Options

BT Sport and Freeview?

Having got a BT Youview box from BT a couple of weeks ago I rang them yesterday and asked whether BT Sport would be on Freeview and how I would receive it.

They said they will be sending out cards to decrypt the signal. I pointed out the box does not have a card slot so they put me through to Customer services. :rolleyes:

They said they hadn't been given all info yet and were unsure what was happening. :mad:

I am confused!! :confused::confused:

Does anyone know if BT Sport will be broadcast on Freeview and how it will be received by Youview boxes?

Mikembe

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Only if you have Infinity (it'll be delivered over your internet connection):

BT Sport will be available on YouView this summer. YouView customers who have BT Infinity by 1 August will receive a software upgrade and automatically receive BT Sport this summer. To qualify for this, you need to have bought your YouView box directly from BT.
    All BT Broadband customers with YouView from BT will be able to watch online at btsport.com and download the app to watch on their smartphone and tablet.
    Customers without BT Infinity can get BT Sport 1 and BT Sport 2 in standard definition, but will need a BT Vision+ box rather than a YouView box.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    As Indiekid has pointed out, the current official line is that if you don't have Infinity then you'll need a BT Vision box to receive BT Sports on your TV.

However, it feels like there's a missing piece of the jigsaw that BT haven't revealed yet that may mean that this official line isn't the case. Here's some thoughts why?

1) There are a lot of customers who have just bought a youview box - to move them back to a BT Vision seems a little crazy.

2) If you can't get Infinity but want BT Sports then you can only register your interest currently - potentially because BT have something up their sleeve regarding delivery.

3) And, as has been discussed in other threads, BT may not restrict the delivering to broadband channels to just Infinity if your ADSL line delivers the appropriate speed.

I think it's a case of watch this space... :)
  • Options
    MikembeMikembe Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Thanks. :confused: I think.

Sounds like BT have got the Cart before the Horse! :D

Presumably they will broadcast BT Sport via Digital terrestrial and send some sort of over air/broadband download to Youview boxes, enabling viewing, or else they will have an astronomical expense in changing all the recently delivered Youview boxes to BT Vision boxes. :eek:

Will wait and see.

Mikembe
  • Options
    loey_yyloey_yy Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Well, here's what I was told.

When I called to enquire (as a BT Broadband, TV and calls customer with a Youview box, but in a non-infinity area) whether I can get BT Sport on my TV, I was told not at present. However........

They took my details, said they are working on getting it onto DTT by apparently using Channels 18 & 21 (4Music & Viva).

They said I can expect a call from their IT people over the next month or so to tell me how to access it.

Fingers crossed................
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting thread, so YouView boxes may well be able to decipher encoded DTT channels?
  • Options
    VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT Sport on the BT TV Platforms

1. We will provide you with access to BT Sport on BT Vision or YouView over your BT Broadband connection or on BT Vision over DTT.

2. If we provide you with access to BT Sport on BT Vision over DTT you will need a suitable TV aerial, a compatible BT Vision box and a viewing card.

3. If we provide you with access to BT Sport on BT Vision or YouView over your BT Broadband connection you will need a compatible BT Vision box or YouView box provided by us.

4. If we broadcast the BT Sport Pack on BT Vision over BT Copper Broadband (these channels) you will not be able to watch content on one of these channels and record content on another of these channels at the same time. However you will be able to watch channels broadcast on DTT and record content from one of these channels broadcast over BT Copper Broadband (or vice versa) at the same time.

5. If we provide you with access to BT Sport on YouView you will not be able to record, rewind or pause the BT Sport Channels until this functionality is made available on YouView.

6. If you access the BT Sport Pack on BT Vision over DTT you will not be able to access the ESPN channel live but will be able to access ESPN video on demand programming.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=35951

And further info here -

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=35950&pageTitle=Sport%20Terms%20and%20Conditions

Hope that helps. Some. :)
  • Options
    MikembeMikembe Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Thanks VisionMan1

So it does seem likely BT Sport will be accessible via a Youview box.

Just appears they have got some work to do.

Mmmmm:rolleyes: "Cart before Horse" but they've got 2 months left to sort it all out.

At least those with SKY will get it via their SKY box if they register their viewing card no. :confused::eek:

Mikembe
  • Options
    billingebillinge Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    I'm hearing from Frequency Cast that BT will swap over the air transmission of Sky Sports for BT Sports, but how will this work, if TopUpTV also offer Sky Sports over the air? Will TopUpTV then need to switch to offering BT Sports instead, or lose sports altogether? or do they use an alternative method?
    Who knew DTT had so much available bandwidth...
  • Options
    MJH1962MJH1962 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    billinge wrote: »
    I'm hearing from Frequency Cast that BT will swap over the air transmission of Sky Sports for BT Sports, but how will this work, if TopUpTV also offer Sky Sports over the air? Will TopUpTV then need to switch to offering BT Sports instead, or lose sports altogether? or do they use an alternative method?
    Who knew DTT had so much available bandwidth...

TUTV is not getting BT Sport, a decision made by BT to only deal direct with subscribers. TUTV is, as a result, pulling out of the sports channels market and has advised customers to sign up with Sky instead.

Yes, BT Sport will be broadcast in place of Sky Sports on DTT, but you can only receive it if you are a BT Broadband customer or via satellite at £12 per month if you don't want BT broadband.