Options

When did Family Guy become completely unfunny?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
Forum Member
I made an effort to watch one of the new Family Guys on Sunday night (as opposed to one of the repeats that I usually catch during the week) and whilst I don't often laugh out loud at the show, the new one seemed totally devoid of humour or jokes.

Flat gags, a prolonged chicken fight scene (only funny the first time guys), and just really boring.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The humour is in the irony :D
  • Options
    oldhagoldhag Posts: 2,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The second one last night night was qute good. I agree the first one missed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    The start of last season went rapidly downhill...
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It got lazy, and old, very quickly.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    It was always unfunny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Shock factor was all there was in the end.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been at US pace for the past few years due to never knowing when the BBC (or FX) show the new stuff.

The last couple of seasons (9 and 10) have been outstanding IMO. Some absolutely brilliant episodes.

It did go through a very poor patch though and I even considered ditching it, but i'm certainly glad i stuck with it.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Stewie, but how come he's still a baby after 10 years! :p
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I've been at US pace for the past few years due to never knowing when the BBC (or FX) show the new stuff.

The last couple of seasons (9 and 10) have been outstanding IMO. Some absolutely brilliant episodes.

It did go through a very poor patch though and I even considered ditching it, but i'm certainly glad i stuck with it.

Unfortunately I have to disagree. I thought the last season in particular was, on the whole, pretty lazy. There were a couple of great episodes (Back to the Pilot was pretty good) but mostly it tends to rely on thinner and thinner plots and lazy toilet/shock value humour.

There's usually a couple of great moments per episode still but that never makes up for the ropey and inconsistent writing IMO.

I'm a recent convert to American Dad which I think is now vastly superior to Family Guy in every single way. I only got into it in the last year but it's brilliant, brilliant television. And unlike FG which has declined in recent years AD just gets better and better.
  • Options
    OminousGloryOminousGlory Posts: 5,019
    Forum Member
    They'd make fun of a music video and then show the entire video which would be five minutes long. It also became seriously lazy as others have said.
  • Options
    rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I love Stewie, but how come he's still a baby after 10 years! :p

Same reason Bart Simpson is 10, Lisa is 8 and Maggie is a baby after 20 odd years, ITS A CARTOON not real life :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rkid wrote: »
    Same reason Bart Simpson is 10, Lisa is 8 and Maggie is a baby after 20 odd years, ITS A CARTOON not real life :rolleyes:

Clearly you don't get irony! I love people like you who bite like that. As if I needed telling, :D
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    I'm a recent convert to American Dad which I think is now vastly superior to Family Guy in every single way. I only got into it in the last year but it's brilliant, brilliant television. And unlike FG which has declined in recent years AD just gets better and better.

Exactly the same for me! Took me a long time to come around to American Dad, but it's tied with South Park for me.

Roger is one of the great comedy characters.

FG has gone stale, hopefully these series can see a return to form. Can't agree that the last two seasons have been outstanding at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agent F wrote: »
    And unlike FG which has declined in recent years AD just gets better and better.

Funny you should say that because when I thought FG was very poor, I was enjoying American Dad a great deal. When FG started to improve, American Dad got a lot worse, to the point where I actually thought they'd switched writing teams ..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    It still makes me laugh although its not as good as it once was.

The Taken episode was great:D
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I still love it, yes it has weaker episodes but oh the characters are so good, Stewie became under utilised - that's my only gripe.
  • Options
    deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diary_room wrote: »
    a prolonged chicken fight scene (only funny the first time guys)

It was never funny to begin with.
  • Options
    Yog101Yog101 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ditched it after they showing a whole Conway Twitty song and they entire video to 'Dancing in the Street'.

Seemed to be a sign that they lacked in ideas so filled up 3 of the 20 minutes with crap like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yog101 wrote: »
    I ditched it after they showing a whole Conway Twitty song and they entire video to 'Dancing in the Street'.

Seemed to be a sign that they lacked in ideas so filled up 3 of the 20 minutes with crap like that.

I remember those episodes. There was also a song and dance number that went on for nearly half of the entire episode which was just painful.

How I didn't drop it then I don't know, but i'm certainly glad I stuck it out. That said, the season 11 opener on sunday wasn't the best episode i've ever seen :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As risque as Family Guy is, I've always found it amusing that they never have, or were probably allowed, to show a cartoon penis or breasts. Now that is funny. As close as it comes are the testicles on Peter's chin! :p
  • Options
    AvillerAviller Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    AD is awesome. But then again Seth MacFarlane has virtually nothing to do with the show aside from voicing a number of characters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 194
    Forum Member
    TBH this is one show I never really 'got' and have never found it funny and often wondered what all the fuss was about.
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both of Sunday's episodes were absolutely hilarious.

For people who are so dismissive, I wonder what their favourite comedies are at the moment. People just like different things, doesn't make it either great tv or rubbish, really.
  • Options
    Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Regards to FG, by adding so many "Remember when" cutaways and long drawn out scenes, do the writers not think that many people will get bored of this? Or like some and not be fussed with others? Surely the law of averages suggests this is the case. No, they can't all be knockouts, but then why so many?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    As risque as Family Guy is, I've always found it amusing that they never have, or were probably allowed, to show a cartoon penis or breasts. Now that is funny. As close as it comes are the testicles on Peter's chin! :p

The US to conservative, especially with male nudity. To my knowledge FG has never even tried but AD had to blur Stan's backside outside out from the episode where he becomes addicted to masturbation, and Steve's penis was blurred in 20000 candles...

South Park has shown a penis or two uncut/blurred though...