Yoko Ono Appreciation

crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Yes! This lady always gets so much hate, it's very unjust!

She has made lots of exceptional music!

OK she sometimes likes to scream, wail, spit and growl but that's why I love her! :D

This thread is for fans and for people willing to open their minds and give her a chance NOT for being an ill informed bitch! :p

Listen to these randoms:

Move On Fast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUcUaPlUzFs

Yellow Girl (Stand By For Life)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abrlx2z7l5Q

No, No, No
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_59e9V1TEkI

Spec of Dust
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8kJbzXFWkk]

Catman (The Rosies Are Coming)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeCR-bumAwI

What A Bastard The World Is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8k4lN3Kd28

I couldn't find too much on Youtube especially from her "Rising" album which is one of her best!

She is so underrated as a music artist!!She offers something different and diverse, she doesn't have a technically gifted voice but that isn't what Yoko is about she's far too interesting for that! ;):D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately for Yoko she garners a lot of heat and hatred due to her "Beatles affilation"....but if people ignored the words/media manipulation people would understand her more maybe....but her msuic is also very much avant-garde of the highes form...some material i find hard getting into but damn there is no denying she is a cool individual and one of the most important females in popular music....and i agree with some of these...some ingenius songs there

And yeah her wailing and spitting can be pretty fun!
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad someone replied! LOL Glad you appreciate her, she can be hard to stomach at first but with some time you should be able to appreciate what she is all about and love her! (Fingers crossed!) :P

Really though some of her music is the best I've ever heard on a personal note.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazymonk wrote: »
    Glad someone replied! LOL Glad you appreciate her, she can be hard to stomach at first but with some time you should be able to appreciate what she is all about and love her! (Fingers crossed!) :P

hehe i do know what you mean i mean on some levels you can call her music "awful" i mean these are people that do not appreciate "art" by definition as opposed to what is "marketed to them" you know?

In time her music may resurface and get a new lease of life...but i feel it may be when its too late...but alas...:D and tis a pleasure ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah she'll only get recognition when all of The Beatles stans die out, which will be never! lol
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    I'm a huge Beatles fan but I love Yoko and her music too.

Anyone who thinks she split them up is just following the same old cliche. The Beatles manager dying I think is what first started their demise, Yoko was fortunately there as someone for John to collaborate with as The Beatles ended.

I think some of her tunes are great especially Mrs Lennon and Listen The Snow Is Falling.

I always like the fact that her song Walking On Thin Ice was a kind of precursor to the electronic style that would dominate the music charts in the 80's.
  • icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really a fan but she keeps retweeting me for some reason .
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    They make decent AV amps but I prefer the sound of Denon or Pioneer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a huge Beatles fan but I love Yoko and her music too.

Anyone who thinks she split them up is just following the same old cliche. The Beatles manager dying I think is what first started their demise, Yoko was fortunately there as someone for John to collaborate with as The Beatles ended.

I think some of her tunes are great especially Mrs Lennon and Listen The Snow Is Falling.

I always like the fact that her song Walking On Thin Ice was a kind of precursor to the electronic style that would dominate the music charts in the 80's.

yes i LOVE Walking On Thin Ice!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    meglosmurmurs - Great to hear you like her music! I think her work is so underrated, so so underrated, she's a real artist in my view.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then Im sorry to hear of your infliction
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL!

I did say this thread is not for haters. ;)

She is a great artist in my opinion, very unconventional perhaps but top notch, no she doesn't sing like Whitney but she has very interesting and great music in my opinion.

Try the albums "Approximately Infinite Universe" & "Rising" when you feel like opening your mind and trying something a bit different.
    Forum Member
    It was Yoko's 80th birthday yesterday.

I hope I'm still as fit on my feet as she is when I'm that age.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy 80th Yoko!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Belated Happy Birthday Yoko! Love her! Sad not many people "get her".

Probably my favourite female artist, there I said it!! :P
  • pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Approximately Infinite Universe is one of my favourite albums ever. I love Yoko, her biggest problem is that she's an avant garde musician who was pushed into the pop limelight; a lot of people just don't get it.

Favourite songs? Remember Love, We're All Water and Winter Song. All sublime in entirely different ways.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pmw_hewitt wrote: »
    Approximately Infinite Universe is one of my favourite albums ever. I love Yoko, her biggest problem is that she's an avant garde musician who was pushed into the pop limelight; a lot of people just don't get it.

Favourite songs? Remember Love, We're All Water and Winter Song. All sublime in entirely different ways.

Wow!!! yes glad you like her, she is very underrated, hating her is just the thing to do it seems!:yawn:
    Forum Member
    Love the sudden bursting intro of We're All Water, the nutty mix of drums, guitar, saxophone, piano and Yoko's vocals. It's like a rollercoaster ride of a song.

Though my favourite track of Yoko's from that album is Born In A Prison. It's a great chill-out song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bV2gQ4oOTZ4
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yoko Ono will be the curator of the 2013 Meltdown Festival in June and it's a blinding line-up already. The Plastic Ono Band will open the event on the 14th June, and then Yoko Ono and "special guests" will close the festival on the 23rd (my birthday!) by performing Double Fantasy in its entirety.

Also performing on the bill are the likes of Siouxsie Sioux, Boy George, Thurston Moore, Iggy & The Stooges, Marianne Faithfull, Pet Shop Boys, Patti Smith and Ryuichi Sakamoto, plus others. Also, Yoko will be showing a series of films which include the avant-garde films she worked on with John Lennon. Two of her famous art exhibitions will also take place, those being Sky Piece To Jesus Christ and Peaches performing the infamous Cut Piece.

There will also be debates, a "silent disco" and much more to be announced. I can't wait!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great event, glad Yoko is curating! *Cool*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Oh wow! I didn't realise this thread existed! I'm usually not one for appreciation threads but reckon poor Yoko needs one to keep the 'bitch that killed the Beatles' brigade out! :p
    Anyhoo, I'm just a beginner with Yoko I own (and adore!) Yes, I'm A Witch, the Walking On Thin Ice compilation and have ordered Approximately Infinite Universe.
    Was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations of where to go next? And has anyone heard her stuff with Kim and Thurston?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woooo a genuine fan and not a hateful mongrel!! :p

Approximately is a great start, good choice! I also love Rising, Blueprint For A Sunrise, Fly, Feeling The Space....give those a listen too. :D

Oh and yes the Kim/Thurston album is an amazing avant garde record, not something everyone would appreciate though, not a good start in my opinion!;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Woooo a genuine fan and not a hateful mongrel!! :p

Approximately is a great start, good choice! I also love Rising, Blueprint For A Sunrise, Fly, Feeling The Space....give those a listen too. :D

Oh and yes the Kim/Thurston album is an amazing avant garde record, not something everyone would appreciate though, not a good start in my opinion!;)

Thanks very much for the recommendations, I've got a lot of stuff to look forward to! I really love Approximately.. I've been listening to it a lot. I found Between My Head & The Sky today second hand for £3 so am looking forward to hearing that too, she really is amazing!
    Haha! I guessed the Kim and Thurston collaboration wouldn't exactly be easy-listening, I do love them though so will have to check it out at some point.
    Oh and I just saw this gif on Tumblr, it's fabulous and sums up the bad feelings towards her. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL at that gif, it's marvelous! :D Hope you enjoy yourself, come back and talk about the music! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone going to her concert at the Royal Festival Hall next Friday? I can't wait!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pmw_hewitt wrote: »
    Anyone going to her concert at the Royal Festival Hall next Friday? I can't wait!

Sadly not! :cry: Let us know how it was though, it looks like an incredible event!!:D