Would Katrina have won last night?

sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In 1997 Katrina and the Waves won by a landslide. I can remember when it was first sung on TV and Terry Wogan confidently predicted that we would win.
Last night as I watched the voting, pre guessing the points awarded, I started to wonder how this barnstormer of a song would have done with all the bloc voting. Top 5 possibly?

Comments

• steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an interesting question, although tbh I think Euphoria was so popular across Europe last night you'd be hard pressed to find anything that could have beaten it.

Now if Euphoria and Fairytale had been entered in the same year...that could have been very interesting.
  • starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find the Katrina song as bland as Fairytale or Euphoria.
  • friendlyguy2friendlyguy2 Posts: 4,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard to compare because in 97 there was jury voting only which is actually based on people listening and watching the song rather than blindly voting the same way the every year on the telephone for the nearest country to yours.

Katrina would have been in the top 10 last night with Love Shine A Light but unlikely to have won because of how good Sweden's entry was and because of the 50% political voting.

It's hard to see the UK, France, Spain or Ireland ever winning the competition again without either a change in the voting format, or a worldwide selling popstar representing one of these countries or education of people to stop voting on political grounds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    It's hard to compare because in 97 there was jury voting only which is actually based on people listening and watching the song rather than blindly voting the same way the every year on the telephone for the nearest country to yours.

Katrina would have been in the top 10 last night with Love Shine A Light but unlikely to have won because of how good Sweden's entry was and because of the 50% political voting.

It's hard to see the UK, France, Spain or Ireland ever winning the competition again without either a change in the voting format, or a worldwide selling popstar representing one of these countries or education of people to stop voting on political grounds.

I don't think some countries like Ireland are trying to win it. They would not have put the same 'singers' in as last year if they were trying to win.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

Why - Germany won two years ago - so why can't the UK, France or Spain. 3 years ago Norway won by a landslide - in this year's final it came last!

If you send a strong song you can win whereever you are from - although it helps if you get someone from Sweden to write the song:D. Political/neighbourly voting will always lead to Russia/Azerbaijan/Turkey doing disproportionately well but the best song usually still wins!