Advent Vega

Comments

• Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muddipaws wrote: »
    Jeeze alan lighten up!

There is certainly no enlightenment contained there.
    :)
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad news day for new potential buyers.

No flash player.:cry:

Well short term it is.

http://www.myadventvega.co.uk/Adobe_Flash_Statement_13-12-10.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So short its been working at Modaco for weeks.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    Had a very quick look at one tonight, was very impressed with it.
    Good screen, good touch controls, found a dozen wireless networks immediately and was very fast on the net.

The size was good and it didn't weigh much at all, it does have a hdmi output as well for those wondering. General feel of the case wasn't too great, but a leather case will be available soon which will sort that out.

I'm definitely going to be looking out for one of these in the new year.

Good screen? Its got horrible viewing angles like the rest of the cheap lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like a Macbook or any standard laptop then.
    :rolleyes:
    Is the new mantra I suppose.
    Forget everything you need, just look at the screen.
  • Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pocatello wrote: »
    Good screen? Its got horrible viewing angles like the rest of the cheap lot.
    Had a very quick look at one tonight, was very impressed with it.

If you need further help, just ask.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got my Vega two days ago so am assuming it does have the latest software, I have also downloaded the PDF for the operating instructions and it really does not make it clear how to download apps at all

Bwahhhhaaaa

I don’t know if you are still looking to download apps but if like me you are feeling your way around Android with a small and steady learning curve here is a reasonably easy way to down load apps without a market place. Should do until we get the 2.3 update.

I am assuming here that you have got to the stage where your Vega can be connected to your PC for file transfer using the instructions and USB drivers on the Vega support site.

Start by going to http://www.getjar.com up in the top right-hand corner enter ‘Google Nexus One’ as your mobile phone as these files (most of them anyway) work with the Advent Vega.

Now as an example look for “Angry Birds” and click to download the app. After doing this another box will open and within that box is a clickable button with the wording “downloads this application to your computer”. The box that opens now is the standard file location so select somewhere on your PC to store the “TrainSim.Packaged.Activity” file.

Now connect your Vega to your PC (again I am assuming you have already linked your Vega to your PC) which should start the file transfer programme running. As this programme only gives the option AFAIK to transfer pictures, music, video and documents to the Vega you have to use your PC's Windows file explorer to copy the Angry Birds file to your Vega.

In Windows Explorer your Vega will be listed as a removable drive so clicking on its location will open the folders in the Vega. Copy and Paste the Angry Birds file to the folder called Downloads which I think of the top of my head is a sub folder of the Media folder but don't hold me to it:).

Disconnect the Vega from your PC and open the file manager in the application area of the Vega and search for the Angry Birds file in the download folder, when you have found it tap the screen and you will given the option to install the programme.

That’s it, hope you can follow this, if you can you should be having fun with those birds and pigs in no time at all.
  • Options
    muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skiptracer thank you so much this is so helpful and enjoyable response as opposed to the condacending ones which do not help

I still like my vega can sit comfy on sofa and watch tv whilst online chatting its great or reading my newspaper in the morning

Wil let you know how i get on

Thanks again
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in stock on PC World site !
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    len112 wrote: »
    Back in stock on PC World site !

Yes and Currys but it is the non flash version.

I'm still waiting for it to make it to the shops.

Not sure what to go for though. I like the Dell Duo as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and Currys but it is the non flash version.I'm still waiting for it to make it to the shops.

Although my Vega came with flash it is not such a big problem as I originally thought to install the file once you have got the Vega to hand.

Go here http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-vega-vega-modaco-com/326486/advent-vega-rom-software-updates/ and download the flash apk file.

I have not had to do this myself but once you have the file just follow my instruction above for loading Angry Birds onto the Vega.

I think, but I am not sure that clicking on the flash file once on the Vega will install it and hopefully set it up for use.

Hopefully the 2.3 update with the certified Abode flash will be with us within a few weeks of January so we will all be over the moon then.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or just tape over he HDMI, SD slot and USB. And turn off one CPU.

You can then sort of pretend it is an iPad for a few weeks.
    .:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    Although my Vega came with flash it is not such a big problem as I originally thought to install the file once you have got the Vega to hand.

Go here http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-vega-vega-modaco-com/326486/advent-vega-rom-software-updates/ and download the flash apk file.

I have not had to do this myself but once you have the file just follow my instruction above for loading Angry Birds onto the Vega.

I think, but I am not sure that clicking on the flash file once on the Vega will install it and hopefully set it up for use.

Hopefully the 2.3 update with the certified Abode flash will be with us within a few weeks of January so we will all be over the moon then.:)

Interesting as I managed to dowload this via my wifi using the tablet and the file is sat there on the Vega but when I select it it does nothing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes and Currys but it is the non flash version.

I'm still waiting for it to make it to the shops.

What are the disadvantages of getting the non flash version please ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What are the disadvantages of getting the non flash version please ?

Well apart from not being able to play flash videos or games, not a lot really.

I would mod the vega anyway with the other firmware so it would play flash. Plus they'll probably certify it later anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting as I managed to dowload this via my wifi using the tablet and the file is sat there on the Vega but when I select it it does nothing

I was afraid someone was going to say that.

All I can suggest is reading the forums on modaco.com and somewhere in there is a guide to loading the flash player. I have seen this somewhere on there but it’s such a fast moving site in regards to the Vega and Android it is hard to track down.

Click on this http://android.modaco.com/forum.html , scroll down to the Vega and click from there, there's a lot of reading to do.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would mod the vega anyway with the other firmware so it would play flash. Plus they'll probably certify it later anyway.

Plus of course the biggest down fall, no BBC iPlayer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I read that there will be an update provided free of charge in the new year , will that mean that youtube and Iplayer will work?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read that there will be an update provided free of charge in the new year , will that mean that youtube and Iplayer will work?

Oh right well I have been watching iplay on my Vega, just cathing up on missed programmes so somehow it must be working, its all very confusing lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right well I have been watching iplay on my Vega, just cathing up on missed programmes so somehow it must be working, its all very confusing lol

I think this link might shed some light

http://www.myadventvega.co.uk/Adobe_Flash_Statement_13-12-10.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC got the myplayer app removed from the Android store so best backup your device if that's what you have.

Stick with the Vega muddipaws. I'm sure its potential will be more realised next year.
    If iPad 2 does not match it for its extra 250% CPU power Steve Jobs is certainly mugging his customers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The BBC got the myplayer app removed from the Android store so best backup your device if that's what you have.

Stick with the Vega muddipaws. I'm sure its potential will be more realised next year.
    If iPad 2 does not match it for its extra 250% CPU power Steve Jobs is certainly mugging his customers.

I did not realise that the BBC iPlayer had an app for Android, me being a new boy.:)

When I tried the iPlayer the other day while giving the Vega a quick run-in I ran the iPlayer via the web browser.

Worked well from there and for future quick starts I just put a short cut on the desk top.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    I did not realise that the BBC iPlayer had an app for Android, me being a new boy.:)

When I tried the iPlayer the other day while giving the Vega a quick run-in I ran the iPlayer via the web browser.

Worked well from there and for future quick starts I just put a short cut on the desk top.

Sorry I did run it through the browser sorry for any confusion
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are there any video players for the Android OS. I can't see an android version of VLC.

Is Firefox on Android?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there any video players for the Android OS. I can't see an android version of VLC.

Is Firefox on Android?

I won’t be getting into the full workings of the Vega until next week but all I can say about video on the Vega is that it played my cheap camcorder HD AVI 1080p files almost flawlessly.

I say flawlessly because I detected a small but hardly noticeable bit of jerking, taking this into context I have had trouble playing the files on my XP and Vista computers although they play on my W7 machine without fault.

I have not seen Firefox, but I have not been looking. Great if it is and if it isn’t I am sure it will be soon, especially when Gingerbread get established.