Snow watch 2012/2013

Comments

• ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Fairly light (so far) but steady ❅❅❅ in London SE.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing overnight yet but looking at the Raintoday map it looks like it's going to hit us in the next hour or so.

Pleased I'm working from my sofa today.
  • geniejeangeniejean Posts: 109,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Snowing fairly heavy near Chorley, Lancs, were supposed to be missing it! I usually find the website will it rain today very accurate, but can't get on it at present
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    How does the BBC and other news channels get access to these live cctv motorway cameras ?

you can check out some of the camera's yourself

http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/
  • MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We already had about 3 inches at 9:30 - and its still coming down heavy.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC News has just shown a shot of Downing Street and it is snowing very heavily.
  • Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    BBC News has just shown a shot of Downing Street and it is snowing very heavily.

Good..
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Clear, bright and cold up here in Northumberland.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our snow stopped last night around 11pm. We had about 2 inches in my part of Suffolk, but once i got off the unmade to road to come to work, the roads were fine.

I don't think we are due anymore until about 3pm tonight .... but who knows.
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If only we could arrange for all the snow to drop in that spot.....bliss:D:D
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Our snow stopped last night around 11pm. We had about 2 inches in my part of Suffolk, but once i got off the unmade to road to come to work, the roads were fine.

I don't think we are due anymore until about 3pm tonight .... but who knows.

Going by this, I reckon it'll be earlier than that, but probably quite light at first.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going by this, I reckon it'll be earlier than that, but probably quite light at first.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Hmmmm. I am sat alone in the office today, and if it does start to fall (and by that I mean quite heavily) I think i will go home early. I would rather drive in the light rather than in the dark when the roads are slippery.
  • CatsRuleCatsRule Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    Looking at the motorway cameras, it looks like the snow is just starting to creep into the south of Manchester. I am still waiting, none in Sheffield yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I promised, i'm about to post pics of our snowstorm. just to compare with yours

Just want to compare

I know, UK and Russian(Finnish/Canadian/Nordic) climate are completely different to each other, but just think, what would happen if there was snow like this, as it now, in Moscow

0_a6cb5_c0da8d70_orig.jpg

[more]
    0_a6cb6_83523ecc_orig.jpg

0_a6cb7_4e9659d4_orig.jpg

0_a6cb8_f0574749_orig.jpg

0_a6cb9_9f9c4d52_orig.jpg
  • wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much covered here in Hayes, main road seems clear, side roads are lethal, still steadily snowing, wonder how much heavier it will get ?
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Got about 4-5 cm in South Gloucs. Roads were fine coming to work this morning. All running smoothly.
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    snowing heavey here SW Midlands

mvj5aq.jpg
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    CatsRule wrote: »
    Looking at the motorway cameras, it looks like the snow is just starting to creep into the south of Manchester. I am still waiting, none in Sheffield yet.

I'm in Sheffield too. It can start at 2pm when I'm back home :p
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Snow in Surrey (Caterham) now 1" or more. Idiot landlord didn't grit the steep, winding drive. Car now stuck halfway up (not mine, I hasten to add).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30-40cm of snow here, just in case
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The snow has reached NW England. Snowing heavily in Bolton.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Proper full-on heavy snowfall in my rural-ish part of Bristol. Fortunately I've no reason to venture out. Most, if not all, schools are shut. Nice to see kids out doing what they should be doing on the rare occasions it snows enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ænima wrote: »
    I'm in Sheffield too. It can start at 2pm when I'm back home :p

bring it on baby!!!

Three o'clock, supposedy around here.

All my beer is on the garden table, being naturally chilled by the Yorkshire weather. Could charge a premium for stuff like that!!
  • DanielleLDanielleL Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    It's a full on blizzard in Waterlooville, might go for a drive while the roads are empty!

My auntie is in Waterlooville :) we got some in Southsea but no where near as bad as the rest of the country and its stopped now.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    Proper full-on heavy snowfall in my rural-ish part of Bristol. Fortunately I've no reason to venture out. Most, if not all, schools are shut. Nice to see kids out doing what they should be doing on the rare occasions it snows enough.

I've been driving around this morning (north Bristol: Downend -> Winterbourne -> Almondsbury), and the roads were actually fine - less congested than usual I'd say!