Options

Thick people with HMV gift cards WAKE UP!!!

Comments

• Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't me it was my dad.

I assumed that you could get your money back, if the box is unopened that's not the case?

I would have assumed even if technically you're not entitled to a refund, some common sense could be applied.

If the item is not faulty, then no you can't just change your mind and return the item. What common sense. you're not entitled to a refund, they offered something througha good will gesture, what more do you want?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    People who buy gift cards seriously annoy me especially when I can't find anything I want to spend them on. You either have to let them go to waste or waste them on buying some piece of crap just for the hell of using it up.

What's wrong with good old fashioned cash so you can spend it on something you actually want. People who buy gift vouchers put zero effort into present buying. Either give us the money or buy us something we like or just don't bother.

Actually, why don't the people who tend to give gift vouchers as presents just buy some seasonal or celebration cards from their preferred charity shop (there's plenty of those on the high-street) and load the card with third-party gift-vouchers which will be accepted in every store, and which can be obtained from any cash-machine.

That way the gift-giver is helping out a charity of their choice, and the gift-recipient can use the gift in the way which will help them the most.

These days, the only single store gift-cards which are pretty much certain to retain their value, and not become worthless at a moment's notice are those of the major supermarket chains. And it's still easier and more convenient for both parties to send cash, as the giver doesn't have to get the card at their preferred supermarket, and the recipient doesn't have to use it in one of that same supermarket's stores (which may not be as convenient as the one they usually use).
  • Options
    elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I told him afterwards he should have just held on to the item anyway.

I would have watched it :D
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2013 wrote: »
    HMV has been in the news virtually weekly over the past few years, we've heard for all this time that the group are in serious trouble.

Yet I'm reading and hearing that stupid people have all these HMV gift cards which they haven't used.

Seriously do you walk around with your eyes and ears closed? I can honestly not get over how silly these people are, did we not learn anything from Comet or Clintons, even Woolworths for that matter.

I honestly hope that every single one of you lose out on every single penny your gift card is worth, you need to wake up and smell the coffee and learn a vital lesson from this.

A little tip in future DO NOT ASK OR REQUEST GIFT CARDS/VOUCHERS, make it CLEAR to family and friends especially the older generation that you want either a gift, cash or cheque.

Do not MOAN, do not COMPLAIN and do not be SAD

It's your own fault :D

Greatest respect, but what a load of utter bollocks :cool::)
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why these cards are not being accepted - the money has already been paid to the company in the first place and in effect the goods have been delayed in transfer to the buyer.
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why these cards are not being accepted - the money has already been paid to the company in the first place and in effect the goods have been delayed in transfer to the buyer.

I'd say it was because the cash has been received already, it effectively makes the giftcard holder a creditor to HMV.

There are specific ways in which assets can be distributed to creditors, eg those who have fixed security on assets, eg property would benefit from the sale of these assets first, then there are floating security holders who will perhaps have security over stock. As part of the administration/winding up, there is a procedure to be followed, to fairly treat creditors.

Those in charge now's aim is to save the company, or collect as much income as possible to return as much debt back to creditors. Allowing giftcards to be redeemed is effectively letting the least secured creditors full payout of what is owed to them, whilst large lenders who may have funded the company for many years, suppliers etc could walk away with pennies in the pound.

It may not seem fair to the customers, but at the same time imagine being another creditor, say a handyman style business who has refitted a shop, done lots of work, done the labour hours, bought the materials etc and hasn't been paid a few thousand. They can't walk in with an invoice for the value of work done, and exchange it for the same value of goods, a gift card is effectively the customers "invoice"

I can see where giftcard holders are coming from, but given the company is in administration, I'd hazard a guess that creditors of £10-£100 ish pound are fairly low down on administrators mind.

As I said their aim is to raise as much money as possible for creditors, so exchanging cards for stock is the opposite of that,stock value reduces with no cash coming in, that same stock could be sold for actual cash which is obviously the aim. The only potential way I can see giftcards being re-instated is if it is deemed better for the image of the company and for future prospects of raising cash, and I think (but I'm not certain) it would require the larger, secured creditors agreement before going ahead and doing so.
  • Options
    YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    HMV has been in the news virtually weekly over the past few years, we've heard for all this time that the group are in serious trouble.

Yet I'm reading and hearing that stupid people have all these HMV gift cards which they haven't used.

Seriously do you walk around with your eyes and ears closed? I can honestly not get over how silly these people are, did we not learn anything from Comet or Clintons, even Woolworths for that matter.

I honestly hope that every single one of you lose out on every single penny your gift card is worth, you need to wake up and smell the coffee and learn a vital lesson from this.

A little tip in future DO NOT ASK OR REQUEST GIFT CARDS/VOUCHERS, make it CLEAR to family and friends especially the older generation that you want either a gift, cash or cheque.

I have 3 kids all at school, all use playstation/ xbox and the games can be as much as €60 in ireland - their granparents give them hmv vouchers to contribute towards the cost of console games- they didn't spend their xmas ones - they were saving them until they had enough money to put with voucher for new game- of course they are disappointed that the vouchers are worthless now but when we passed the local shop yesterday where the workers are holding a sit in , trying to get their wages - they soon realised that other people have bigger problems than not being able to redeem vouchers
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Yera wrote: »
    I have 3 kids all at school, all use playstation/ xbox and the games can be as much as €60 in ireland - their granparents give them hmv vouchers to contribute towards the cost of console games- they didn't spend their xmas ones - they were saving them until they had enough money to put with voucher for new game- of course they are disappointed that the vouchers are worthless now but when we passed the local shop yesterday where the workers are holding a sit in , trying to get their wages - they soon realised that other people have bigger problems than not being able to redeem vouchers

Lovely post . My heart goes out to the workers too . I hope they are soon taken over by another groupand the workers can hope to work again .
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    The receivers Deloitte may still yet decide to allow HMV gift cards/vouchers to be redeemed as they did in the Comet situation after first deciding to suspend them. People should just ignore the usual smug doom mongers here on DS as there is still some hope for those holding HMV gift cards.

I'm hoping that HMV is saved in some form although I expect it will be a much more streamlined version to begin with if it does. At least some of the current employees will keep their jobs and there will still be a supplier of CDs/DVDs etc on the high street for those who still prefer that form of buying their media.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try not to show your gratitude too much will you dude.

Why should I be grateful for something that we have to go out of our way to dispose of because it's clear that the person buying the gift couldn't really be bothered to get you something you actually like or want. What are we supposed say? Thanks but save me the trip to the charity shop and don't bother next time?

Seriously every year our house becomes a dumping ground for thoughtless gifts from boots gift sets of foul smelling bath bombs to scented candles or those willow tree ornaments and lets not forget the secret Santa rubbish present. We get one every year off a woman at my wife's work and my wife can't stand them. How much room on our mantle piece do they think we have for this stuff? Those bath sets are the worst. It's always some disgusting combination like mango and ylang ylang or tea tree and vanilla with extra scratchy exfoliating bits so you come out red raw and smelling like a walking fruit shop. There's a reason that people never buy this crap for themselves because it's disgusting and the people who buy them must walk into their local boots, go straight to the 'thoughtless last minute tatt' ideas section and say, 'sod it that'll do'.

It's as bad as people who feel they need to bring you back a present off holiday but you can tell that they can't really be bothered so you end up with a keyring, fridge magnet or a pen with Lanzarote written on it and it just gets dumped in the kitchen junk drawer because you feel too guilty to throw it in the bin where it belongs. I'd much rather they didn't waste their money and just gave us the cash instead. At least the cash would be put to better use.
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say it was because the cash has been received already, it effectively makes the giftcard holder a creditor to HMV.

There are specific ways in which assets can be distributed to creditors, eg those who have fixed security on assets, eg property would benefit from the sale of these assets first, then there are floating security holders who will perhaps have security over stock. As part of the administration/winding up, there is a procedure to be followed, to fairly treat creditors.

Those in charge now's aim is to save the company, or collect as much income as possible to return as much debt back to creditors. Allowing giftcards to be redeemed is effectively letting the least secured creditors full payout of what is owed to them, whilst large lenders who may have funded the company for many years, suppliers etc could walk away with pennies in the pound.

It may not seem fair to the customers, but at the same time imagine being another creditor, say a handyman style business who has refitted a shop, done lots of work, done the labour hours, bought the materials etc and hasn't been paid a few thousand. They can't walk in with an invoice for the value of work done, and exchange it for the same value of goods, a gift card is effectively the customers "invoice"

I can see where giftcard holders are coming from, but given the company is in administration, I'd hazard a guess that creditors of £10-£100 ish pound are fairly low down on administrators mind.

As I said their aim is to raise as much money as possible for creditors, so exchanging cards for stock is the opposite of that,stock value reduces with no cash coming in, that same stock could be sold for actual cash which is obviously the aim. The only potential way I can see giftcards being re-instated is if it is deemed better for the image of the company and for future prospects of raising cash, and I think (but I'm not certain) it would require the larger, secured creditors agreement before going ahead and doing so.

Makes sense, wasn't thinking about it in terms of credit. So when the company goes down, holders of giftcards just become creditors like the many who won't get paid as the administrators distribute the monies.
  • Options
    DanielleLDanielleL Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    Why should I be grateful for something that we have to go out of our way to dispose of because it's clear that the person buying the gift couldn't really be bothered to get you something you actually like or want. What are we supposed say? Thanks but save me the trip to the charity shop and don't bother next time?

Seriously every year our house becomes a dumping ground for thoughtless gifts from boots gift sets of foul smelling bath bombs to scented candles or those willow tree ornaments and lets not forget the secret Santa rubbish present. We get one every year off a woman at my wife's work and my wife can't stand them. How much room on our mantle piece do they think we have for this stuff? Those bath sets are the worst. It's always some disgusting combination like mango and ylang ylang or tea tree and vanilla with extra scratchy exfoliating bits so you come out red raw and smelling like a walking fruit shop. There's a reason that people never buy this crap for themselves because it's disgusting and the people who buy them must walk into their local boots, go straight to the 'thoughtless last minute tatt' ideas section and say, 'sod it that'll do'.

It's as bad as people who feel they need to bring you back a present off holiday but you can tell that they can't really be bothered so you end up with a keyring, fridge magnet or a pen with Lanzarote written on it and it just gets dumped in the kitchen junk drawer because you feel too guilty to throw it in the bin where it belongs. I'd much rather they didn't waste their money and just gave us the cash instead. At least the cash would be put to better use.

To be honest I buy those smelly disgusting gift sets for people I don't like, maybe your wife peed off her workmates somehow? I don't know but next year you could ask them to donate to the charity of your choice instead of buying those nasty presents? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DanielleL wrote: »
    To be honest I buy those smelly disgusting gift sets for people I don't like, maybe your wife peed off her workmates somehow? I don't know but next year you could ask them to donate to the charity of your choice instead of buying those nasty presents? :)

My wife is so lovely she isn't disliked by anyone. People just don't think or simply can't be bothered so pick up the first bit of crap that comes to hand. Sadly my wife always puts so much effort into buying presents for her workmates and they just palm us off with the same thoughtless rubbish year after year.

Why can't they just buy us a bottle of wine instead. Wine never goes to waste. No. Instead I get given a box set of cheap miniature aftershaves which I wouldn't even use as toilet freshener.

It's like when people know you play golf and you end up getting given every shit novelty golf gift set from Debenhams year upon year. Why do these places sell this crap? We don't want it! Please don't waste your money.

If people actually made an effort to find out what you'd like for Christmas or bought you something they know you actually want and like rather than palming you off with crap smellies or useless gift vouchers then we wouldn't have to be so ungrateful.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Stegan wrote: »
    The receivers Deloitte may still yet decide to allow HMV gift cards/vouchers to be redeemed as they did in the Comet situation after first deciding to suspend them. People should just ignore the usual smug doom mongers here on DS as there is still some hope for those holding HMV gift cards.

I'm hoping that HMV is saved in some form although I expect it will be a much more streamlined version to begin with if it does. At least some of the current employees will keep their jobs and there will still be a supplier of CDs/DVDs etc on the high street for those who still prefer that form of buying their media.

Exactly.

I said this in a thread yesterday but was ignored over the usual Digital Spy Hyperbolic Doom Machine dispensing its usual misinformed bullshit.
  • Options
    DanielleLDanielleL Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    My wife is so lovely she isn't disliked by anyone. People just don't think or simply can't be bothered so pick up the first bit of crap that comes to hand. Sadly my wife always puts so much effort into buying presents for her workmates and they just palm us off with the same thoughtless rubbish year after year.

Why can't they just buy us a bottle of wine instead. Wine never goes to waste. No. Instead I get given a box set of cheap miniature aftershaves which I wouldn't even use as toilet freshener.

It's like when people know you play golf and you end up getting given every shit novelty golf gift set from Debenhams year upon year. Why do these places sell this crap? We don't want it! Please don't waste your money.

If people actually made an effort to find out what you'd like for Christmas or bought you something they know you actually want and like rather than palming you off with crap smellies or useless gift vouchers then we wouldn't have to be so ungrateful.

Perhaps they aren't genuine friends? and don't give a flying fig what you actually want? Some might even buy you horrid gifts to piss you off. I had a friend who hated her relatives and they hated her and got her what they knew she did not want year in year out. But like I said you could always ask them to donate to the charity of your choice or set up a Just giving page in you and your wifes name for a charity and tell people to donate there instead of wasting money on stuff you don't want or need.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DanielleL wrote: »
    Perhaps they aren't genuine friends? and don't give a flying fig what you actually want? Some might even buy you horrid gifts to piss you off. I had a friend who hated her relatives and they hated her and got her what they knew she did not want year in year out. But like I said you could always ask them to donate to the charity of your choice or set up a Just giving page in you and your wifes name for a charity and tell people to donate there instead of wasting money on stuff you don't want or need.

Excellent idea. Also abandon secret Santa so we don't have to buy £10 worth of presents for someone we don't like only to get a rubbish bath set in return.
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent idea. Also abandon secret Santa so we don't have to buy £10 worth of presents for someone we don't like only to get a rubbish bath set in return.

Or perhaps advise them to join DS so they can subtlety find out what you really think of their gift ideas :)
    I have never advised anyone to join DS and apart from my OH who posts occasionally I have never recognised anyone on DS as someone I may know

And in some cases on here I think that is a good thing:D
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There you go. Problem solved.
  • Options
    Akane TendoAkane Tendo Posts: 4,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or you could you know not participate in secret Santas .... radical idea I know. :D
  • Options
    42dragonfly42dragonfly Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    A gift card as a present says to me that I want to give you a gift but I can't be bothered to think about what you would like and I don't trust you to spend the money I could give you on something I don't approve of...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Yera wrote: »
    Ah, I am so sorry for the kids and their grandparents. It's a cruel lesson for kids to learn. I really hope the Government set up new guidelines about the selling of gift vouchers.
    I know I shall never buy one ever again from anywhere until they do.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wizard, 2013 - here's an idea for next year. Instead of waiting for gifts to arrive from your many friends and work colleagues, simply buy everything you want yourself. Keep hold of the receipts and include them with any Xmas cards you send. Make sure you note down your bank account details so the recipients can make a bank transfer to cover the costs of the gifts they got you.

Everyone's a winner - you get the stuff you really wanted rather than some cheap tat or thoughtless vouchers, your wonderful friends and colleagues get to feel all warm and Christmassy at having got lovely presents for you this year.

Ok, it does take the whole spirit of Christmas idea, smashes it into a billion pieces so it's no longer recognisable, but hey, you get the stuff you wanted so that's all right??
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or just say that you don't use the bath sets and give other gift suggestions instead?

You can even make up an excuse like sensitive skin if you want.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

Why not write to the administrators as a creditor?
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Or just say that you don't use the bath sets and give other gift suggestions instead?

You can even make up an excuse like sensitive skin if you want.

Why not just say that no gifts at all please!