A Free Movies channel Sky?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
Forum Member
Wouldn't it be a great idea if Sky were to offer a free movies channel of all the film favorites. Sky still offer a lot of old films on most of the paid movies channels and to be honest it does seem a bit silly paying money to watch 20 year old films available on analogue channels.
I just think it would be a really good idea if Sky were to launch a free movies channel(s) for those that don't have the money for SkyMovies or aren't dire film fanatics and can enjoy a good film now and then.
I'm not saying Film4 isn't great, but an 11am start and B&W films isn't exactly ideal.
The sort of films i'm thinking about:
Rat Race
Home Alone
Flubber
Mrs. Doubtfire
Scary Movie

A movies channel offering all the family favorites and others of films we've all heard of, How great does that sound?

Comments

• thelostonethelostone Posts: 2,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What could it be called sky MOVIES mix,sky MOVIES +,sky MOVIES 1
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    thelostone wrote: »
    What could it be called sky MOVIES mix,sky MOVIES +,sky MOVIES 1

Sky MOVIES Xtra sounds OK
    OR why not
    Sky Films?
  • TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Movies Choice
  • BrianWescombeBrianWescombe Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sofa King wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be a great idea if Sky were to offer a free movies channel of all the film favorites. Sky still offer a lot of old films on most of the paid movies channels and to be honest it does seem a bit silly paying money to watch 20 year old films available on analogue channels.
    I just think it would be a really good idea if Sky were to launch a free movies channel(s) for those that don't have the money for SkyMovies or aren't dire film fanatics and can enjoy a good film now and then.
    I'm not saying Film4 isn't great, but an 11am start and B&W films isn't exactly ideal.
    The sort of films i'm thinking about:
    Rat Race
    Home Alone
    Flubber
    Mrs. Doubtfire
    Scary Movie

A movies channel offering all the family favorites and others of films we've all heard of, How great does that sound?

Out of interest, I added Sky Movies Sci-Fi/Horror to my Digiguide list earlier, just to see what was on. There was about the same 20 films repeated over and over again. People pay for this? With that selection, all of Sky Movies should be free!
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,939
    Forum Member
    Out of interest, I added Sky Movies Sci-Fi/Horror to my Digiguide list earlier, just to see what was on. There was about the same 20 films repeated over and over again. People pay for this? With that selection, all of Sky Movies should be free!

Sky seem to run a fairly limited number of movies on any one of it's channels at any time (IE week to week), the suspicious part of me would almost think they do it to make sure people have to subscribe to all the movie channels to get a reasonable variety.

It used to be slighly different from memory before they split them into "genre" channels, now the only channel that has a real mix is Sky Premier.

I'm not sure why I keep the movie package on my Virgin sub, as I very rarely watch the channels, and i'm much more likely to buy the DVD (or Blu) and watch it whenever I want.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just looked at the Film Finder on Sky Movies red button and across all the movie channels there are 479 different titles in the next seven days.

That's why people pay. And of course no ad breaks and most are in HD with DD5.1 sound.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Just looked at the Film Finder on Sky Movies red button and across all the movie channels there are 479 different titles in the next seven days.

That's why people pay. And of course no ad breaks and most are in HD with DD5.1 sound.

Please remember this is about offering a free movies channel, try not to start another arguement about whether or not Sky movies is worth the money. Running movies channels 24/7 will surely have implications on the programming i.e movies are likely to be repeated.

I'm just focusing on the favorite films, not genre specific classics
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Whats wrong with B&W films?
  • philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,176
    Forum Member
    sky MOVIES selection has a good ring to it!

B&W movies?.... nothing wrong with them!
  • thelostonethelostone Posts: 2,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now about sky MOVIES lite

07.00 Bandlands
    08.45 Cats & Dogs
    10.30 9
    12.00 Back To The Future pII
    14.00 Power Rangers
    15.45 Police Academy 6
    17.30 This Is sky MOVIES
    18.00 9