Driving tests. What should I expect?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
Forum Member
✭✭
I have my driving test on the 17th feb and I am, of course, desperate to pass. I am sure there are plenty of drivers on DS so can give I please have advice on the best way to pass this damn thing?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    I have my driving test on the 17th feb and I am, of course, desperate to pass. I am sure there are plenty of drivers on DS so can give I please have advice on the best way to pass this damn thing?

Just take care of your own business & watch out for the other idiots. You're good enough. :)
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignore the **** chucking traffic cones at you. SIA.
  • RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Breathe, try to relax, don't panic if you make a mistake. Try and get a lesson, or at least some time with your instructor before your test if you can. I found that helped a lot.

Most of all, good luck!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    Ignore the **** chucking traffic cones at you. SIA.

You are so going to do that to me, you are the worst husband ever >:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You will get into the car, then drive, and the tester will tell you at the end whether you pass or fail.:)

Seriously though, it will come down to whether the person testing you feels safe with you driving. If not, they will fail you on anything they can find. Get out and practice as much as possible before the test with someone - it will make a difference.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just take care of your own business & watch out for the other idiots. You're good enough. :)

This basically. Do everything you are supposed to do, stay relaxed, take your time and you'll be fine. If you make any mistakes don't let them take over. I thought I'd failed within 5 minutes but passed.

As someone else said its about safety, if its smooth and the examiner feels safe, you'll pass, unless you totally fudge it up.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    The only thing that can really mess things up for you is your nerves. Unless your driving instructor is shite, you should be having an hour long lesson before the test, which will help settle you down a bit.

I did what they used to call a "commentary drive" during my test. Basically just say (in your head) everything that you see and do while you're driving. It worked for me.
  • UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are so going to do that to me, you are the worst husband ever >:(

This must be the quickest engagement on record. Married already? >:( the invitations must have got lost in the post! Good luck for your driving test, you will be fine. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh and have a really poor lesson before the test - this is often a good sign strangely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My practical test is a week after urs.

I am crapping myself especially if I get asked to do the reverse around the corner.

Good luck btw :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uffa wrote: »
    This must be the quickest engagement on record. Married already? >:( the invitations must have got lost in the post! Good luck for your driving test, you will be fine. :)

We were in Las Vegas and the man dressed as elvis refused to wait
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »

I am crapping myself especially if I get asked to do the reverse around the corner.

Do they still teach this then? I don't think I've ever reversed around a corner since my test, and that was 20 years ago. It's just not something you do.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uffa wrote: »

Actually I'm a little annoyed that I wasn't invited either. Unless of course they decided to wing it and elope to Vegas/Blackpool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do they still teach this then? I don't think I've ever reversed around a corner since my test, and that was 20 years ago. It's just not something you do.

Yup u need to know it aswell as the 3 point turn and the emergency stop procedure.

The reserve around the corner does my head in so much.
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, but if you don't feel confident performing this fairly simple manoeuvre I'm not sure you are ready to pass your test.
    Yup u need to know it aswell as the 3 point turn and the emergency stop procedure.

I think there are 4 manoeuvres that you're expected to feel comfortable with by the time you take your test ...

- reverse round a corner
    - reverse into a parking space
    - parallel parking
    - 3 point turn

All 4 show that you are aware of your cars dimensions, aware of the situation around your car, know how to perfrom the correct signals to inform other drivers and pedestrians what your about to do, and are in control of you car.

You can expect to be tested on at least two of those manoeuvres during your test. Once you pass your test you may never perform any of those manoeuvres again (though I don't know why not, as they are all useful).

About 3/4 of tests will also involve an emergency stop.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Actually I'm a little annoyed that I wasn't invited either. Unless of course they decided to wing it and elope to Vegas/Blackpool.

Blackpool?! 'ck sake I'm know I'm classless but really \/ *snout*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Reverse round a corner is the one i have the most difficulty with, I hate it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    Sorry, but if you don't feel confident performing this fairly simple manoeuvre I'm not sure you are ready to pass your test.

Simple? that is a matter of opinion. I can do it alright but I don't find it simple at all and nervousness can lead to all kinds of problems. I am human you know.

TCD1975 wrote: »
    I think there are 4 manoeuvres that your expected to know by the time you take your test ...

- reverse round a corner
    - reverse into a parking space
    - parrallel parking
    - 3 point turn

You can expect to be tested on at least two of those manoeuvres during your test.

About 3/4 of tests will also involve an emergency stop.

Apparently the reverse around the corner or the three point turn are the ones you will most likely get asked to do on the test.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »

We will get married again, you and Uffa ca be bridesmaids :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reverse round a corner is the one i have the most difficulty with, I hate it

Tell me about it its so fidgety haha
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    Blackpool?! 'ck sake I'm know I'm classless but really \/ *snout*

pah, blackpool is way too classy for you V
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simple? that is a matter of opinion. I can do it alright but I don't find it simple at all...

Fair enough. I personally found reversing round a corner easy but found parallel parking the most difficult.

The nerves are the thing most likely to fail you. I went into my driving test thinking "If I fail it's not the end of the world - lots of people fail first time - but it'll be a learning experience and I'll be more confident the next time."

By taking the pressure off myself I relaxed and passed first time with a faultless test (including a parallel park, reverse round a corner, reverse in to a space and emergency stop).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I took my test someone else also started their test at the same time as me, in the parking space next to mine. The examinor told me to wait until they'd pulled out of the test centre before I started the car but the person next to me stalled about 6 times in a row before they had even pulled out of their parking space, so I just got my car started and pulled out. I felt pretty sorry for the other test driver ... I think their nerves must have been shot to pieces and they must have failed their test before they'd even driven 2 yards.