Found a gun in the loft

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of years ago I had to carry a sword on a tube train. I rang London Transport, and found that they do indeed have a policy for carrying swords on tube trains. :D who knew?

Ps If anyone else ever needs to carry a sword on a tube train, you have to wrap it in lots of layers of bubble wrap, then brown paper, and tie the whole thing firmly so it cannot be accessed.

My swash has been buckled ;)
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Well, I've no doubt that in the majority of cases you are right, but clearly there was one case where it want horribly wrong for the innocent man who handed in the gun and faced a strict liability charge of possession.

As a police officer, can you personally guarantee to the OP that no such action would happen in her case?

Not a risk I would take - up to others what they would do. I find a gun in my house, it gets chucked in the cut late at night, never to be seen or heard of again.

Paranoid, much?

There are possible consequences to disposing of a weapon too.

I cannot fathom why anyone would get into trouble by not touching the thing and phoning the police to come and get it.
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you take a photo of it and post it on here?

If it is a firearm then you can call the police and let them deal with it.

If it is an air rifle then you may be able to take it to your nearest gun shop and let them sell it for you.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    I'd just chuck it in the nearest canal or river after dark.

To be honest, there is NO WAY I'd hand it to the police. If you do, expect a load of hassle, questioning and even possible arrest.

Imagine what might have happened if they'd had to search your house for other reasons, and found it then.

If i knew someone was disposing of a gun by lobbing it into a canal or river i would write a very stern letter to my local MP
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    I'd just chuck it in the nearest canal or river after dark.

To be honest, there is NO WAY I'd hand it to the police. If you do, expect a load of hassle, questioning and even possible arrest.

Imagine what might have happened if they'd had to search your house for other reasons, and found it then.

Imagine what would happen if they stop you wandering around with a gun in the middle of the night. You usually make a lot of sense bb but you have a blind spot on this one.

Only good advice is ring the police non-emergency as suggested by almost everyone here.
  • chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would likely have just called the police until I read that story, as it is true you are currently "in possession of a firearm" so I understand your nagging doubt.

What about the local rubbish tip, I'd probably just dismantle it and put it in a bag with lots of other crap and just go and throw it out with loads of other bags (possibly ensuring nothing that can identify you is in the bag). I assume bags thrown into the non-recyclable skips just go straight to landfill.

Don't a lot of police forces have gun amnesty days where you can hand anything in without recrimination? Maybe worth searching if there is one coming up in your area.

Bottom couple of paragraphs of this story may be of interest...

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/almost_1_000_guns_handed_in_during_11_day_amnesty_1_3865375
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can't be uncommon. After my Grandfather died, my uncle had to hand in a rifle and a pistol and a lot of various ammunition that gramps had just stashed in some cupboard since the flamin' war.

The police just took them, no bother.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was an amnesty in Derbyshire your local area recently...

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/GUNS-AMNESTY-153-weapons-handed-12-day-amnesty/story-24545650-detail/story.html

One interesting snippet from that story...

There have also been changes to the law surrounding firearms that are classed as antiques, which can be possessed without a certificate if they are classed as a ‘curiosity or ornament’.

You may find you are entitled to keep it as a curiosity! Also begs the question - what if it's valuable, you could be discarding a small fortune!
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    I would likely have just called the police until I read that story, as it is true you are currently "in possession of a firearm" so I understand your nagging doubt.

With the greatest of respect you've done exactly what I spoke about a few posts back, you've fallen hook line and sinker for a misrepresentative newspaper article. There was far more to that case than the gent just happening across the gun, handing it in and being locked up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These chaps are near you...

http://www.sporting-antiques.com/

We are a family concern based in Ashbourne, Derbyshire in the United Kingdom. We have over 30 years of experience in the handling, restoration and sale of antique,vintage and modern shotguns, firearms and militaria.

Maybe take a picture to them and ask about it.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    the police will be asking questions op. what happens if they dont believe your story that you simply found it? the previous owner of the house will deny all knowledge leaving you guys in trouble...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    With the greatest of respect you've done exactly what I spoke about a few posts back, you've fallen hook line and sinker for a misrepresentative newspaper article. There was far more to that case than the gent just happening across the gun, handing it in and being locked up.

Yeah, you're probably right.

But now I've googled a few gunsmiths and noticed it seems old guns could be worth a few hundred quid, I certainly wouldn't be giving it to the police for an entirely different reason until I was sure it was worthless.
  • QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Post a photo of said rifle. It maybe worth a bit of money if you clean it up.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    These chaps are near you...

http://www.sporting-antiques.com/

We are a family concern based in Ashbourne, Derbyshire in the United Kingdom. We have over 30 years of experience in the handling, restoration and sale of antique,vintage and modern shotguns, firearms and militaria.

Maybe take a picture to them and ask about it.
    It's not an antique though, unless the 1970's count as antique?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not an antique though, unless the 1970's count as antique?

Oh, I missed the Webley post.

Still...

http://www.freeads.co.uk/south-west/buy__sell/leisure__hobbies/search?for=webley#.VNuJAkYfyHs
  • Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Call the police and ask someone to come collect it dont go out with it as you will be charged
  • TeganRhanTeganRhan Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wanna know how this plays out now :)
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeganRhan wrote: »
    I just wanna know how this plays out now :)

I'm keeping my eye on the news, expecting a siege or something :D:D
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It can't be uncommon. After my Grandfather died, my uncle had to hand in a rifle and a pistol and a lot of various ammunition that gramps had just stashed in some cupboard since the flamin' war.

The police just took them, no bother.

Mr Lakie's dad shot himself with a .22 rifle that no-one had any idea he had. The police took that away, after closing the road for hours.

They didn't rush though, his sister got to the house first, and she lived about 7 miles away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I'm keeping my eye on the news, expecting a siege or something :D:D
    I'm all up for that as long as it dosnt interupt hollyoaks :D:D:D
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Mr Lakie's dad shot himself with a .22 rifle that no-one had any idea he had. The police took that away, after closing the road for hours.

They didn't rush though, his sister got to the house first, and she lived about 7 miles away.

Accidentally?
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    my dad had a rifle and a gun when I was young (theres even a photo of me posing with the rifle) - pretty sure he didn't have a license and they weren't locked up.

Mind you he also smuggled a flick knife back from Spain

Assuming you and your husband don't have any convictions - phone the police and do it soon as it might look odd if you kept it around.

Have you searched the loft in case theres anything else up there?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having read some if these suggestions I now feel bad for yelling at the soaps "NOOO ONE WOULD DO THAT,JUST CALL THE POLICE!!!"
    ...seems some people would do that
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There blatantly WAS a huge bag of money too, and that's the real reason why you don't wanna involve the fuzz.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband has been clearing out our house day by day and went to put some boxes in the loft and found a rifle up there.

Anyway, the gun is old and rusty, with a wooden body. It looks crap if im honest. Its a rifle with a diameter of about 1.5cm at the end and with one of those bolt things on (which came off when my husband showed me).

I want rid, not because im wary of guns, but concerned about the legality of having one in possession without a license....
    Take some photographs of it and call this place here; http://www.royalarmouries.org/visit-us/leeds

It may well turn out to be of no interest and simply be scrapped.......but!!

The Royal Armouries has in it's possession a gun which was discovered precisely as yours was....in a loft where it had remained for years.

It was a Luger pistol......but an extremely rare one. Despite the countless number made, this turned out to be the very first Luger (German efficiency ensured everything was numbered making it instantly identifiable).

It's not on open display to the general public. I saw it during a private visit to Nottingham Armoury which wasn't open to the public.

Germany has begged for it's return many times but we've refused to hand it back. As will no doubt have been mentioned, during the war returning soldiers came back with many different souvenirs and this Luger would have been one which just got stuck away and forgotten about.