News of the World Screws Up

ftvftv Posts: 31,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Copy of the News of the World bought in London this morning contains extensive Scottish TV listings (to the exclusion of English ones) and no coverage of the Test match. Lucky also to get any English football. What's going on ?

Comments

• Sven945Sven945 Posts: 4,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the test match finished at about 7am so you're not going to get any of that. I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but it sounds like you've got a Scottish edition there.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sven945 wrote: »
    Well, the test match finished at about 7am so you're not going to get any of that. I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but it sounds like you've got a Scottish edition there.[/QUOTE}

As the paper was delivered at 6.30 am it would have been a miracle to get close-of-play but no report or scoreboard of yesterday's play. Seems rather bizarre to be distributing Scottish editions as part of the London print. Maybe they had problems.Also had Irish Lottery results but not UK lottery, must have gone to press about 3 pm yesterday !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Its not uncommon for the mainline railway stations to stock Scottish papers as people arriving /leaving from/for Scotland want something to read.
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    NOTW is printed before the British Lotto is drawn, that's why they only print Irish Lottery results. But yes, I'd expect a paper bought in London to be the English edition. ftv, did you notice a thistle in the NOTW logo, where the O in World should be? If so, it is indeed the Scottish edition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JAS84 wrote: »
    NOTW is printed before the British Lotto is drawn, that's why they only print Irish Lottery results. But yes, I'd expect a paper bought in London to be the English edition. ftv, did you notice a thistle in the NOTW logo, where the O in World should be? If so, it is indeed the Scottish edition.

No thistle - the thing that alerted me was the TV programmes in the centre were all Scottish. There was also no mention of the test match at all (I assume there must be some people in Scotland interested in cricket !) I would have expected some mention of the previous day's play and the scoreboard.Perhaps it was a rogue copy that somehow crept south (it came straight from my newsagent, nowhere near a railway station).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first ones that go out in London, the copies you can sometimes buy very late on Saturday night, will be Scottish or Northern editions because it takes them longer to be transported.

South east editions are printed last, so I guess you got one of the earlies from Saturday night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clarkanoid wrote: »
    The first ones that go out in London, the copies you can sometimes buy very late on Saturday night, will be Scottish or Northern editions because it takes them longer to be transported.

South east editions are printed last, so I guess you got one of the earlies from Saturday night.

You're about 50 years out of date mate.Scottish editions of the NOTW are printed in Glasgow and northern editions on Merseyside, which makes it all the more puzzling:D