Options

Gravity

Comments

• Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ My issue is not that her mistakes were unrealistic, but that I didn't enjoy watching her make them.
  • Options
    InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    I loved most of it, and Bullock was grand :) Didn't know how I'd like her as I usually find her annoying. This was the best use of 3d i have seen in a film, admittedly i've only seen about 6 films in the cinema

There didn't seem to be too much suspension of disbelief apart from one scene that I rolled my eyes at
    the decompressed ejection with the hope of a FLIPPING FIRE EXTINGUISHER getting her to safety on the Chinese satellite
    I mean really!
    The camera work was amazing and I sense at least 5 nominations in the Academy Awards:
    Actress
    Supporting Actor
    Score
    Screen Play
    Cinematography

And hopefully Director as Alfonso Cuaron is a superb one. Anone else notice the foetal symbolism in all of his movies so far? Very recurrent.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    InTheLoop wrote: »
    I loved most of it, and Bullock was grand :) Didn't know how I'd like her as I usually find her annoying. This was the best use of 3d i have seen in a film, admittedly i've only seen about 6 films in the cinema

There didn't seem to be too much suspension of disbelief apart from one scene that I rolled my eyes at
    the decompressed ejection with the hope of a FLIPPING FIRE EXTINGUISHER getting her to safety on the Chinese satellite
    I mean really!
    The camera work was amazing and I sense at least 5 nominations in the Academy Awards:
    Actress
    Supporting Actor
    Score
    Screen Play
    Cinematography

And hopefully Director as Alfonso Cuaron is a superb one. Anone else notice the foetal symbolism in all of his movies so far? Very recurrent.

I have to say the event you mentioned in your spoiler did seem a little silly to me, the only point at which I thought WFT?
    The dream sequence- I didnt have a prob with that at all, I think some others have. Its perfectly plausible that insight could come to someone via that medium.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am off to see this tonight.

I normally resent having to pay the extra for 3D but after reading reviews and this thread it sounds like the best way to watch it.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    InTheLoop wrote: »
    Actress
    Supporting Actor
    Score
    Screen Play
    Cinematography

I'd expect Best Visual Effects and Best Production Design in addition to Best Cinematography. I don't see how anything else in the nomination period could possibly top Gravity for those.

Am off to see this tonight.

I normally resent having to pay the extra for 3D but after reading reviews and this thread it sounds like the best way to watch it.

It is!

I don't usually like 3D. IMO, aside from e.g. Avatar and Prometheus most 3D films seem to make little use of the format and are only 3D so as to make more money.

But this was brilliant in 3D... It's even made me re-evaluate whether to get a 3D TV next time I upgrade my setup at home.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be seeing this for a second time next weekend... but instead of at my local Picturehouse it will be at the BFI IMAX in London... my first time at the biggest screen in the country! :D
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought it was amazing. Was so nervous watching it. Have to say, Sandra has never ever come across like a great actress to me, but WOW. Beautiful performance. She was truly magnificent. Going to see it again tomorrow.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone else notice this or did I imagine it?

Spoiler!

During Bullocks spacewalk on the ISS where she is trying to unhook the parachute cable, as the satellite debris starts to hit and she is being thrown around, it sounded like the cry of a child shouting 'Mummy' was heard on the soundtrack to me.

Did anyone else hear this?
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member

Spoiler!

During Bullocks spacewalk on the ISS where she is trying to unhook the parachute cable, as the satellite debris starts to hit and she is being thrown around, it sounded like the cry of a child shouting 'Mummy' was heard on the soundtrack to me.

Did anyone else hear this?

It slipped my mind until you mentioned it. YES...I definitely heard it too.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WOW is how I would describe it. definetly a great cinema experience. It looked and sounded incredible. possibly my cinema film of the year.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Spoiler!

I love how you announce the spoiler but then just go right ahead and post it without spoiler tags :D
  • Options
    digipersondigiperson Posts: 4,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this in 3D last night.

I left feeling it was one of the worst films I have ever seen.

Bullock and Clooney should be ashamed for signing up to a boring, lifeless story, where I had no care what happened to the characters whatsoever.

The dialogue throughout the entire film was childish and, in some cases, pointless. We did not need Bullock narrating every aspect of what she was doing.

Eeenie meany miney mo? Get real.

The 3D effects were good, but it is not enough to carry the story.

0/5.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    don't get the hate for Blocks narration. maybe she was hoping Houston would hear anything she said. Earlier in the film she & Cloney were desperate to re-establish contact with them...
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    digiperson wrote: »
    I saw this in 3D last night.

I left feeling it was one of the worst films I have ever seen.

Bullock and Clooney should be ashamed for signing up to a boring, lifeless story, where I had no care what happened to the characters whatsoever.

The dialogue throughout the entire film was childish and, in some cases, pointless. We did not need Bullock narrating every aspect of what she was doing.

Eeenie meany miney mo? Get real.

The 3D effects were good, but it is not enough to carry the story.

0/5.

You sound very much like a friend of mine. After I saw the film I told him to steer clear as I knew he'd hate it because he can't stand films where there's just one or two characters or anything that is overly emotional - you're not a horror fan are you ? :)

The "narration" aspect was explained in the story by saying that they had to keep talking and telling NASA what they were doing in case they could hear them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Amazing film, saw it in 3D

Sandra Bullock was phenomenal in my opinion, but the most incredible aspect is the score and the cinematography.

I don't think I'll watch it again though, it's one of those once in a lifetime in a cinema kind of films.

Had me teary eyed constantly.

10/10
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    I went yesterday and for the first time in three years went to a 3D screening. I think the last 3D film I saw was Avatar. After sitting through what seemed like the longest set of ads and trailers ever (around 35 minutes) the film finally arrived. Another film that could not live up to the hype. It wasnt "the greatest film ever made". But it was very well made and the 3D was good. Sandra Bullock was very good in it. But I found myself losing interest at times. I wasnt gripped by it at all. But thats hype for you. It can never live up to it. The guy on Film 2013 said it was the film cinema was made for as if we have waited 100 years for this film. The reviews are too over the top.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    I saw this yesterday. It didn't get off to a great start as the mid-range audio level was set way too high, making the sound actually unpleasant. I complained to the duty manageress and she directed me to another auditorium where the sound was, fortunately, correct.

Basically, it's Sandra Bullock in a space suit, bumping into things and crying a lot. It then starts to get very silly.

I managed to sit through that tedious action movie cliché
    where the heroine outruns a fireball
    but the needle lurched into the red zone on the Oh FFS-ometer when
    Bullock bailed out of a perfectly serviceable spacecraft with nothing but a fire extinguisher.
    At that point I had to leave to avoid what looked like
    La Bullock plunging to Earth, astride a satellite in an unconscious homage to the end of Doctor Strangelove, and somehow not burning up in the atmosphere whilst doing so.

Apart from the silly plot lines mentioned above, the main problem is that Sandra Bullock just hasn't got the acting ability to carry a film on her own. Don't get me wrong; she's a competent enough actress, far better then her largely abysmal back catalogue would suggest but you've really got to be something special to pull off a role like this.

Christ only knows why the critics are raving about it. Maybe they've sat through so many noisy CGI cartoons like Iron Man and Thor recently that anything that doesn't look like a two-hour homoerotic music video comes as a blessed relief. The film's desperately trying to be profound and meaningful and, well, isn't. It's this year's Dances with Wolves. It'll clean up at the Oscars (and, to be fair, deservedly so for special effects) but in five years' time, we'll wonder what all the fuss was about.
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this yesterday. It didn't get off to a great start as the mid-range audio level was set way too high, making the sound actually unpleasant. I complained to the duty manageress and she directed me to another auditorium where the sound was, fortunately, correct.

Basically, it's Sandra Bullock in a space suit, bumping into things and crying a lot. It then starts to get very silly.

I managed to sit through that tedious action movie cliché
    where the heroine outruns a fireball
    but the needle lurched into the red zone on the Oh FFS-ometer when
    Bullock bailed out of a perfectly serviceable spacecraft with nothing but a fire extinguisher.
    At that point I had to leave to avoid what looked like
    La Bullock plunging to Earth, astride a satellite in an unconscious homage to the end of Doctor Strangelove, and somehow not burning up in the atmosphere whilst doing so.

Apart from the silly plot lines mentioned above, the main problem is that Sandra Bullock just hasn't got the acting ability to carry a film on her own. Don't get me wrong; she's a competent enough actress, far better then her largely abysmal back catalogue would suggest but you've really got to be something special to pull off a role like this.

Christ only knows why the critics are raving about it. Maybe they've sat through so many noisy CGI cartoons like Iron Man and Thor recently that anything that doesn't look like a two-hour homoerotic music video comes as a blessed relief. The film's desperately trying to be profound and meaningful and, well, isn't. It's this year's Dances with Wolves. It'll clean up at the Oscars (and, to be fair, deservedly so for special effects) but in five years' time, we'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

OK...the first spoiler I will grant is a cliché, no argument.

The second...
    the craft was NOT serviceable, the chute had been deployed for re entry and wrapped itself around the craft. No way would it have made it back to earth. And a fire extinguisher would have the same thrust effect of the thrusters on a spacesuit, but with obviously far less manoeverability

The third...
    Whoah! Did you fall asleep and dream this? She was INSIDE one of the command modules which was designed for re entry, heat shield and all. Problem is it was still attached to the rest of the space station and she had to just sit in it and hope for the best.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The third...
    Whoah! Did you fall asleep and dream this? She was INSIDE one of the command modules which was designed for re entry, heat shield and all. Problem is it was still attached to the rest of the space station and she had to just sit in it and hope for the best.

Ha ha! OK, I was speculating about the ending because I left before that point. The film was just getting too silly.:cry:
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well just come back from watching it in IMAX 3D and very unimpressed I didnt like it one bit. wasnt even impressed by the 3D. the 3D in the hobbit trailer before the film was better than anything in the film

4/10 waste of money
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    ......the main problem is that Sandra Bullock just hasn't got the acting ability to carry a film on her own

Sandra Bullock is not an actress...she's a film star. She pulled the same faces in Gravity as she did in Speed.

As for Clooney...still can't figure out why he was picked for this film :confused:
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NASA would never have let either of them into space clooney was far to nonchalant and bullock too emotionally unstable
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NASA would never have let either of them into space clooney was far to nonchalant and bullock too emotionally unstable

This whole 'willing suspension of disbelief' thing is just lost on you, isn't it?:D
  • Options
    SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,907
    Forum Member
    well just come back from watching it in IMAX 3D and very unimpressed I didnt like it one bit. wasnt even impressed by the 3D. the 3D in the hobbit trailer before the film was better than anything in the film

4/10 waste of money

You must've liked it at least a tiny bit to give it a 4? Surely a more accurate mark for a film you don't like at all is a 1 or 2?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus some people on DS are just too hard to please.

Anyway saw it yesterday. Amazing. Hopefully seeing it again wednesday Just one question what is the 3D like in non IMAX screens?