Options

The Returned (Les Revenants) heading to Channel 4 - spoilers in tags (Merged)

TV DUNIYATV DUNIYA Posts: 6,772
Forum Member
French TV series has been picked up by Channel 4.
No air date mentioned in the linked article.

Comments

• Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member
    Oh I got bit excited there thinking we may have another good series to watch, but it's not my kind of thing :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/03/channel-4-acquires-uk-rights-to-french-zombie-drama-series-les-revenants/

French supernatural show that's coming to Channel 4 in the summer, see link above. I've just started watching it and although it's described in the article as a zombie series (don't want to get into a debate about zombie definitions) the characters that have returned from the dead look completely normal, rather than the 'Walking Dead' or '28 days later' look. I'm hooked and will probably whizz through the episodes over the weekend.

If you liked the X-files, In the Flesh or The Fades you'll like this.

Currently available on the interweb it you look hard enough.;)
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to it.
  • Options
    LuaneLuane Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Cool ! A French show coming in UK ! Good idea. Anyway, Les Revenants is a very great show. I've watched this a few months ago and i wasn't disappointed. The plot is very interesting, not boring. There is so realism that it's terrifying sometimes. I encourage everyone who likes supernatural or zombie stories to watch this series
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Luane wrote: »
    Cool ! A French show coming in UK ! Good idea. Anyway, Les Revenants is a very great show. I've watched this a few months ago and i wasn't disappointed. The plot is very interesting, not boring. There is so realism that it's terrifying sometimes. I encourage everyone who likes supernatural or zombie stories to watch this series

It's not the first French programme that's shown over here

Engrenages (known here as Spiral)

Braquo

Another channel has just gotten the right to "Jo" staring Jean Reno
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen the first couple of episodes on YouTube (in French without subtitles, so you'll need to brush up on your French to understand it!) and I think it's very good. The premise is great - people returning from the dead for no apparent reason and carrying on like nothing has happened!

Well worth a look.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the concept, trouble is I dislike watching shows with subtitles as I spend all my time reading them and not absorbing what is on the screen, still nice to see UK broadcasters reaching out for none English shows more and more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Channel 4 have released a trailer for the show, which they are now calling The Returned

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a484549/channel-4-debuts-zombie-drama-the-returned-trailer-watch.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Not sure if this'll be my bag but massive kudos to C4 for putting subtitled drama in such a high profile slot.

I hope it pays of for them.
  • Options
    kingofscotlandkingofscotland Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's called 'The Returned' and begins on C4 at 9pm Sunday 9th June.

Channel 4 programme page
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's called 'The Returned' and begins on C4 at 9pm Sunday 9th June.

Channel 4 programme page

Samir Guesmi who plays the police chief has appeared on British tv before in several episodes of the second season of French crime drama Spiral
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to this. Can we use this thread as a no spoiler thread? For those of us who haven't seen any of it yet. That would be much appreciated thanks.

Maybe the OP can alter the thread name to reflect the title Ch4 have gone with. The Returned?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The opener is repeated on 4Seven on Monday at 11:05pm. In case of any scheduling conflicts. I imagine it will be available on 4OD soon after broadcast. Don't use that iPlayer at all so can't be sure about that.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't going to bother with this, subtitles aren't my thing, but having just seen a clip on The Wright Stuff..I think I shall give it a go!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    According to the Weekend section of today's Mail there is a British version in the works written by Paul "Shameless" Abbott
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    According to the Weekend section of today's Mail there is a British version in the works written by Paul "Shameless" Abbott

TVRage mentioned this as well - Contains Spoilers!!!
    http://www.tvrage.com/news/4363/shameless-paul-abbott-adapting-les-revenants-for-english-audiences

PS
    Never took you for a fan of the Mail, Verence:p:D:D
  • Options
    Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if this'll be my bag but massive kudos to C4 for putting subtitled drama in such a high profile slot.

"Massive kudos" for buying a show made by another broadcaster ?
    That's all C4 ever does.

Anyhoo, sounds awful, will this Undead/Zombie/Vampire fad ever die out so we can get back to TV drama about realistic people and events.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Massive kudos" for buying a show made by another broadcaster ?
    That's all C4 ever does.

Anyhoo, sounds awful, will this Undead/Zombie/Vampire fad ever die out so we can get back to TV drama about realistic people and events.

If you are seriously unable to find TV drama based in reality - ie non-fantasy related - then I would respectfully suggest the fault lies with you, not the broadcasters. There's tons of it out there. Really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    TVRage mentioned this as well - Contains Spoilers!!!
    http://www.tvrage.com/news/4363/shameless-paul-abbott-adapting-les-revenants-for-english-audiences

PS
    Never took you for a fan of the Mail, Verence:p:D:D

I'm not as such however but my dad buys it ever day and "Weekend" is the only bit I read
  • Options
    AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,049
    Forum Member
    I was looking for this thread in the "Cult" forum :confused:
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have preferred it to be dubbed, as foreign programmes and films used to be, but I suppose it is cheaper to add sub-titles.

It will be a chance to brush up on my very rusty French, but I don't remember much reference in school to zombies, so perhaps my French vocabulary will be expanded!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Dubbing really detracts from the experience for me, as it doesn't quite feel as authentic as watching the original piece.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to this. I love Spiral which is also French and starred Samir Guesmi - I'm pleased to hear that he will be in this too! I was going to record this on series link and watch it as a 'box set' once it had finished (What I've done with Arne Dahl) but I don't do anything on a Sunday, so thought I may as well just watch it live tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Canadian GP for me now. Set The Returned to record so will watch after the race has finished. Hope this gets good ratings for CH4. I read in a Guardian article that it's the first foreign subtitled drama on CH4 for 20 years. They didn't mention which was the last one shown unfortunately.