Proposal to ban drinking alcohol on trains

12346»

Comments

• Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Other passengers will also alert staff.

I bet you were a snitch at school too, weren't you?
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah right.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweetums wrote: »
    I've always thought it rather sad when people can't last for a train journey or flight without booze. I'm not a preachy teetotaler, it's just something I don't understand.

I don't mind drinkers on a train or plane. What annoys me is people who spend the whole time stuffing their face with food. Can't they last for a couple of hours without eating? Same goes for people who are incapable of going to the cinema without munching on loud smelly food.
  • Options
    David_Flanagan1David_Flanagan1 Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I don't mind drinkers on a train or plane. What annoys me is people who spend the whole time stuffing their face with food. Can't they last for a couple of hours without eating? Same goes for people who are incapable of going to the cinema without munching on loud smelly food.

Loud smelly food. Lol. Im with you its annoying. Your turn of phrase made me laugh.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LifeisGood wrote: »
    There was a case a few years ago where a train conductor in Liverpool either got fined or imprisoned in that circumstance.

He was convicted of manslaughter and received a five year sentence.

Mr Justice Holroyde:

"You did not intend to kill or even injure her, but you displayed an appalling disregard for her safety, and she paid for your criminal negligence with her life."
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I bet you were a snitch at school too, weren't you?

i bet they are a petty sort of person that report neighbours for doing stupid little things and grassup coworkers up to the bross>:(
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry to break it to you it's not breaking the law to eat food in the cinema. so you will just have to get over yourself and put up with it there many things in life we just have to put up with.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah, so you mean that passengers will actually police this. I wish I'd thought of that ...
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Since a lot of commuter trains don't have guards / revenue protection officers etc wandering through the carriages just who do they think is going to police it?

Some passenger with a mobile phone probably.

Or are they going to introduce random alcohol searches at stations?

Got to have some evidence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me too >:(

People who bring bag loads of burgers, kebabs and fried chicken on trains, stinking the place out, dropping bits all over and worst of all, they put the greasy bags and paper wrappers on the seats. FFS, who wants to sit on chairs smeared with Burger King grease that leaked out of paper bags? BAN FAST FOOD ON TRAINS.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Or they could mind their own business if people enjoying a tipple are not acting in an obnoxious manner.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to break it to you it's not breaking the law to eat food in the cinema. so you will just have to get over yourself and put up with it there many things in life we just have to put up with.

Of course it isn't against the law to eat in the cinema - it's just something that I find annoying which is one of the reasons why I only go once or twice a year. Similarly, it's not against the low to have a quiet glass of wine on a train or plane.
  • Options
    belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think people are getting smashed on the trains, the passengers that cause the problem are usually already plastered when they get on.

I think it's a mean minded idea and a typical modern way of dealing with a problem. Spoil a pleasure for everyone because of a minority.

When I go away for a weekend with the girls, part of our trip is having bucks fizz for breakfast, hardly hardcore. It looks like even that is going to be stopped....mumble mumble....miserable beggars ......when did everyone turn into joyless moaners ?
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    He was convicted of manslaughter and received a five year sentence.

Mr Justice Holroyde:

"You did not intend to kill or even injure her, but you displayed an appalling disregard for her safety, and she paid for your criminal negligence with her life."
    Which was so totally wrong. The only person who had 'displayed an appalling disregard for her safety' was the victim herself.

She was blind drunk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think those of us against should let the MPs know we are fed up of this growing nanny state and the 'ban it' mentality that seems to grow by the week. There is an election coming up after all
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think those of us against should let the MPs know we are fed up of this growing nanny state and the 'ban it' mentality that seems to grow by the week. There is an election coming up after all

I agree. they'll be telling us how to wipe our arses next
  • Options
    belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They won't care. No doubt you will still be able to order a drink in First Class. It'll be us egg sarnies in a bag that will face prohibition. :cry:
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fleabee wrote: »
    Sounds fair to me. Alcohol is as anti social as ****.

Agreed. No problem at all with this initiative.