey, followed by Fiona and Susanna.

Worst men- Tony and Dave. Mark could surprise- he was actually in time with the music.

Worst women. Rachel was by far the worst. She will either go out early or be another Kate Garraway. Deborah and Vanessa also bad but at least Vanessa acted with her face. Sophie didn't impress either, she was as stiff as a board.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yenston wrote: »
    Best men- Ashley and Patrick. Ben didn't look too bad and could improve I think.

Worst men- Tony and Dave. Mark could surprise- he was actually in time with the music.

Worst women. Rachel was by far the worst. She will either go out early or be another Kate Garraway. Deborah and Vanessa also bad but at least Vanessa acted with her face. Sophie didn't impress either, she was as stiff as a board.

BIB&U: I actually hope she doesn't employ her :eek: 'acting' in the live shows. That was a scary face I tell ya!
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The :eek: smiley was made for Vanessa. ;)
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yenston wrote: »

BIB Agree, the boy has rythm.:D
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member

I like a mix, completely agree, as long as nobody tells me I have to like the best dancer best. Some years I like the best technical dancer, some years I find the best technical dancer quite boring and predictable and like a learner. Some years I like a completely rubbish dancer if they are lovable and able to take being bad on the chin. The mix is the pleasure of SCD.

What annoys me is reading someone say that someone like Denise or Natalie 'should' win because they are the best technical dancer and anyone who doesn't vote for them is jealous or sexist or voting with their ovaries, etc. Everyone should be able to vote for who they actually enjoy the most. (I'm not saying you were saying that at all, I'm just talking generally.)

I like what I've seen of Natalie and I'm sure she and Artem are going to be amazing. But there are couples I'm more interested in so far, because I'm more unsure how they will do and so there's more drama. But maybe I'll fall for them when I see them dance. (I'm always wrong at this stage who my favourite will be.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jtnorth wrote: »
    I like a mix, completely agree, as long as nobody tells me I have to like the best dancer best. Some years I like the best technical dancer, some years I find the best technical dancer quite boring and predictable and like a learner. Some years I like a completely rubbish dancer if they are lovable and able to take being bad on the chin. The mix is the pleasure of SCD.

What annoys me is reading someone say that someone like Denise or Natalie 'should' win because they are the best technical dancer and anyone who doesn't vote for them is jealous or sexist or voting with their ovaries, etc. Everyone should be able to vote for who they actually enjoy the most. (I'm not saying you were saying that at all, I'm just talking generally.)

I like what I've seen of Natalie and I'm sure she and Artem are going to be amazing. But there are couples I'm more interested in so far, because I'm more unsure how they will do and so there's more drama. But maybe I'll fall for them when I see them dance. (I'm always wrong at this stage who my favourite will be.)

On the question of, ahem, ovaries.

Just for arguement sake (not picking a fight, just friendly 'polemic'), if you fancy someone, be it the celeb or the pro, what is wrong with voting for that reason? So, for instance, I can see how Ben could endear himself to many many woman because he's giving a very artless vibe, willing to give it a go kinda guy, who is at the same time not completely hopeless at following the beat, but also not a very naturally talented dancer.

I mean there are women here openly lusting after Gavbot and voted for him for his body, ickle face etc.. What's wrong with that? As long as you are 'entertained' by it that way, then even if others call you out on it and say you 'vote with your ovaries' why to need to get defensive or coy about it? It's obvious some people vote with their ovaires!

Of course, the same applies for men. I liked Chelsee very much, but I was having a bad crush on Pasha at the same time. Of course, it helped that Chelsee turned out a very good dancer in the end, so that helped A LOT. I voted for them for all these reasons, and I don't recall bleating and moaning when others accused or teased me of voting with my 'balls' or whatever...;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just for arguement sake (not picking a fight, just friendly 'polemic'), if you fancy someone, be it the celeb or the pro, what is wrong with voting for that reason? So, for instance, I can see how Ben could endear himself to many many woman because he's giving a very artless vibe, willing to give it a go kinda guy, who is at the same time not completely hopeless at following the beat, but also not a very naturally talented dancer.

I mean there are women here openly lusting after Gavbot and voted for him for his body, ickle face etc.. What's wrong with that? As long as you are 'entertained' by it that way, then even if others call you out on it and say you 'vote with your ovaries' why to need to get defensive or coy about it? It's obvious some people vote with their ovaires!

Of course, the same applies for men. I liked Chelsee very much, but I was having a bad crush on Pasha at the same time. Of course, it helped that Chelsee turned out a very good dancer in the end, so that helped A LOT. I voted for them for all these reasons, and I don't recall bleating and moaning when others accused or teased me of voting with my 'balls' or whatever...;)
    As a possessor of said ovaries (all be it somewhat defunct now) I was a huge Chelsee fan. Not much into men in general but not hormonally attracted to women either. Having said that Colin is still one to lust after and Seal would be a catch for the show. :o

My last years favourite was Dani.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monaogg wrote: »
    As a possessor of said ovaries (all be it somewhat defunct now) I was a huge Chelsee fan. Not much into men in general but not hormonally attracted to women either. Having said that Colin is still one to lust after and Seal would be a catch for the show. :o

My last years favourite was Dani.

Seal is a judge for Australian Voice isn't he?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seal is a judge for Australian Voice isn't he?
    Yup, and has picked the winner both years. At 6'4" would need Natalie as a partner but would have rhythm in bucketfuls. :D

Might be some competition with the girls for nail polish.
    Forum Member
    Ahem!

As another innpossession of said ovaries - I will admit to never voting for a male celeb (or pro for that matter!) based on his hotness/ physique/ looks etc.

When the lineup was announced - I immediately decided that Fiona was my fancy this year, and the fact that she has now got Anton who i have secretly loved for years as her partner makes this the pairing that I'm rooting (but not necessarily voting) for.

Ill probably throw a couple of votes VanJam's way too as I feel sorry for her being so disliked by public and Craig before she's danced a step in anger - and i think James has been vilified long enough for his so called "nastiness" towards Georgina (who has said that she thinks he was a great mentor by the way!).

So a woman liking two female celebs???????
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member

Was I being defensive and coy? It wasn't what I meant. I have no problem with people voting for people they fancy (I've done that often without apology) or because they feel sorry for them or because they liked the dress or whatever. I was a fan of Chelsee but I don't like people sneering at Harry that he 'only' won because of a pre-existing fan base. That sort of thing. I don't mind there being amazing trained dancers taking part as 'learners' in SCD as long as the ones that are real learners aren't told they aren't working as hard or if it's implied they don't deserve to stay in if they are fair and square getting the public vote. I don't know if I can explain what I mean properly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jtnorth wrote: »
    Was I being defensive and coy? It wasn't what I meant. I have no problem with people voting for people they fancy (I've done that often without apology) or because they feel sorry for them or because they liked the dress or whatever. I was a fan of Chelsee but I don't like people sneering at Harry that he 'only' won because of a pre-existing fan base. That sort of thing. I don't mind there being amazing trained dancers taking part as 'learners' in SCD as long as the ones that are real learners aren't told they aren't working as hard or if it's implied they don't deserve to stay in if they are fair and square getting the public vote. I don't know if I can explain what I mean properly.

I know you WEREN'T being defensive and coy, just as you mention ovaries voting, and from that thin line of thought I try to open up some kind of discussion. :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know you WEREN'T being defensive and coy, just as you mention ovaries voting, and from that thin line of thought I try to open up some kind of discussion. :o

Where is Monkseal :D:D:D